Switch to High Mileage Oil or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, y'all! Been a member for a bit and just lurking and reading, but finally have a question. I've tried using the "Search" function for about 15 minutes to find some information, but I guess I just haven't been using this forum enough to know what I am doing.

I drive a 2016 F-150 4x4 with the 5.0. I purchased it just shy of 2 years ago with a little over 49,000 miles on it (has 84,500 miles now). I am unsure of what the previous owner ran (FS, Blend, etc). So, the first thing I did after I purchased was an oil change and put what I wanted in it, which was Amsoil SS 5W20. I have been going about 9,500 miles before an oil change and I drive 18,000- 20,000 miles a year. So, I average 2 oil changes a year. Oil consumption is minimal as I think I have only ever had to add oil once and was close to time to change the oil.

I ran Amsoil SS 5W20 every oil change until my last one because I have gotten tired of paying so much for oil. I know it's only twice a year, but paying double is just no fun anymore. I switched to Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5W20 after finding a good deal on it on RockAuto (believe I read that ConocoPhilips makes it) and have about 3,000 miles on it so far.

After hitting my local WM and picking out some oil for my wife's 2013 Equinox / 2.4L (Valvoline FS HM 5W30), it got me thinking, should I have switched to a HM formulation? I know my truck isn't old, but it does fall in the 75K+ range that the HM oils are advertised towards. Really like the qualities/benefits the Valvoline FS HM touts, too.

Those who have always run a FS, do you switch to HM formulations when you hit the "HM qualifications"? Am I best to just stick to what I am doing since I don't have any leaks and my truck is barely 3 years old? Any HM formulations to stay away from? I'd appreciate any advice on the topic!

Thanks in advance!

Some will say no, some will say yes.

But in reality, will the switch to an HM oil hurt anything? No.
Can yous witch back to a non HM oil? Yes.
Will the HM oil keep you from having an issue down the road? Who knows, but possibly.

If the price is the same, I would personally use an HM over the non HM oil. Specifically with the Valvoline FS with Maxlife, they seem to believe it is superior to their regular Full synthetic across the board. Price being the exact same, i see no reason to run the non-Maxlife version instead. I feel the same way about any other Full synthetic HM such as Castrol HM or Supertech HM. When priced the same, you might as well get the extra seal conditioners and antiwear additives.

I've put high mileage oil in relatively new cars and then switched again. Generally it was a monetary decision, if a high mileage oil cost the same I'd have used it. The standard "syn blend" at my oil change place is MaxLife, the conventional oil change is Daily Protection which is also a syn blend. Think the standard "syn blend" at Walmart is ST synthetic high mileage, they're killing a number of birds with one stone, there.

So not to worry. High mileage oils perform just fine and the contain conditioners, not swellers.

Originally Posted by mazdamonky

Will the HM oil keep you from having an issue down the road? Who knows, but possibly.

If the price is the same, I would personally use an HM over the non HM oil. Specifically with the Valvoline FS with Maxlife, they seem to believe it is superior to their regular Full synthetic across the board. Price being the exact same, i see no reason to run the non-Maxlife version instead. I feel the same way about any other Full synthetic HM such as Castrol HM or Supertech HM. When priced the same, you might as well get the extra seal conditioners and antiwear additives.

I noticed that when studying their bottles this afternoon. They have "star rankings" and the HM Maxlife ranked higher in most categories. Really confused me, but I figured it was a no brainer for her's and then made me wonder if it's something to run in mine, too!

Another HiMi thread...
coffee2.gif

Maybe this should be a sticky.🤔

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Blake1107

I noticed that when studying their bottles this afternoon. They have "star rankings" and the HM Maxlife ranked higher in most categories. Really confused me, but I figured it was a no brainer for her's and then made me wonder if it's something to run in mine, too!

Everyone has star ratings on their bottles. Means almost nothing IMO. Marketing play to get you to buy the more expensive oil. Forgive me for restating the same thing over and over but I use VWB because I can't change my own (condo rules and geezerhood) and I have a bunch of $10 oil change coupons. If I was changing my own I'd probably get the ST HM syn 5w30. My girlfriend has to park outside and I'm suggesting that for her next oil change-- low thirties at Wally World.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
I have a bunch of $10 oil change coupons. If I was changing my own I'd probably get the ST HM syn 5w30. My girlfriend has to park outside and I'm suggesting that for her next oil change-- low thirties at Wally World.

Wow that's harsh bro... you won't share any of the "bunch" of $10 oil change coupons with her? ...‚

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Another HiMi thread...
coffee2.gif

I apologize. I really did try using the Search and couldn't get it to work. Tried looking in specific forums, in posts and titles, etc, and my searches kept bringing up nothing about high mileage. Like I said, been on here for a while, just reading here and there, but not totally acquainted with Searching.

Another HiMi thread...
coffee2.gif

I apologize. I really did try using the Search and couldn't get it to work. Tried looking in specific forums, in posts and titles, etc, and my searches kept bringing up nothing about high mileage. Like I said, been on here for a while, just reading here and there, but not totally acquainted with Searching.

I was just busting your chops.. besides, the search feature here DOES suck donkey bal$# (that's prolly gonna earn me another ban...‚)..so no apologies necessary.

Scroll to page 2 or 3 of postings in this sub forum. You'll find a couple of threads on the subject.

Last edited:

Everyone has star ratings on their bottles. Means almost nothing IMO. Marketing play to get you to buy the more expensive oil. Forgive me for restating the same thing over and over but I use VWB because I can't change my own (condo rules and geezerhood) and I have a bunch of $10 oil change coupons. If I was changing my own I'd probably get the ST HM syn 5w30. My girlfriend has to park outside and I'm suggesting that for her next oil change-- low thirties at Wally World.

The stars weren't what swayed me, just thought it odd they would market it like that compared to the FS. You'd think they'd call it the same with added benefits for HM vehicles rather than saying it's better in multiple areas. I liked that it was the same price as the FS and had the MaxLife benefits, too. Seemed silly not to get it over the FS.

I have a bunch of $10 oil change coupons. If I was changing my own I'd probably get the ST HM syn 5w30. My girlfriend has to park outside and I'm suggesting that for her next oil change-- low thirties at Wally World.

Wow that's harsh bro... you won't share any of the "bunch" of $10 oil change coupons with her? ...‚

She parks outside,drives less and probably needs syn.

I'm beginning to think "High Mileage" oil is somewhat of a snake oil. Will it prevent seals on older engines from leaking? Possibly, if it's used soon enough. But there is no real way to tell. In most cases once a leak starts, it's not going to be stopped with high mileage oil. Reduced a bit? Again perhaps, but there is no way to accurately tell that either. A oil leak is just that... A leak.

In many cases they are hard enough to diagnose where they are coming from. Let alone how much, and / or if they have been reduced or improved by switching to HM oil. It's one of those products that, "can't hurt to try". And the oil manufacturers obviously sell enough of it on that basis alone.

But I think for most people like myself, who have tried it on an older, (29 year old) vehicle that has a few leaks, it's not going to do much, if anything. I'll keep using it for a few more oil changes, hoping for the best. But I would be shocked if anything really improved enough for me to keep using it beyond that.

I'll only add that I would love to be proven wrong about this. But I'm certainly not going to hold my breath waiting. As always, YMMV.

Originally Posted by billt460
I'm beginning to think "High Mileage" oil is somewhat of a snake oil. I'll only add that I would love to be proven wrong about this.

MolaKule has gone on the record stating that high mileage oils generally have a more robust antioxidant package than a non-hi-mi version, along with other "good" stuff (usually extra detergents and seal conditioners). He even said it may be preferable to run high-mileage oil from day one to maximize its benefits; and considering that 99% of the time, the high-mileage version is the same cost as the "regular" version, what downside is there?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by billt460
I'm beginning to think "High Mileage" oil is somewhat of a snake oil. I'll only add that I would love to be proven wrong about this.

MolaKule has gone on the record stating that high mileage oils generally have a more robust antioxidant package than a non-hi-mi version, along with other "good" stuff (usually extra detergents and seal conditioners). He even said it may be preferable to run high-mileage oil from day one to maximize its benefits; and considering that 99% of the time, the high-mileage version is the same cost as the "regular" version, what downside is there?

I'm not trying to stress any downside. I really don't think there is one. The stuff isn't going to hurt anything. But I could say that about most any oil or fuel additive currently out there. (Other than the added cost of using it, that HM oil does not contribute to). I'm simply saying I would like to know how many, if any, have had oil leaks stopped by simply switching to HM oil? That's the one and only reason that I, and many others have tried using it.

As far as antioxidants, detergents, saving the whales and poor the people, and all the rest. I really don't care simply because I doubt that is going to make any difference in an almost 3 decade old truck. Perhaps that's my fault, because I waited too long to try it. My truck started leaking around 10 years, and 100,000 miles ago.

There may be a valid argument in using this stuff from day one. I don't know because I don't have MolaKule's expertise. But then why don't the manufacturers put the additive package in all of the oils they currently sell, and be done with it? Like you said, It's not like the stuff costs any more. And if it were used from day one, again could it be proven it actually did anything 10 years and 150,000 miles down the road?

That's the problem with most of this kind of stuff. You don't have a clue if it's doing anything or not. STP still sells on that basis. It doesn't hurt anything. But can anyone prove it helps anything either?

I'm not trying to "pick on" HM oil. As I said, it can't hurt anything to try it. But like all the rest of these type of products, it's difficult to prove one way or another if they actually do anything. It's much like sex in that regard. If it makes you feel good, then go ahead with it...

I see no real downside. If I can grab some on a closeout or some other great deal I'd have no problem using it.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
HM oil (M1 HM 10w-30) completely stopped a rear main seal seep I had in my 250k, 26 year old, F150.

That gives me encouragement. I'll keep using and hoping with my fingers crossed. How many miles did it take to get the results you speak of?

I've put high mileage oil in relatively new cars and then switched again. So not to worry. High mileage oils perform just fine and the contain conditioners, not swellers.

They do the exact same thing, they soften and swell rubber, one word is just less frightening

My experience, don't use seal agents unless necessary and willing to take on the risk.

Ive ran motors temporarily using hm oil with no ill effect, Ive installed in motors where created a leak, its a crap shoot, avoid unless needed and willing to risk..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mackelroy
I've put high mileage oil in relatively new cars and then switched again. So not to worry. High mileage oils perform just fine and the contain conditioners, not swellers.

They do the exact same thing, they soften and swell rubber, one word is just less frightening My experience, don't use seal agents unless necessary and willing to take on the risk.

Ive ran motors temporarily using hm oil with no ill effect, Ive installed in motors where created a leak, its a crap shoot, avoid unless needed and willing to risk..

So...... If there is a risk and a downside, what is it? How does this stuff generate leaks, if that's what it's supposed to prevent?????

Off and on when I find an HM oil on a very good sale I use it. It has never caused an issue with my 2004 Corolla going back and forth. In just a couple weeks I'm going back on Pennzoil 5W-20 PUP for my October change. Why because it was $14 and change for a 5 quart Jug yes and 1 0ut of 3 times I finally got a rebate from Shell. So my next OCI with filter is going to cost me $6.85. That is as good a reason as I need for using HM oil. Your car and it becomes your choice go for the $50 boutique oil if you really think it buys you something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back