2004 Crown Vic shock/ struts recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2004 Crown Vic LX with 94k from original owner. Shocks and struts are original, and really need to be replaced. What brand is recommended on these, especially perhaps to firm things up a bit. Bilstein? Monroe? First Ford ever.
grin.gif

A guy at an AutoZone told me the November sales on shocks and struts are on for this year so take that into account while you shop.

It seems that all the makers have a cheap one in their lineup in order to "save a sale" so beware.

How long are you planning on keeping the car? Got Budget?

My firsthand experience is on European cars and a few pick-up twucks. I don't know about a 4 door sedan.

Q: Don't these Crown Vics have an inferior transmission from the Ford Taurus? Truly just askin'.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
ADTR Coilovers you will thank me later.

Look quite nice but fairly pricey compared to just shock replacement. I bought Monroe Sensatracs a few years back and the company I work for makes them. I would not buy them again. They were great fro 10,000 miles then as soft as the originals they replaced.

I found out they make Bilsteins for it and was told they didn't when I replaced them. Wish I had looked harder but live and learn. KYB would be my next choice. Both are great options.

Originally Posted by Kira
Q: Don't these Crown Vics have an inferior transmission from the Ford Taurus? Truly just askin'.

Nope. Those are the front wheel drive Taurus and Lincoln Continentals (1996-2002).

But then again, the Ford CV and Mercury Grand Marquis never had great transmissions. It's important you change the trans fluid at least every 25K-30K miles on these if you want a long life out of them. I'd consider the transmission to be the weaker link on the drive train. Owned half of dozen of these plus 3 Lincoln Continentals.

Last edited:
Ford actually offers Motorcraft quick struts! They contain the OE strut, OE spring, and OE mount
happy2.gif

Quick struts are awesome because they make it very easy since you don't need a spring compressor (remember that Ford redesigned the Panther's front shocks in 2003)

However, Bilstein does make the best shocks and struts. So if you're willing to spend the money and use a spring compressor, they are the best choice. If you elect this option, get the OE Motorcraft mounts.

Originally Posted by 69GTX

Nope. Those are the front wheel drive Taurus and Lincoln Continentals (1996-2002).

But then again, the Ford CV and Mercury Grand Marquis never had great transmissions. It's important you change the trans fluid at least every 25K-30K miles on these if you want a long life out of them. I'd consider the transmission to be the weaker link on the drive train. Owned half of dozen of these plus 3 Lincoln Continentals.

I would add, keep a fairly close eye on the rear brakes & wheel seals, the rear axles had some hardening issues & sometimes spring seal leaks. My 2003 MGM has been OK so far, but it's something you'll want to watch out for. I actually put Monroe front quick struts on mine, they seem to have been good so far, it's been over a year & 10K miles, AAP made me a rebate/discount offer I couldn't refuse.

I don't think Bilstein makes dampers for the 2003+ Panthers. A friend of mine did the ADTR coilovers with their controls arms, and watts link. The car is an absolute dream to drive and ride in.

Originally Posted by 69GTX

I don't know where you are getting your info. on that CV/G.M. tranny. I never had any transmission issues with the many G.M.'s I have had. I serviced them every 40-50k miles like everything else. Poor or no maintenance likely on your part.

Last edited:
A friend had me drive his Ebay cop car CV from FL to NY. I loved it. If the cop spec stuff is different, I'd choose that. The car rode well, handled well and was an absolute pleasure to drive.

I don't think Bilstein makes a shock for the Panthers. My vote is for a "heavy duty" monotube shock like a KYB Gas-A-Just or the one for police/taxi/limo use.

And you have a 4R70W in your 'Vic. It's a decent unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back