Mb oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any good filters besides the mb fleece filters? I am looking at mobil 1 in particular. Also how are premium guard filters?

Mann is pretty popular. But Fram Ultra is also up there. The Mobil 1 should be fine, they just tend to be priced a bit higher and probably only worth it if you're getting Mobil 1 with the rebate.

Also if you just want to buy one oil filter, get it from FCPeuro. They have a lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell, including oil and oil filter. I think there's a video out there where they show people sending in their old oil/filter and getting a new set. I like getting parts from them, but I can't see myself abusing them that badly.

If you visit the MB discussion boards, you will be hard pressed to find anyone recommending any oil filter other than the Mann (OEM for the MB). A few may recommend the Hastings. But very few.

When I was in Walmart a few months ago I opened the boxes for the Fram Ultra and Mobil 1 equivalent filters to the Mann that goes on my SL550, and examined the filters. The Mobil 1 wasn't anything special, but the Fram Ultra really impressed me. So I mentioned that here on BITOG. I quickly got chastised and told that if I cared about the engine in my SL550, I would stay with the Mann. Apparently the Fram Ultra cartridge filters have a reputation for tearing, just like the Purolator filters. Well, not just like the Purolator. The pictures that were shared showed the Fram Ultra filters tearing along the glue line. I'll see if I can find the discussion and post a link. You may want to see the pictures before you consider a Fram Ultra cartridge filter.

What kind of car is it for?
smile.gif

Mann is the OE supplier to many Mercedes cars/engines, and they are also the parent company of Purolator. So it is possible that a Purolator filter for your car could be a reboxed OE Mann

Mann, Mahle, or Hengst - pick one and be happy. While you can use a Fram/Premium Guard and perhaps get away with it, the question is why?

But then again, there are people who take a Mercedes to a quick lube and they get a Chinese-made filter installed. It won't hurt it but with the small price differential between aftermarket and OEM supplier for a German car it makes little sense.

Originally Posted by nthach
Mann, Mahle, or Hengst - pick one and be happy.

^^^ this. Check Rock Auto for deals on Mann or Mahle.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
What's the big difference in MB filters? Well the money that'$ left in your wallet of course.

Are the OE filters any more expensive?

The filters for my VW are $11 (UFI) and $8 (Mahle)

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
What's the big difference in MB filters? Well the money that'$ left in your wallet of course.

The filter only costs too much if you buy the Mercedes brand. The very same filter, sans the tristar, can be had for less than $7 from FCPEuro. You'll pay more than that for a Mobil 1, Fram Ultra, and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back