Winter Tires on Forte5

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter just purchased a 2015 Forte5 SX with the 1.6 turbo engine. She will need snow tires shortly. The tire size is 225/40R18. My son also has a 2015 base model Forte5. His winter tires are 205/55R16. I don't know the exact size of his summer tires besides that they are 16 inch. Would the brake calipers be any bigger on the SX vs the base model and can I put the 205/55R16 winter tires on my daughters SX? I have to admit that I know little about tires with offset and such. I do know that the tire height is almost but not quite the same so there will be difference of less than 1 km/hr if I do put this size tire on. When I talked to the dealer they said they are not sure if the tires would fit until they put them on! Hard to believe. The reason she wants the 16 inch verses an 18 inch rim/tire is the cost. Any help would be appreciated.

You might try https://tiresize.com/calculator/ and also look up optional tire/wheel combos on tirerack.com

It's generally best not to go more than +1 or -1 on the rim sizes. So if you have 17" rims, it's ok to go down to 16" or up to 18".

The easiest way to compare brake disc sizes is to look up replacement brake parts for those 2 cars. If they're the same size, chances are they use the same pads size and therefore calipers. However, caliper mounting location may differ. Between exact models of a car, they may differ if one is a sport model (think VW GTI or R compared to regular Golf).

Depending on the conditions, sometimes it is better to go -1 on the rim size. That leaves additional space for snow in the wheel well. Many vehicles come with two standard rim sizes on different trim levels, I'd generally pick the smaller of the two.

Originally Posted by NO2
Depending on the conditions, sometimes it is better to go -1 on the rim size. That leaves additional space for snow in the wheel well. Many vehicles come with two standard rim sizes on different trim levels, I'd generally pick the smaller of the two.

I agree on the wheel downsize, but not for the reason you state. Wheel size != tire circumference.

Different tire OD's would require (at the least) different speedo/odo calibration, which the mfr. bean counters typically don't like (2 p/n to manage, source, etc).

What you'll typically find is the increase in rim size is made up for by a corresponding decrease in tire profile, that lands the overall tire OD at the same place for a given vehicle. Of course it won't be exact but it should be within ~2% or so.

I like downsizing for the larger sidewall. I also like downsizing because the tire usually also has a narrower section, which is better in the snow.

Last edited:
If 16" wheels clear the brakes (fronts are usually biggest) they are good for winter.
Why not have some family bonding time and try son's wheels on front of your daughter's car?

Another option. What is spare tire size?

KrzyÅ›

Yes, according to Tire Rack, 16-in wheels will fit, and 205/55-16 is their recommend tire size
smile.gif

Strangely, the Canadian site 1010tires seem to recommend 205/60-16 rather than 205/55-16
crazy2.gif
08.gif

Also remember that you guys have more winter tire options than we have have down here, such as:
Kumho WP72 for an economy option
Continental TS830P for a premium option

A package with the Touren TR9 wheels and the Kumho tires runs about $800, while the TS830P with the same wheels is $1300
(disclaimer: these are their prices for the US, and 1010's site doesn't let you toggle between US and Canadian prices or currency)

Do you have a set of 16-in wheels, or will you be buying them at the junkyard? Or do you want new wheels?
The new aftermarket wheel/tire packages from sites like TR and 1010 are the most convenient since they come already mounted and balanced and ready to swap, but they may cost more than procuring wheels from the junkyard, and then you'll have to get the tires mounted.

If you already have wheels, or if you get them at the junkyard, get the TS830P tires from 1010 and have them mounted somewhere

If you prefer the more convenient tire/wheel packages, I'd say to get the Radius W116 wheels from TR with the winter tires of your choice, but keep in mind TR's winter tire selection is narrow.

The 225/40/18 tire is 25.1 inches tall.

Any of these tires are close enough in diameter to work, IF the smaller wheel fits.

205/55/16 = 24.9

215/55/16 = 25.3

205/60/16 = 25.7

205/50/17 = 25.1

The 205/60/16 is slightly taller, but not enough to matter. And that size will be the cheapest tire.

1010 tires probably recommended the 205/60/16 because of the load rating of the original tire. A 205/55/16 is usually 88 to 91 , where as the 225/40/18 is usually a 92. Some tire dealers will never go LOWER than the stock tires load rating.

I was able to try my son's winter tires on my daughter's car today. The P205/55r16 fit on the Forte5 SX with enough clearance for the calipers. We had a nice family get together as well. He lives a few hours away.

You are very welcome.
My wife's Forte came with 205/55-16 and I got her winter steel rims from Costco in 15" and General Altimax Arctic in 195/65-15 back in late 2014, they worked out great so far. It'll be last season on the tires thou, will go with Arctic 12 next season on.

Originally Posted by cb450sc
I was able to try my son's winter tires on my daughter's car today. The P205/55r16 fit on the Forte5 SX with enough clearance for the calipers. We had a nice family get together as well. He lives a few hours away.

Great! Get the TS830P in 205/55-16
smile.gif

For Canadians, check out 4tires.ca, I got tires from them recently, very reasonable prices and fast shipping, check out manufacturers' MIRs and APPLY for them, I had my $40 Visa within 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back