2020 Corvette Track Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Cujet
Cool video! He sure was excited about the car. It looked and sounded great.

Yes, it did sound pretty nice but the sound was somewhat drowned-out by the driver's constant commentary
crazy2.gif
. (LOL: That tight helmet seemed to be squeezing a lot of words out of his head). Anyhow, I've enjoyed watching the transition of the Vette and hope Chevy does well with this.

The current models are about 500 HP and that seems just right to me. There are plans to add more HP but I suspect it will make it harder to enjoy. Jason at Engineering Explained describes the HP conundrum quite thoroughly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUO5bp-wyLU

I love it. Maybe a used one in the next 10 years. Just waiting for the kids to leave and I really don't want to part with the Trans Am as I want my son to have it.

he was all giddy as [censored] when he was going around the track...he did back off a bit with his commentary on the 2nd half of the video, but nonetheless he was still impressed. this guy has been in everything, so it takes a lot for him to be giddy. The new vette is a game changer....

Great video, thanks. Favorite quote "apparently this is what you get for $85,000, that's unbelievable..." I assume that's the Z51 optioned price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by va2001ss
Great video, thanks. Favorite quote "apparently this is what you get for $85,000, that's unbelievable..." I assume that's the Z51 optioned price.

It was a pretty loaded C8 with the 3LT interior and probably magneride. The Z51 option is $5000, so you could get the base 1LT interior (which isn't bad) with a Z51 package for $65,000.

The biggest complaint from track testers is the slight understeer, which is expected to some degree because of the 60 rear/40 front weight bias due to the mid engine design.

I have been wondering how it compares to a similar spec C7. As have many of us. More HP often improves lap times, but when it's offset by weight gain, who knows?

Clearly the C7 does quite well on the track and is competitive with many other high end sports cars. So the answer is below, the C8 is a second per lap faster!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29431246/chevrolet-corvette-c8-vs-c7/

Quote:

"Through the 100-mph sweeper feeding the main straight, the C8 was about 3 mph faster. It hit 142 mph before braking into Turn 1 to the C7's 140, and then braked with 1.16 g's to the C7's 1.00. It registered a maximum of 1.32 g's in the banked Turn 8 hairpin versus the C7's 1.30 g's.

the C8 had the latest Pilot Sport 4S rubber, whereas the C7 wore the older Pilot Super Sports."

NOTE: Such a significant difference in braking "G's" is unusual. Generally that's chalked up to tire differences on similar cars. But these cars are not similar and weight distribution may be a big factor. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back