Mobil1 5W-30, 8,200mi, 2017 Expl 2.3EBBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the fourth UOA I've done with our Explorer. This one was from May 1 till Sept 26 for a total of 8,200 miles. This was mainly everyday commuting with some "local" vacation driving. Before this OC I had a timing cover leak "repaired" under warranty, it's leaking again less than 10,000 miles after the "repair". Any way I ran the dealer new oil from the repair for 1,300 miles and then changed it myself to this oil in the UOA. At the same time I put in a new Motorcraft air filter. I'm pleased with the wear metals but a bit surprised with the insoluble level of 0.4. This is the highest I've ever had in any UOA's. The oil filter was a new Mobil 1 oil filter. Considering this is a small turbo DI engine in a heavy vehicle I think it's performing well. Even using regular gasoline it has plenty of "pep", more than our 2005 4.6 V-8 Explorer. And the mpg is almost twice as much as the V-8 Explorer. Yes, using premium fuel will give you a bit more "zip" and an extra mpg but at $0.60/gallon extra for premium fuel it's not worth it for us. Comments are welcome
grin2.gif

Whimsey
[Linked Image]

Under the ... "not sure it really matters ... " category.

The M1 5w30 has thinned out a fair bit. It starts at 11.0 cSt, and is down to 9.1. This seems fairly common in many Resource Conserving oils ...

Maybe try a NON - resource conserving 5w30 next time, typically a Euro oil, or maybe a 40 grade, like M1 0w40 FS.

Or don't worry about it ... UOA seems decent.

You're averaging 2.3ppm of Fe / 1k miles. That ain't bad at all! The other wear metals are so low it's just moot. Your longest OCI gave the lowest wear rate (typical of just about all engines as a generalization).
Don't worry too much about the insolubles count; it's fine. It's a visual reference test anyway; there's a tiny bit of subjectivity to it.

I would say running that lube out to 10k miles (or beyond) is no worry whatsoever.

There's nothing in this report to set your hair on fire about; it's actually a great report. You ran the lube 8k miles and it's baaarely out of grade by the slimmest of margins but if your OM allows for a Xw20 it's a non starter IMO. TBN and FP are fine, no additive depletion and as was pointed out the Fe isn't anything to get worked up about after an 8k mile run.

Nice report!ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Glad to see that M1 5w30 is working in your Explorer. I'm running the same in my 3.5L EcoBoost, but haven't done any OAs on it.

Neil

Originally Posted by geeman789

The M1 5w30 has thinned out a fair bit. It starts at 11.0 cSt, and is down to 9.1. This seems fairly common in many Resource Conserving oils ...

Maybe try a NON - resource conserving 5w30 next time, typically a Euro oil, or maybe a 40 grade, like M1 0w40 FS.

It wasn't the oil that thinned, it was the presence of fuel. All oils will have the same result in this engine unless premium is used.

Originally Posted by badtlc
Originally Posted by geeman789

It wasn't the oil that thinned, it was the presence of fuel. All oils will have the same result in this engine unless premium is used.

In my experience it's both, but the non-rc oils stayed in grade better than their counterpart resulting in less wear metals in UOAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back