Change Fram Ultra with 720 hours on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kstanf150
..... And why push the envelope to make a statement about how long your filter will go and risk a $3000/5000 motor.....

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've never understood the logic that tempts people to do these type of things. Especially considering the fact trying to make a worn out $5 oil filter last longer, is hardly considered "logical" in the first place.

So to all those who are worried about the filter staying on, what it your greatest concern:

Miles or time or hours?

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
So to all those who are worried about the filter staying on, what it your greatest concern:

Miles or time or hours?

D
All the above

Miles or time or hours?

Miles and hours are use duration. Time is just time. I had a filter that was left on an engine for 7 years, but only had 500 miles on it. I cut it open and it looked fine. So actual time under use is more critical IMO.

So time isn't a factor and the mileage rating is 20,000 which I'm below.

Which means hours of operation is the issue here. The implicit rated hours of usage is a minimum of 500 hours (40mph average speed). From what I've seen, Fram test their oil filters well beyond the rated usage.

So is 50% to 80% more than rated usage that excessive? Especially seeing the engine is clean, oil pressure is being reached as quickly as a new filter, and startup viscosity has always been California thin.

Most mfgs give an average speed of somewhere around 25-30 mph. I've seen 33 mph thrown around before. 20,000 miles at 25 mph would be 800 hours. 20,000 miles at 33 mph would be a little over 600 hours.

Personally I think hours are more telling than miles, I have a buddy that has averaged 57 mph over the life of his truck, he stays on the interstate all the time traveling all over the country. Meanwhile one of our pickups has less than 50,000 miles with about the same amount of hours as his 200,000 mile truck.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Linctex has a plain Motorcraft that's been on his engine some ungodly amount of time, like 5 years and 80k miles. I say if you've waited this long, what's another 200 hours?

Actually,
that FL-1A Motorcraft that went 30,000 miles was back in the mid-1990's (3X OCI's at 10,000 miles - all highway)

The Fram Tough Guard now has 50,000 miles (spun on in March 2018) and I have it draining now, ready to cut open soon

Miles or time or hours?

Neither.

I know of a little 3-cyl Kubota diesel engine used by the DOD as a signal outpost that did way over 4,000 hours on one oil filter change. It ran 24/7/365 (almost) and had over 25,000 hours on it when I last saw it.

Hours of use means nothing.
Hot/Cold/Hot/Cold cycles probably makes a bigger difference.

Thanks Linctex.

I was also thinking of those many stories where someone didn't change oil for tens of thousands of miles and when they take the oil filter off, it was intact and bypassing despite being full of sludge.

Originally Posted by Linctex
The Fram Tough Guard now has 50,000 miles (spun on in March 2018) and I have it draining now, ready to cut open soon

That should be interesting.

Linctex has a plain Motorcraft that's been on his engine some ungodly amount of time, like 5 years and 80k miles. I say if you've waited this long, what's another 200 hours?

Actually,
that FL-1A Motorcraft that went 30,000 miles was back in the mid-1990's (3X OCI's at 10,000 miles - all highway)

I have been looking forward to seeing this c&p! Please provide some good pics of those neodymium magnets on the base plate.

Thanks Linctex.

I was also thinking of those many stories where someone didn't change oil for tens of thousands of miles and when they take the oil filter off, it was intact and bypassing despite being full of sludge.

Not an ideal situation ever.

Some American made cast iron engines from the 60's and 70's can still live a happy life afterward a new oil and filter change occurs....

But that will kill (or drastically shorten the life) of any modern engine if that happens.

Originally Posted by MrQuackers

Actually,

I have been looking forward to seeing this c&p! Please provide some good pics of those neodymium magnets on the base plate.

Love seeing these experiments...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back