Continental Purecontact LS vs. Michelin Primacy MXM4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jmlo96
Originally Posted by painfx
It is true that the PureContact LS has better ratings on TireRack.

But my main concern besides those would be tire noise over time and are the sidewalls are softer compared to the MXM4?

BTW, stock MXM4 cannot be compared because they have many versions of the MXM4. The one that is good is the one with the traction rating of "AA" 96V XL.

I see your point about not comparing to the stock tires. I would have only experienced them when I worked for Honda.

As for sidewall stiffness, it seems to depend on the size in the PureContact LS. My friend bought a 19" set for his car and they barely had any flex. The 16" ones flex on my Cruze a bit, but I'd still say they were stiff enough for a 60 series all season tire.

My Camry size is 235/40/19. I read that sidewalls are on the softer side hence you get a comfortable ride. If it is true sidewalls doesnt flex. That sounds good already.

Now only thing left is road noise after how many miles is the next big concern.

I do not think that "235/40/19" and "comfortable ride" may exist in the same sentence.
Wheels sizes are growing crazy.

KrzyÅ›

I have had the true contacts and now true contact touring. I can say that the non-touring ones lasted nowhere near their advertised rating on my Toyota Sienna, which I rotate every oil change between 5-7k miles. They wore completely evenly and I always have it aligned with new tires. Noise wasn't any problem (I hate loud tires). They are not as quiet as a Michelin, but they are quiet. If I didn't rotate regularly I could see them getting noisey, but I always rotate each service.

Continental was very easy to deal with in pro rating them and giving me a suitable discount on the new true contact touring tires. I still doubt I'll get advertised tread wear due to siennas just simply being hard on tires, but I'm still happy with them. I feel like continental offers the best value in tires at this time personally. I could never justify the premium price on a Michelin tire myself.

I've been an automotive tech since 2003 and mounted, balanced, driven plenty of tires. Certainly the least problems with Michelin's but I still can't justify them.

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts:

The tires that came OE on the subject vehicle (2015 Toyota Camry) are not likely available anymore. Michelin probably converted those to a replacement spec - meaning the replacement version will probably wear better, but give worse fuel economy.

The Conti PureContact LS's are rated 700 A A, where the Michelin Primacy MXM4 are rated ….. well ….. Tire Rack lists 2 versions in SL - both 91V but one is 500 AA and the other is 500 AA A (the AA meaning better wet traction).

First, that's a significant difference in wear rating between the brands.

Second, I am puzzled by the 2 Michelin tires - that except for the traction rating seem to be the same. It's possible that the AA rating is the Replacement version and the A traction grade is the OE (or similar) version. Please note, there is also an XL version in the Michelin MXM4 lineup that is made in Thailand also rated 500 A A.

Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
I have had the true contacts and now true contact touring. I can say that the non-touring ones lasted nowhere near their advertised rating on my Toyota Sienna, which I rotate every oil change between 5-7k miles. They wore completely evenly and I always have it aligned with new tires. Noise wasn't any problem (I hate loud tires). They are not as quiet as a Michelin, but they are quiet. If I didn't rotate regularly I could see them getting noisey, but I always rotate each service.

Continental was very easy to deal with in pro rating them and giving me a suitable discount on the new true contact touring tires. I still doubt I'll get advertised tread wear due to siennas just simply being hard on tires, but I'm still happy with them. I feel like continental offers the best value in tires at this time personally. I could never justify the premium price on a Michelin tire myself.

I've been an automotive tech since 2003 and mounted, balanced, driven plenty of tires. Certainly the least problems with Michelin's but I still can't justify them.

Which Michelin model are you basing it off from? MXM4? It has 3 versions.

Since you are a tech, you can easily get discounted prices. Why not just get the Michelins?

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
A couple of thoughts:

The tires that came OE on the subject vehicle (2015 Toyota Camry) are not likely available anymore. Michelin probably converted those to a replacement spec - meaning the replacement version will probably wear better, but give worse fuel economy.

The Conti PureContact LS's are rated 700 A A, where the Michelin Primacy MXM4 are rated ….. well ….. Tire Rack lists 2 versions in SL - both 91V but one is 500 AA and the other is 500 AA A (the AA meaning better wet traction).

Second, I am puzzled by the 2 Michelin tires - that except for the traction rating seem to be the same. It's possible that the AA rating is the Replacement version and the A traction grade is the OE (or similar) version. Please note, there is also an XL version in the Michelin MXM4 lineup that is made in Thailand also rated 500 A A.

This one is the best one

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....autoModel=Camry+4cyl&autoModClar=XSE

Mxv4 mxm4 primacy etc. Michelin's always ride good. Never personally had them so no real snow experience but I'm speaking of rain and dry, matters of mounting and balancing etc.

Even with a tech discount Michelin's are still way more expensive than Continental's.

A lot depends on what your tire store sells the most of and has the best relationship with. Mine sells Continental's for the best value.

I think someone else already stated that there isn't a huge markup on tires, at least typically. Even with good relationships with tire shops I don't get much better than tire rack pricing.

A couple of thoughts:

The OEM versions are 500 A A which is what I would buy. The aftermarket version is the 500 AA A.

Originally Posted by JMHC
A couple of thoughts:

The OEM versions are 500 A A which is what I would buy. The aftermarket version is the 500 AA A.

Why would you want the OEM version?

Keep in mind that the TIRE RACK test on the MXM4 is from 2010 and newer tires have certainly eclipsed these higher rated older tires and may be even cheaper to buy today.

For example, when I purchased my Pirelli P4 in 2008, they were highly rated and(sorta) still are. However they too have been eclipsed my newer models/brands even though I thought and still feel that the P4 was the single best tire I've ever owned to date.

Last edited:
My experience with PureContact LS's has been better than Michelin Premier A/S, on the same car. Approx. 11K miles now, after 15 months. Still quiet and smooth.

No snow/ice experience, as I have separate winter tires/wheels.

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
My experience with PureContact LS's has been better than Michelin Premier A/S, on the same car. Approx. 11K miles now, after 15 months. Still quiet and smooth.

No snow/ice experience, as I have separate winter tires/wheels.

The noise problem is around 20k+ up miles.

A couple of thoughts:

Look at the other specs...the AA version has a narrower tread pattern and lower max inflation pressure. Aside from the A versus AA traction rating, the OEM one is the better tire overall.

Basic Specifications
UTQG 500 A A 500 AA A
Service Description 91V 91V
Country of Origin USCA US
Detailed Specifications
Load Range Pending Pending
Eco Focus Green X Green X
Style N/A N/A
Tire Weight 24 lbs 24 lbs
Maximum Load 1,356 lbs 1,356 lbs
Maximum Inflation Pressure 51 psi 44 psi
Tread Depth 9.5/32" 9.5/32"
Rim Width Range 7-8.5" 7-8.5"
Measuring Rim Width 7.5" 7.5"
Section Width 8.9" 8.9"
Tread Width 8.2" 7.6"
Overall Diameter 802 802

A couple of thoughts:

Look at the other specs...the AA version has a narrower tread pattern and lower max inflation pressure. Aside from the A versus AA traction rating, the OEM one is the better tire overall.

Basic Specifications
UTQG 500 A A 500 AA A
Service Description 91V 91V
Country of Origin USCA US
Detailed Specifications
Load Range Pending Pending
Eco Focus Green X Green X
Style N/A N/A
Tire Weight 24 lbs 24 lbs
Maximum Load 1,356 lbs 1,356 lbs
Maximum Inflation Pressure 51 psi 44 psi
Tread Depth 9.5/32" 9.5/32"
Rim Width Range 7-8.5" 7-8.5"
Measuring Rim Width 7.5" 7.5"
Section Width 8.9" 8.9"
Tread Width 8.2" 7.6"
Overall Diameter 802 802

Not the link I had posted.

What size tires are yours? Because I posted for a 235/40/19.

I'm going to go with the Michelins, OE. Mine have been quiet, have never needed rebalancing, are great in rain, and good in snow. They are more expensive for a reason so I'll stick with them. 225/45/18

I'm going to go with the Michelins, OE. Mine have been quiet, have never needed rebalancing, are great in rain, and good in snow. They are more expensive for a reason so I'll stick with them. 225/45/18

For that tire size, you dont have many options for the MXM4. I heard the crossclimate is better.

For that tire size, you dont have many options for the MXM4. I heard the crossclimate is better.

From what I've read the CrossClimates are loud.

What about the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus? Those are about the same price as the Michelins. I think they will last longer (the MXM4's will probably only last me 40-45K) but I have read the P7's aren't so great in rain. There is no obvious choice.

CrossClimates are the best all weather tires on the market. Testing doesn't show them to be loud. Their only drawback is the limited number of sizes available, and the high price.

What about the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus? Those are about the same price as the Michelins. I think they will last longer (the MXM4's will probably only last me 40-45K) but I have read the P7's aren't so great in rain. There is no obvious choice.

Might as well go with the PureContact LS if you are gonna choose the Pirelli's.

Might as well go with the PureContact LS if you are gonna choose the Pirelli's.

The Pirelli's are quiet and ride nice, but may be just ok in rain. The Continentals will perform well in rain, but I have serious doubts about keeping them quiet and balanced. Between those 2 options I'd go with the Pirelli and just no drive like a maniac in the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back