Another HONDA ATF thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have quite a few of these sealed ATF quarts laying around, attached picture.

In the past have always used Honda OEM ATF/ DW1.

Is that safe to use in a 2006 Honda Civic or 2007 Honda Accord, for drain and refill purposes?

Thanks for the help.

20191017_135004.jpg

20191017_134957.jpg

[censored] no, Hondas are already finicky about the ATF they use, this looks like offbrand garbage made in 2017 that is suitable for old outdated specs, none of those specs pertain to Honda either.

I can't imagine anyone would seriously consider using these. Even if you saved a few dollars, is it worth it?

I have a new unopened quart of DW1 I no longer need. Got it from Amazon, set up a return, refunded me my money, and told me to keep it.

OP, PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

For a Honda of that era, you can use Dex/Merc fluid if you can't find Z-1/DW-1 "in an emergency" but stick to OEM or a high-viscosity "universal" fluid like Castrol IMV.

That stuff might look like off-brand stuff but I'd bet it's a Warren Performance Products or Warren Oil product. Check on the bottom of the bottle for a WPP stamp. I'd give it away to someone with an older car that uses Dexron/Mercon fluid.

Last edited:
You can also give it to a local transmission shop or even a local mechanic. They'll know to install it into a older vehicle.

I had 2 unopened gallons of the same spec fluid. Mine was a Valvoline product in a blue jug.
It was slated to go into my '99 Saab but I sold it rather unexpectedly.
AutoZone still had it in their computer so a refund as store credit (I had no receipt) was A-OK with me.

That looks like one of those shady brands from PQIA
27.gif

That being said, you don't have to use OEM DW1 from the dealer. You can use Maxlife or Castrol Full Synthetic with no problem
smile.gif

Unless I knew this came from a reputable oil producer I wouldn't use it in anything except a beater I was going to get rid of in a few months!

As far as using Dexron II or III spec fluids the last time that was "safe" was probably the early 90s in Honda automatics at the latest mid 90s.

if it specs DW-1 and before making a decision I would seriously look at the differences in chemistry between DW-1 and Valvoline MaxLife ATF:

Original Honda DW-1â„¢ (Part # beginning with 08200-):
Boron - 272
Silicon - 4
Sodium - 3
Calcium - 353
Magnesium - 204
Phosphorus - 2
Zinc - 320
Viscosity@100C - 6.93 cSt
Commentary and Opinion: The chemical signature for this ATF is essentially the same as Honda's Z-1 fluid and is indicative of fluids used in Automated Manual transmissions. To the author's knowledge, no Step-Shift ATF chemical signature compares. Notable is the level of the Zinc compounds needed for the internals of Automated Manual transmissions.

Owners' of Step-Shift automatic transmissions should avoid using this product in any Step-Shift automatic transmission.
 

Label - Valvoline MaxLifeâ„¢ (Part # beginning with 773):
Boron - 272
Silicon - 2
Sodium - 8
Calcium - 230
Magnesium - 3
Phosphorus - 579
Zinc - 3
Viscosity@100C - 5.91 cSt

Commentary and Opinion: The chemical signature for this ATF is indicative of the later Dexron and Dex/Merc series of ATF's based on the original Dexron through the Dexron III(H)) and Dexron VI series of ATF's. It is closely comparative to the GM Dexron VI formulations as well as to their own Dexron VI offering, and can be classified as a low Viscosity ATF. What is notable is a boost in the Ant-Wear Phosphorus compound of about 200 ppm.

The manufacturer claims coverage, or "Suitable for Use in" (no equivalency claims) for Honda/Acura's Z-1 and DW-1. I do not see how this could be the case when compared to the DW-1 analysis above.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5169998/three-atfs-analyzed#Post5169998

Last edited:
@Molakule

Do you have the analysis from Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF? (non-synthetic) How does it compare to DW-1 ?
Castrol states suitable for use in applications using Honda Z-1 and DW-1 too.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
@Molakule

Do you have the analysis from Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF? (non-synthetic) How does it compare to DW-1 ?

The Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATf's additive signature is very close to the Idemitsu H-Plus

Boron - 40
Silicon - 2
Sodium - 3
Calcium - 260
Magnesium - 2
Phosphorus - 255
Zinc - 3
Viscosity@100C - 6.5 cSt

I would say there is still no comparison to the DW-1 additive signature because if you examine the Zinc-to-Phosphorus ratios you will see the major difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by AC1DD
@Molakule

The Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATf's additive signature is very close to the Idemitsu H-Plus

Boron - 40
Silicon - 2
Sodium - 3
Calcium - 260
Magnesium - 2
Phosphorus - 255
Zinc - 3
Viscosity@100C - 6.5 cSt

I would say there is still no comparison to the DW-1 additive signature because if you examine the Zinc-to-Phosphorus ratios you will see the major difference.

Thanks Mola!

Appreciate that you explained the reasons why high zinc levels are observed in the DW-1, what part does the high magnesium level play?

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
Mola, thanks much for sharing the valuable insights. I'll stick to DW1
thumbsup2.gif

The calcium and magnesium levels seen in DW-1 represent the main friction modifiers. They are special carbonates.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by maverickfhs
Mola, thanks much for sharing the valuable insights. I'll stick to DW1
thumbsup2.gif

The calcium and magnesium levels seen in DW-1 represent the main friction modifiers. They are special carbonates.

Thanks for the details Mola!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back