Google photos no longer syncs to Google drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm baffled by the message from Google that Google photos no longer syncs with the Google photos folder located on my Google drive. Its still there. Is that a copy of old photos and I can delete? Is that a link? Can somebody please explain, its confusing.

If I understand correctly (and I'm not checking so I could be wrong):

You get unlimited storage at standard definition on Google Photos, so having a copy saved to Drive would simply eat up your free (or paid for) Google Drive capacity, so having the two split is actually a good thing. If you wanted a particular picture in Drive in addition to Photos you could just copy it over there.

You USED to be able to display photos from Google Photos in Google Drive and vice-versa. Now you can't. If a photos is a Google Photos you have to be at or use Google Photos to manage it; as with files stored at Google Drive.

They're all still where they were to begin with; you just no longer can browse and manage them from the other service.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
You USED to be able to display photos from Google Photos in Google Drive and vice-versa. Now you can't. If a photos is a Google Photos you have to be at or use Google Photos to manage it; as with files stored at Google Drive.

They're all still where they were to begin with; you just no longer can browse and manage them from the other service.

So is the remaining folder on Google Drive a duplicate up to a certain date? And the same content is in the newly-created Google photos that is not synced to the drive?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back