Boat Trade in - Does this seem right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RTexasF
Now that I've thought about this for a while I've had second thoughts. This entire ordeal may have been a blessing in disguise.

Here's why: A triple pontoon with only 115 Horsepower is very marginally powered. 150 would be the minimum for a family loaded boat in the summer. I would advise buying the max HP that the boat is rated for. If it will allow 200, and the budget allows, then go that way without a second thought. An underpowered pontoon will struggle to do its job especially when loaded down which is darn near every trip. Cough up for the largest engine available and you will never regret it. Initial cost is up but operating costs and performance will satisfy you from now on.

Once you realize that you have purchased an underpowered boat the cost to upgrade the engine is enormous. Get what you need from the get go. Some folks just won't listen.......they know better until they realize I was right and it's too late.

Agreed on the power opinion. The max hp rating of the boat we were looking to buy was 125. Since no dealer around here will exceed those max rating, and no one around here offers a 125, 115 was the best we could hope for. And we aren't in the position to venture into the mid $40k range to meet the higher hp ratings on a tritoon.

I'm part of a boat club and I take out a 21'-22' pontoon with a 115hp Yamaha almost every weekend. I can't fathom that it would have even the bare minimum power to pull some tubes around. It's a dog. Maybe the trihulls are different? I have no experience on a trihull. Top speed is about 18 mph. The older pontoons with 90hp Yamahas can only do 14-15 mph top speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back