Plumbers Putty/Clay Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Oro_O
I use plumber's putty to clay my vehicles. It works fantastically and I couldn't imagine paying $20 for basically the same thing in a different package.

If you say so...it's your vehicle...

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
What is the insistence on using improper products to save pennies?

Use an automotive clay bar or synthetic "clay" mat, pad, etc.

Dish soap is for dishes, plumbers putty is for plumbing.

Completely agree, and this was the mantra I often heard from the chairman of our chemistry department in college after he discovered an individual was using benzene to wash his hands.

That reminds me of my first machine shop job... millwright was telling me about the solvent (naphtha I think, smelled like gasoline) tank and to always keep the lid closed to prevent fires... another millwright walks over and proceeds to wash his hands and arms in it.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
What is the insistence on using improper products to save pennies?

Use an automotive clay bar or synthetic "clay" mat, pad, etc.

Dish soap is for dishes, plumbers putty is for plumbing.

Completely agree, and this was the mantra I often heard from the chairman of our chemistry department in college after he discovered an individual was using benzene to wash his hands.

That reminds me of my first machine shop job... millwright was telling me about the solvent (naphtha I think, smelled like gasoline) tank and to always keep the lid closed to prevent fires... another millwright walks over and proceeds to wash his hands and arms in it.
shocked2.gif

And that guy probably has cancer now, or will get it...

Who the heck uses clay bars anymore anyway? I'm a detail fanatic and I moved to a clay mitt years ago. I do have a little leftover clay that I may use on a rocker or wheel but for the most part clay sponges/mitts/rags have taken over. The benefits of a clay mitt (or similar product) is that it is easily washed and reused, whereas your clay gets contaminated (or falls on ground) it's trash.

Who the heck uses clay bars anymore anyway? I'm a detail fanatic and I moved to a clay mitt years ago. I do have a little leftover clay that I may use on a rocker or wheel but for the most part clay sponges/mitts/rags have taken over. The benefits of a clay mitt (or similar product) is that it is easily washed and reused, whereas your clay gets contaminated (or falls on ground) it's trash.

Originally Posted by MStarmer

I prefer using a clay bar. It can be as big or as small as I want it, and the clay is white - I can see what is being picked up.

I just clayed one of my cars today with Meguiars clay kit. Had no idea about the clay mitt alternative. Will have to check that out next time I detail. Thanks for the info!

Used a bar of Meguiar's clay myself today, with Gold Class soap and water as the lubricant.

Still love the stuff. Took maybe 15 minutes and she's ready for polishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back