Anyone Practice Martial Arts?

Well, have studied and practiced some Shorin-ryu (my son has a dojo out in Phoenix)

Also some Judo, Hopkido, Wing Chun (2 years), but my favorite was Aikido.

The other stuff was helping with the Womens Self-defense training but I always got beat up by some women who got carried away.

I never really cared much for the martial arts weapons training. I figured my .40 S&W would take care of the rest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
I never really cared much for the martial arts weapons training. I figured my .40 S&W would take care of the rest.

You and Indiana Jones:

You make more and more sense everyday
thumbsup2.gif

I have a 4th degree black belt in Japanese Jiu Jitsu, and studied Karate and Arnis for many years. I dabbled in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I taught Japanese Jiu Jitsu up until about 4 months ago, and will be doing it again soon, and hopefully return to Karate when my friend gets his school up and running again.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I have a 4th degree black belt in Japanese Jiu Jitsu, and studied Karate and Arnis for many years. I dabbled in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I taught Japanese Jiu Jitsu up until about 4 months ago, and will be doing it again soon, and hopefully return to Karate when my friend gets his school up and running again.

How does Japanese Jiu Jitsu differ from BJJ? I have a Brown belt in BJJ. If you lived in Tokyo, what would your equivalent belt be? I ask because I had trained with a 4th Black belt in Judo and he said in Japan he'd be a 1st degree because they are that good and that's all they do, train 7 days a week for hours.

I've done MMA for many years then of course trained in many different martial arts. I've had the opportunity to have trained with several UFC fighters. I upheld my end competing but still knew what the end result was going to be.

Judo was a killer for me. I had a difficult time handling being thrown to the mat 50-150 times a night.

Krav Maga was my favorite, also liked the boxing, and the crashing with the close quarter drills. The rolling on the mat when doing BJJ was great for flexibility and stretching my back. I found BJJ to be very peaceful, mat Judo to be brutal, fast, yanking.

BJJ and Judo on the mat are a thinking man's game, a lot of thinking, planning, anticipating, cataloging and very quick thinking through your mind's repertoire of offense and defense moves.

I wish I lived closer to you I'd train with you. I did a little BJJ and some Judo. Loved Judo. Dabbled in Wing Chun only learning first two forms. We have a good Krav Maga school in Cherry Hill run by David Kahn.

Japanese JJ is something I was looking for in the Philly area and it's nowhere to be found. BJJ has taken over the market. Gracie Academy is about 25 mins away. BJJ is great but it's too much ground for my taste. I preferred Judo. El Idrissi teaches judo in Philly and I was going to take that up again but leaving towards Krav right now due to location.

BJJ schools are so sport focused these days and lack sufficient takedowns. Good to cross train in wrestling or Judo to gain that important element.

I practiced for many years . I couldn't martial arts myself out of a wet paper bag to be honest, but is was a great workout and lots of fun. We had military and body builders in the class and we some time got hurt from rather aggressive sparring . All the Testosterone as Said by Master Romeo. I think he enjoyed us sparring with out protective gear. We were so macho. It was really fun.

Originally Posted by buster

I wish I lived closer to you I'd train with you. I did a little BJJ and some Judo. Loved Judo. Dabbled in Wing Chun only learning first two forms. We have a good Krav Maga school in Cherry Hill run by David Kahn.

Japanese JJ is something I was looking for in the Philly area and it's nowhere to be found. BJJ has taken over the market. Gracie Academy is about 25 mins away. BJJ is great but it's too much ground for my taste. I preferred Judo. El Idrissi teaches judo in Philly and I was going to take that up again but leaving towards Krav right now due to location.

BJJ schools are so sport focused these days and lack sufficient takedowns. Good to cross train in wrestling or Judo to gain that important element.

thumbsup2.gif

Had a good friend 20 or so years ago who was getting big into Tae Kwon Do. He needed a sparring partner, so I volunteered. We both quickly got tired of it because without "formal" training, I was not adhering to how I was "supposed" to attack/defend. "Hey! That's not Tae Kwon Do! You can't do that!"
lol.gif

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Also some Judo, Hopkido, Wing Chun (2 years), but my favorite was Aikido.

Mine too I did Aikido in the early 60s when it was still almost unknown.
This is what I'd like to see women do as it doesn't require the strike force of karate, but alas women seem to chose the discipline for which they are the least suited for.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
In japanese martial arts there two versions of the art the ...-Do and ...-Jutsu the former is a milder form of the latter which is the real martial military way.

iaido/iaijutsu; kendo/kenjutsu; judo/jujutsu; aikido/aikijutsu; etc

Last edited:
My son and I practiced Uechi Ryu Karate in the early 2000's. I advanced to a green belt. My son advanced to a blue belt. I thought the military was very disciplined, try Uechi Ryu Karate.
shocked2.gif

When I was a youngster I practiced with num chucks once. I figured out quick that one day I may want to sire some kids so I abruptly quit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster
I did a little BJJ and some Judo. Loved Judo. Dabbled in Wing Chun only learning first two forms. We have a good Krav Maga school in Cherry Hill run by David Kahn.

BJJ is great but it's too much ground for my taste. I preferred Judo. El Idrissi teaches judo in Philly and I was going to take that up again but leaning towards Krav right now due to location.

I don't know how David Kahn runs his classes but he is the real deal, very knowledgeable, and tough to beat in a real fight, no competition against a non fighter, he's fast quick knowledgeable. I worked out with him one time. I was his dummy at an open house. He saw me working out and pulled me from the pack. I had already had a lot of Krav Maga then.

BJJ is a lot of sport where they train in a Gi, bare feet, and belts are given. In a true MMA gym where there are no belts, no Gi, only loose clothes, and wrestling shoes, it's real, down and dirty, your job is to win, and help others to get better. And there are take downs.

I've had a lot of Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do by a student of Dan Inosanto, Wing Chun by a Chinese man, also Muay Thai, Silat, Kali, Escrima, little Karate for the long stick fighting, Judo, boxing, ........ Wing Chun and boxing are good for teaching how to deflect. Yoga is good for the mind and control. All martial arts students should take Yoga to get their mind in the right place and come to peace and be at peace and be peaceful and learn to relax.

Originally Posted by tom slick
I recently started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for fun and had no idea how popular it is. Anyone else do martial art sports such as Judo, Muay Thai, variations of Karate, etc.?

BJJ. It's fun, it gives me something to do, and it helps keep me to keep me safe at work/anywhere else, really.

Originally Posted by 28oz
Had a good friend 20 or so years ago who was getting big into Tae Kwon Do. He needed a sparring partner, so I volunteered. We both quickly got tired of it because without "formal" training, I was not adhering to how I was "supposed" to attack/defend. "Hey! That's not Tae Kwon Do! You can't do that!"
lol.gif

I found this to be true of a vast majority of martial arts. They are very incestuous. They only work "against themselves".

Originally Posted by Ws6
I recently started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for fun and had no idea how popular it is. Anyone else do martial art sports such as Judo, Muay Thai, variations of Karate, etc.?

BJJ. It's fun, it gives me something to do, and it helps keep me to keep me safe at work/anywhere else, really.

I'm the same way. It's fun and a good workout both mentally and physically, and it's something you can do until old age. I'm not in it for competition. My 7 yo son started it 6 months ago. I thought it looked fun and started it a month ago.

Originally Posted by Ws6
lol.gif

I found this to be true of a vast majority of martial arts. They are very incestuous. They only work "against themselves".

Originally Posted by Ws6
lol.gif

lol.gif

Back