I bought some new snake oil. Whats in it?

Hanging out with the mice behind a fridge.😁
So i bought some " super slick stuff" by protexall products incorporation.

It says:
A clean lubricant for metal that STAYS clean.
Lifting action is immediate. It lifs rust, grime, dirt and built-up grease. It is an excellent penetrant. Try it on a greasy, dirty bike chain, rusty garden tools, or a frozen bolt. It even handles corrosive acids, so it can be used on battery terminals.
Coats with a unique plating effect. SuperSlick lays down a molecular cushion of lubrication between moving parts. It bonds to the surface, setting up a protective dry film against rust, moisture, and wear.

Extreme pressure friction is greatly reduced.

It is not petroleum based as are most cheap lubricants.

It's greaseless, so it doesn't attract moisture or dirt that causes rust.

It does not build up. It's perfect for external linkages and it won't sling or run off moving parts.

You can use it on stuck drawers, front-end loaders, cars, fishing reels, baby strollers, or on anything that slides, rubs, turns, grinds, moves or rotates.

And it lasts longer.

Does Not Contain PTFE, Silicone, Wax Nor Graphite.

So if it doesnt contain any common lubricant than what does it contain?

I will have to come up with a good test for it I think all my tools are properly lubricated and I don't trusted enough to put it on anything on my vehicle. I have been using white lightning dry chain lube on all my door hinges and everything so I can't try it there I'll have to look around and see if I have any old rusty pliers.

Originally Posted by Zahndkile

What makes you think it's "snake oil"? I've used that for a few years and it's an excellent product. Most recently I sprayed some on all the drawer rollers in our kitchen and all 3 baths. The 30 year old bearings in the rollers are now almost silent and the drawers close with the slightest touch.

I've used it on hinges, drawer glides, etc. It works as advertised and it works quite well.

Originally Posted by Fawteen

What makes you think it's "snake oil"? I've used that for a few years and it's an excellent product. Most recently I sprayed some on all the drawer rollers in our kitchen and all 3 baths. The 30 year old bearings in the rollers are now almost silent and the drawers close with the slightest touch.

I've used it on hinges, drawer glides, etc. It works as advertised and it works quite well.

In the court of lubricants I consider it as guilty until proven innocent. It is good to hear from somebody that has used it though. My main concern is that it claims to not contain most of the ingredients that I would expect in a product that fulfills all the claims it makes.
Also I could not find an MSDS on their website.
When I bought that I also bought a can of blaster "advanced" dry lubricant with PTFE. I sprayed that on some metal and it was pretty obvious the main active ingredient was PTFE powder. I like that because I know what I can do with PTFE. But when they don't tell me what's in it I'm not sure what to use it on because I don't just believe their marketing claims.

Originally Posted by Fawteen

In the court of lubricants I consider it as guilty until proven innocent. It is good to hear from somebody that has used it though. My main concern is that it claims to not contain most of the ingredients that I would expect in a product that fulfills all the claims it makes.
Also I could not find an MSDS on their website.
When I bought that I also bought a can of blaster "advanced" dry lubricant with PTFE. I sprayed that on some metal and it was pretty obvious the main active ingredient was PTFE powder. I like that because I know what I can do with PTFE. But when they don't tell me what's in it I'm not sure what to use it on because I don't just believe their marketing claims.

You could do something as simple as contact them for a material safety data sheet. It will tell you all you need to know-problem solved and you don't need to get on a discussion forum and deride a product you know nothing about.

I dont mean to deride it. I am interested to learn more about it. I am a bit sceptical of its claims but i bought it to try because if it does live up to its claims then i will want to have it around.
I would really like to know what it has that reduces extreme pressure friction. It says it is not PTFE, silicone, wax, or graphite so i want to know what it is.
I found a scan copy of the MSDS but it doesn't seem to tell me anything other than that it contains base oils, inhibitors, solvents and additives with a propane and isobutane propellant.

This morning i tried it on a pair of needle nose pliers that were stiff and it worked at least as well as WD-40. It didn't work as well as seafoam deep creep but I need to find some other tests for its extreme pressure capabilities that it claims I just can't seem to come up with any ideas at the moment.

Back