2014 Audi A4 with 125000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Dickl
It was my understanding that there was a "cost savings" change made to these engines....2.0 TFSI.
Initially sounded like with the improvement in machining technology they reduced the piston / cylinder clearance
in order to eliminate or reduce the qty of rings. Supposedly they reverted back to the original design after 2015.

Can you point me to the ring recall notification? The Audi dealer claims no knowledge and says the oil usage in "normal"
Thanks

There was no cost savings. New rings were installed in mid 2012, not after 2015. There was no change in design.
Audi dealer is saying it is normal bcs. it is up to 1qt per 1,000 miles. That could be very well for two reasons:
1. PCV
2. Oil brand/grade. What oil is he using?

From my understanding, those who had done recall had higher consumption. You can find more information on Audizine or similar Audi web forums.

Last edited:
The car goes in for regular maint at an Audi dealer. My son has complained about the oil usage for a long time now.
Wouldnt Audi recommend an oil soak or the oil that you refer to.....What is an oil soak and how is it done? What oil do you recommend?
Thanks

The Audi dealer uses a Castrol synthetic 5W40.
The PVC valves back in the 60's and 70's was a device that plugged into the valve cover and easy to replace.
It was part of the vaccuum system if I recall.
What is the story on this PVC and is it easy to replace AND whay would not the Audi dealer suggest it ?

The PVC valves back in the 60's and 70's was a device that plugged into the valve cover and easy to replace.
What is the story on this PVC and is it easy to replace AND whay would not the Audi dealer suggest it ?

PCV valves relieve pressure (gasses) in the crankcase that builds up due to blow by otherwise the seals would blow out. Oil vapour slipping past piston rings will get rerouted back into the intake system and dirty things up via the PCV valve. A catch can help reduce the amount of oil making it's way back into the intake.

But that's not your problem.. that's why the dealership didn't recommend a catch can or new PCV, which they could very well have already inspected to make sure it's working properly...it's not hard to do, just depends on where it's located on the engine.

If you're going through a qt every 1k than either the oil control ring is shot and/or the intake valve seals are shot and oils bring sucked into the combustion chamber that way. Short of a replacing the rings and the valve seals your options are limited.

Google/YouTube these..

- piston soak to free up stuck rings
- a seal conditioner for a worn valve seal but be advised, sometimes valve seals are worn due to valve stem play/wear in the valve guide... which case seal conditioners won't help
- a solvent engine flush might help free up stuck rings
- a thick oil might help limit the amount slipping past worn seals and stuck rings.

Otherwise..look into any TSB's on your problem. The TSB will spell out what, if any, action is to be taken by the dealership.

We had an 09 A4 with the 2.0 - - - I have never owned such an oil drinker. Tried everything, BG EPR did help a bit but not completely.
My understanding is that Audi installed oil control rings that could not take the abuse in the forced induction engine.

Replacing the rings is the ONLY solution.

I tried piston soaks with everything possible, you name it. Replaced the PCV with the updated part. - Nothing worked.

I used 1 quart per 1000kms - - - - Audi wanted me to pay for the oil consumption test. I forget how much it was - - - they seal up your engine and ask you to come back after 1,000 miles to record whatever.

If you do decide to do this - you MIGHT get some good will from Audi America - - - - - Also do LOTS of WOT driving - - this tends to use more oil.
You might have a chance at a lower bill.

Even the parts for the job were $2,000.

Its crazy that Audi has such a reputation for quality - - this 2.0t is such a POS. Across many years.

Originally Posted by nicholas
We had an 09 A4 with the 2.0 - - - I have never owned such an oil drinker. Tried everything, BG EPR did help a bit but not completely.
My understanding is that Audi installed oil control rings that could not take the abuse in the forced induction engine.

Replacing the rings is the ONLY solution.

I tried piston soaks with everything possible, you name it. Replaced the PCV with the updated part. - Nothing worked.

I used 1 quart per 1000kms - - - - Audi wanted me to pay for the oil consumption test. I forget how much it was - - - they seal up your engine and ask you to come back after 1,000 miles to record whatever.

If you do decide to do this - you MIGHT get some good will from Audi America - - - - - Also do LOTS of WOT driving - - this tends to use more oil.
You might have a chance at a lower bill.

Even the parts for the job were $2,000.

Its crazy that Audi has such a reputation for quality - - this 2.0t is such a POS. Across many years.

I have same engine in 2011 Tiguan, and tell me what issues I supposed to have?

Last edited:

It is easy to replace PCV. It is on top f an engine and as far as I remember looking some parts it was around $150 if you order online.
Castrol 5W40 is mediocre oil at best. There are far better options that might reduce your consumption a bit. Wal Mart has Castrol 0W40 which is more sophisticated oil and has lower NOACK. Tell your son to forget dealership when it comes to oil changes. Can he do it on his own?
Also, how he measures oil level? Using MMI or dipstick? That engine comes without dipstick. However, there is dipstick tube and he can get in dealership or online dipstick for that engine, it is around $20. I would get that and fallow that not MMI.

I have same engine in 2011 Tiguan, and tell me what issues I supposed to have? - - -

You might have a good one - - - however just google Audi 2.0 turbo oil consumption issues. You are a small minority in this.
Everyone I personally know - 9 people-- with this engine its an oil drinking polluting dog. The 2.0T in Audi's are usually worse for whatever reason, compared to their VW counterparts.

Big issues starting in 09 and up.

Seriously google it - - - - - go to the audi forums you will see legions of pages on this issue.

The engines in the Audi's and VW's are not the same. The Audis are longitudinally mounted (other than A3) and have the valve lift AVS system. I also owned a 2011 VW version for many years, only real known problem is the timing chain tensioner. I am not overly familiar with the Audi engines.

I have same engine in 2011 Tiguan, and tell me what issues I supposed to have? - - -

You might have a good one - - - however just google Audi 2.0 turbo oil consumption issues. You are a small minority in this.
Everyone I personally know - 9 people-- with this engine its an oil drinking polluting dog. The 2.0T in Audi's are usually worse for whatever reason, compared to their VW counterparts.

Big issues starting in 09 and up.

Seriously google it - - - - - go to the audi forums you will see legions of pages on this issue.

I already told OP issues related to Audi version of EA888. Oil consumption in EA888 in Audi can be related to two things, not plethora of issues. It is an issues that is resolved in 06/2012.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
The engines in the Audi's and VW's are not the same. The Audis are longitudinally mounted (other than A3) and have the valve lift AVS system. I also owned a 2011 VW version for many years, only real known problem is the timing chain tensioner. I am not overly familiar with the Audi engines.

Valve lift is real difference and due to more torque and bit more hp different rings and other components were used.
Other than that, both engines are EA888 family.

According to Audi....yet many 2.0 engines after 2012 are experiencing the same oil related issues.
Audi is not being truthful.
I had a long discussion with an Audi tech about this issue.

It was not really cleared up after 2012.

It is my son's car and I told him that oil costs was less than $5500.
He drives about 35000 per year....outside sales in New England.
Thanks

A friend of mine owns Euro Car Center in Wilmington Ma, he specializes in Audi/VW vehicles (former factory rep). 978-203-5033. I see you're from New England...not sure if his sales route taken him through Massachusetts, but he's right off rt 93. His shop is highly recommended in the German car owner family.

But I will say that I have heard him say more than once that Audi's drink oil, it's normal for them...a quart every 1,000 miles is "normal" for Audi (and why I've always been hesitant to buy one).

35,000 miles a year of driving?? Man he's got me beat, but at least he's getting paid to drive....I drive 27,000 miles a year and it's just my commute.

According to Audi....yet many 2.0 engines after 2012 are experiencing the same oil related issues.
Audi is not being truthful.
I had a long discussion with an Audi tech about this issue.

It was not really cleared up after 2012.

Maybe people should try different oils.

I know Maxlife does not meet VW 502 spec, but maybe try it if you are desperate. It made a big difference in my 2az-fe oil burner.

Originally Posted by Charlie2015
I know Maxlife does not meet VW 502 spec, but maybe try it if you are desperate. It made a big difference in my 2az-fe oil burner.

High mileage oils will not do anything. Lower NOACK might.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back