What to run in my s series manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it irrelevant to want something a little thicker than say Mobil 1 atf or transmax? Or would switch to something thicker be of an actual benefit? I didn't know if the synchromesh would be ok in with the materials in the transmission.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Pennzoil Synchromesh or Valvoline Synchromesh or Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL® 75W80 should work fine.

When you have a moment I'd really like to hear more details about Valvoline or Pennzoil synchromesh. How can I be sure that they won't ruin the friction material on the synchros? I just want to be very sure and I saw your contribution here
on this thread https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1231182/9
that definitely shows your knowledge on the subject.

I had three MTF formulas of various grades, all PAO/Ester based, and had a number of customers with fiber/composite synchronizers and we tested them in their vehicles and found no synchro problems whatsoever.

In terms of viscosity for temperate Southern Mo, we're only going up about 2.25 cSt for Pennzoil Synchromesh, Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL. If you choose Valvoline Synchromesh, the viscosity increase will only be 1.5 cSt over a Dex/Merc type fluid.

Another thing is most of these transmissions were originally specified for a 10 cSt (75W80) gear oil but were re-speced for a 7 cSt oil for fleet mileage gains to satisfy the EPA.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
I had three MTF formulas of various grades, all PAO/Ester based, and had a number of customers with fiber/composite synchronizers and we tested them in their vehicles and found no synchro problems whatsoever.

In terms of viscosity for temperate Southern Mo, we're only going up about 2.25 cSt for Pennzoil Synchromesh, Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL. If you choose Valvoline Synchromesh, the viscosity increase will only be 1.5 cSt over a Dex/Merc type fluid.

Another thing is most of these transmissions were originally specified for a 10 cSt (75W80) gear oil but were re-speced for a 7 cSt oil for fleet mileage gains to satisfy the EPA.

Ok interesting. I guess that makes sense my dart has fiber synchronizers and i am running redline mt-85. I know there is a lot of misinformation out there about how you can only run atf if that's what is specd and I just wanted to be very sure it was ok.
Is synchromesh a decent alternative or is there something you would recommend instead? Thank you for all your insight as well.

Out of this list, which are all basically "synchromeshes,"

Pennzoil Synchromesh or Valvoline Synchromesh or Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL® 75W80,

I would try the Valvoline Synchromesh first since it has a lower viscosity and should be available at O'Reiley's, etc.

Last edited:
I will give it a shot. Glad to know it'll be ok with my synchronizers.

Originally Posted by ram_man

Hope you follow up after you make the change...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Hope you follow up after you make the change...
thumbsup2.gif

I will definitely give an update.

So far it feels better than ever. But Saturnfans members tell me that synchromesh is a bad idea and that bitog isn't as good as it used to be. I don't buy all of that but I guess I'll be a Guinea pig.

So far it feels better than ever. But Saturnfans members tell me that synchromesh is a bad idea and that bitog isn't as good as it used to be. I don't buy all of that but I guess I'll be a Guinea pig.

BITOG isn't as good as it used to be
lol.gif

You hear that MolaKule? Your advice isn't what it once was back in 2002!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Nick1994

lol.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Yea oldnuc who is a popular member there said bitog isn't as good since Bob passed away. I disagree with that. This is an interesting forum. A very diverse field of people some more valuable than others . But I think we all can agree people like molakule are extremely valuable and knowledgeable.

Thanks for the follow up! I'm not surprised that it's working well. Is the product that you've used (I figured you went with Valvoline since Molakule specifically recommended it)
a GL-4 spec fluid?

I noticed that the Pennzoil Synchromesh is actually rated a GL-3 fluid which is interesting since that spec is actually obsolete and GL-4 applies to that type of fluid today. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Nick1994

lol.gif

crackmeup2.gif

I guess I need to become a Hermit?
confused2.gif
lol.gif

Anytime you become successful, as BITOG has, you will have detractors. Notice how many so-called "copy-cat" sites have sprung up since BITOG was established.

I think BITOG is better than ever since we now have members and mods who are master mechanics, formulators, chemists, tribologists, machinists, physicists, aerospace scientists, ITers and host of other disciplines.

I knew the original Bob, Bob Winters and he was great guy that had the vision to establish a website that was to educate and discuss lubrication. I think Bob would be proud of what BITOG has become.

I would agree with that statement it is a very informative board, no doubt about it!

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I had an issue with my transfer case. I put a Dex III compatible fluid that was also compatible with Dex VI. Bad move. Was slipping around corners. I found a good Dex III at O'Reilly's. O'Reilly branded it's been great. So I'm not a believer in the backwards compatibility.

A little bit off topic, the OP is asking about synchronized manual transmissions.

Ahh yes, I remember this question over the years... The Saturn and syncromesh..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back