BMW N63 engines... Valve seals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

Any oils that contain esters ... ?

As many of you know ... many of the N63 engines experience issues with valve seals, from what I read its not wear related ...
I read some success stories of LM seal conditioner.

But I would prefer formulated oil.

My N63TU - is not having any issues yet ... but I would like to prevent this if possible.

I was thinking Redline 5w30 but, I read here that all the ZINC is not good for turbos and DI, LSP issues ...

Any other suggestions.

This will be experiment ... If I have to do seal I will do them

Thx

Last edited:
Out of all of the different oils out there, Ive only had luck using the Oil Saver or a high mileage oil, or even both, with shorter intervals, especially on the earliers like 05-07. One of our cutomers ran 10/40 High Mileage in 3k intervals and saw a huge difference after the 2nd or 3rd change in terms of smoking at idle.

Originally Posted by Ndx
Hi Guys,

Any oils that contain esters ... ?

As many of you know ... many of the N63 engines experience issues with valve seals, from what I read its not wear related ...
I read some success stories of LM seal conditioner.

But I would prefer formulated oil.

My N63TU - is not having any issues yet ... but I would like to prevent this if possible.

I was thinking Redline 5w30 but, I read here that all the ZINC is not good for turbos and DI, LSP issues ...

Any other suggestions.

This will be experiment ... If I have to do seal I will do them

Thx

TU version has A LOT of improvements over first version of N63. Valve stem seals are different, turbo cooling lines are different etc.
First of all, N63, TU or regular, does not have lot of issues with CBU, hence do not worry about zinc. Second, turbos are working perfectly fine with zinc. Third, N63 is 4.4ltr engine and there is no way, at least in this universe, that it will have LSPI issues. LSPI issues are confined to certain manufacturers (Asian and American) and engines in size range 1.0ltr to 1.6ltr. BMW's 1.5 3cyl turbo engines do not have LSPI issues, let alone 4.4ltr V8.
Use readily available LL01 oils such as Pennzoil Platinum 5W40, Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle if you want strictly oil that is approved for LL01.
I personally would use Castrol 0W40.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back