2018 VW Golf Sportwagen tuned 1.8 TSI K&N 6K OCI LM 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Here's my latest - I did it at 6K (early) this time b/c I just upgraded to Stage 2 and a larger turbo/downpipe. I'll go 9K this time around.

21K miles, 6K OCI on Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 w/VW filter (Mahle)

Interesting to note the filtration comments...I run a K&N and opened-up OE intake.

I'll go 9K this go around and see how she goes on the new tune and turbo.

18 GOLF SW-191005_UOA_21K.jpg

Originally Posted by dareo
As an owner of an IS20 GSW this report makes me very happy!

This report is pre-IS20 to be clear. Next will include it.

In addition to being a great UOA, you use a bitog coined "rock catcher" K&N air filter? How dare this filter do so well? That's not supposed to be possible.

Enjoy your nice ride and don't change a thing.

Originally Posted by wemay
In addition to being a great UOA, you use a bitog coined "rock catcher" K&N air filter? How dare this filter do so well? That's not supposed to be possible.

Enjoy your nice ride and don't change a thing.

Yes, unreal that I haven't seized my motor yet using the K&N...they work just fine if you don't drive in crazy dusty conditions but it's way more fun to debate the minutiae of filtration from "the Spicer report". I use them on all my vehicle.

I believe the spectre of dirt plastering the hot dry DI valves outweighs any perceived advantage.

Explain why every single auto engine manufacturer uses a paper filter...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Zolton
I believe the spectre of dirt plastering the hot dry DI valves outweighs any perceived advantage.

Explain why every single auto engine manufacturer uses a paper filter...
frown.gif

Because it requires maintenance vs. a direct simple replacement....simple as that AND it's a performance piece....why don't manufactures include many of the aftermarket solutions such as catch cans, higher power tune, the list goes on. Performance parts are compromises - performance at the expense of something...engine longevity, emissions, ride quality, and for filters, filtration. The question with high-flow filters has always been to me, does the drop in filtration efficiency (likely ~5%) have any real bearing on the life of your motor AND is the gain in flow worth that? For me, yes (and my UOAs confirm what many say isn't possible...good filtration for my conditions). For others, no. Simple!

Last edited:
There's no reason a disposable air filter can't be manufactured with cotton gauze as the media. "Serviceable" is just a design and marketing objective to get $50 for a filter. An inexpensive gauze filter could be applied to production vehicles just as well, but cotton does not meet mfg specs for media, paper does! Surely a pure race vehicle could afford a new filter after every event. They are not worried about excess wear or deposits anyway. So in my mind K&N is a product looking for a purpose.

Go back to the reason the mfg uses paper, it filters better. What is the primary of a filter anyway.....filtration, not flow. The mfg designs the intake around the flow rates of paper anyway, so what is there to be gained? Sure the perception of more flow sounds good, but really, once flow is adequate....more isn't better. The real difference is the .01hp the engine consumes sucking the air thru paper itself.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Again, your UOA looks good and I intend to reference it when we got our UOAs going.....but it doesn't tell you anything about the dirt flowing onto the dry valves. Not that VW engines are difficult to clean the valves, I just use some CRC GDI every Spring for this. In my case am more concerned about excess wear in the upper cyl and rings. My DD is a Neuspeed 2.0T EA888 Gen2 Valveluft w/40 k that doesn't burn oil. in NO WAY would I risk dirt coming into the intake and wear my rings out. A tiny little part that would be almost undetectable in UOA until it was too late, nope. I doubt you'd disagree.

There's no reason a disposable air filter can't be manufactured with cotton gauze as the media. "Serviceable" is just a design and marketing objective to get $50 for a filter. An inexpensive gauze filter could be applied to production vehicles just as well, but cotton does not meet mfg specs for media, paper does! Surely a pure race vehicle could afford a new filter after every event. They are not worried about excess wear or deposits anyway. So in my mind K&N is a product looking for a purpose.

Go back to the reason the mfg uses paper, it filters better. What is the primary of a filter anyway.....filtration, not flow. The mfg designs the intake around the flow rates of paper anyway, so what is there to be gained? Sure the perception of more flow sounds good, but really, once flow is adequate....more isn't better. The real difference is the .01hp the engine consumes sucking the air thru paper itself.

Again, your UOA looks good and I intend to reference it when we got our UOAs going.....but it doesn't tell you anything about the dirt flowing onto the dry valves. Not that VW engines are difficult to clean the valves, I just use some CRC GDI every Spring for this. In my case am more concerned about excess wear in the upper cyl and rings. My DD is a Neuspeed 2.0T EA888 Gen2 Valveluft w/40 k that doesn't burn oil. in NO WAY would I risk dirt coming into the intake and wear my rings out. A tiny little part that would be almost undetectable in UOA until it was too late, nope. I doubt you'd disagree.

Understood and your car your choice. I don't worry about it because I don't think I get any more dirt in through the K&N vs. paper under my driving conditions. I plan on dynoing mine soon and will do the obligatory comparison of filters for fun.

I always ran K&N in every VW (6) I owned throughout the years. All of which were tuned to some degree. My 1995 VR6 GTi was nearing 250k miles with Schrick cams, Autotech exhaust and chip tune plus a K&N panel filter, from nearly new. It never consumed oil and was still running strong 3 years after I sold it because everything else was breaking. It's a personal choice.

My best friend owns a BOSCH Service Center and does work on customer's cup cars. So, from that and my background at the local VAG dealership, my tendency leans towards OE-type service. It is, as was said, my preference. I do like the way Fram air filters seal with that orange foam gasket.

Just worth noting, the 1995 VR6 doesn't suffer from the DI intake valve deposit issues, which plague later engines.

Anyway, the dyno results are something to look froward to.

Widman has plenty of bad UOAs from people monkeying with the air filter. 100x normal wear rates is alarming....

https://www.widman.biz/English/Analysis/Oil_bath.html

I think about all of the K&N users who never do a UOA, it seems risky. It's not like I am imagining it. I also DNL guys who change their air OE filter excessively. Few seem to appreciate the downsides.

My best friend owns a BOSCH Service Center and does work on customer's cup cars. So, from that and my background at the local VAG dealership, my tendency leans towards OE-type service. It is, as was said, my preference. I do like the way Fram air filters seal with that orange foam gasket.

Just worth noting, the 1995 VR6 doesn't suffer from the DI intake valve deposit issues, which plague later engines.

Widman has plenty of bad UOAs from people monkeying with the air filter. 100x normal wear rates is alarming....

I think about all of the K&N users who never do a UOA, it seems risky. It's not like I am imagining it. I also DNL guys who change their air OE filter excessively. Few seem to appreciate the downsides.

An "oil bath" filter is not the same as a K&N and should not be used for comparison. The downsides of high-flow filters have been way over-played vs. UOAs like mine that show no issues at all and all the people that run them with no drama over years of service. In my car, a high-flow filter (K&N, AFe dry, etc.) when combined with other intake modifications to the OE setup have proven to replicate the noise/power benefits of aftermarket intakes when running performance software. And for that reason, I run one.

Ok, can someone versed in the UOAs help me with the viscosity numbers? What are they telling me for the 3 oil changes listed? I am running 5W40 for the last 2 and not sure what VW puts in for factory fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back