£5,000 fine for driving with faulty wipers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
So when you kill a family and face the consequences is better than preventing it?

That's a very deficient understanding of what freedom is.

No, it's not deficient in the least. You are free to do what you desire, but if you kill, injure, harm, etc. someone or their property and you are held responsible for your actions. If you intend on fining everyone into compliance, there is zero freedom there; only compliance through fear.

Cujet's post hits it right on the head. The punishment needs to fit the crime. Bad wipers are not a crime.

Let's hope you never get hit by a drink driver.

Is this a new law or simply part of existing laws where people can be fined for driving with obstructed view?

I think the story is a needless "alarmist" story by an overenthusiastic journalist.

I completely agree, I hope I never get hit by a "drink" driver which I try to avoid through watching and predicting the stupidest thing that vehicles around me may do. But if that were to happen, I trust my life insurance would at least monetarily compensate my family for their loss.

In today's culture, responsibility is portrayed as a dirty word and everyone suffers for lack of it, and by holding everyone to the same level of responsibility for their actions. More money in your pocket equates to less actual responsibility in today's world; if per chance the Queen's (or Jeff Bezos') Rolls Royce had faulty wipers, no officer would be writing them a ticket, right?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

I completely agree, I hope I never get hit by a "drink" driver...

Just for the record, over there they do call it "drink driving" or similar. Just in case you weren't aware.
https://www.gov.uk/drink-drive-limit
You can't drive anywhere in the UK if you've been banned by any UK court because of drink driving.

More links.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
I don't see anything wrong with this? Don't drive with faulty wipers, simples.

The problem is not the $100 fine, it's the up to $5000 if you challenge it. Cops are not auto inspectors and can be wrong and the brits aren't known for their people friendly legal proceedings. I can see lots of unfortunate people getting railroaded.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
A cell phone is required to work. Booze, cigs, tattoos is valid complaint, not phone.

I concur that a phone is required for the modern working world. The complaints about people and phones are silly. The people who whine may have a flip phone but also access to the internet from their comfy home on computer.

A cheap smartphone opens the world to most transient person out there in ability to find jobs on internet, contact people, banking, bills, fill out forms etc.

Originally Posted by The_Eric
Originally Posted by Bailes1992
I don't see anything wrong with this? Don't drive with faulty wipers, simples.

The problem is not the $100 fine, it's the up to $5000 if you challenge it. Cops are not auto inspectors and can be wrong and the brits aren't known for their people friendly legal proceedings. I can see lots of unfortunate people getting railroaded.

By design, of course.

Guess that's one way to whip people into abiding by the law.
eek.gif

I would think a much better action would be to have the police follow the driver to the nearest auto parts store make sure they put new wipers on and
hand them a 50$ ticket. The next time make it 7000$

If you take that kind of money you prevent them from doing ANY repairs on their car and you can be sure they will try and continue to drive it. Teach them a lesson with reason.

Typical troll post so people will get the wrong end of the stick. We have similar laws here too - UP to $7,000 fine...or 6 years in jail !!!! OMG !!!! Of course it never ever happens, it's just the upper limit of the law. In reality, they get slapped with a wet bus ticket.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
I would think a much better action would be to have the police follow the driver to the nearest auto parts store make sure they put new wipers on and
hand them a 50$ ticket. The next time make it 7000$

If you take that kind of money you prevent them from doing ANY repairs on their car and you can be sure they will try and continue to drive it. Teach them a lesson with reason.

Maybe an officer can confirm or correct me, but if people are given a written warning isn't it recorded in the system so the next time the driver gets pulled over for the same reason they're given an actual ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back