Honda Accord V6 Destroyed -- Timing Belt Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were where the oem Honda parts purchased? Hopefully not from Amazon or ebay. Best bet would be from a dealer or online from a dealer. How much did he charge for his labor?

The vehicle looks in good condition, I'd get it fixed one way or another.

But I tend to keep my vehicles a long time, way past when I probably should.

Originally Posted by CrackyWainwright
I don't know why the picture is displayed sideways. Sorry about that.

Because photos uploaded from a cell phone will always post in landscape orientation (on BITOG anyway). That photo was taken in portrait orientation.

Looks like a nice car in nice shape. Hopefully you can repair it instead of scrapping it.

Thank you, AC1DD! I appreciate your positive spirit and good will. The question of RPM at failure has come up: I was at 60+ mph and probably close to 2000 RPM because I was going up a slight hill. Yeah, I know . . . the engine was turning pretty fast at that moment.

Oh boy, I didn't know this either, that kind of puts things in a different perspective, maybe a miracle is in order. Well we can dream, right?
frown.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Because photos uploaded from a cell phone will always post in landscape orientation (on BITOG anyway). That photo was taken in portrait orientation.

Looks like a nice car in nice shape. Hopefully you can repair it instead of scrapping it.

iPhone? I got frustrated recently and took a look, and apparently Apple encodes into the picture a bit of data about orientation--that non-Apple programs may or may not know what to do with.

Supposedly the answer is to point the volume button up, and then the pictures will always be oriented correctly when you send off your iDevice. I haven't tried it out yet, though, I usually just open the photo and try to rotate in windows, and if that doesn't work, I'll use Windows snipping tool to make a "new" photo that will now be forced to be correct.

Folks have asked about where I got the parts for the job that failed, and here's where I'm going to take a severe excoriation from you men. I bought from an eBay seller with very high feedback and whose description said "genuine OEM Honda parts." For the kit I paid around $230. I've bought auto parts off eBay many times over 20 years with little to no trouble, but maybe these parts weren't genuine. They surely were packaged and labeled correctly, though.

The mechanic charged me $480 labor plus $40 for OEM coolant, so I was in for about $750 on this repair. The Honda dealer wanted about $1,000 had I gone there.

Last edited:
Folks have asked about where I got the parts for the job that failed, and here's where I'm going to take a severe excoriation from you men. I bought from an eBay seller with very high feedback and whose description said "genuine OEM Honda parts." For the kit I paid around $230. I've bought auto parts off eBay many times over 20 years with little to no trouble, but maybe these parts weren't genuine. They surely were packaged and labeled correctly, though.

Well maybe they are genuine. You still don't know if it was a material failure or installation error, I'm betting on the latter but don't really know.

That's about the right price for the real thing. I would have bought an Aisin kit if there was one available, but for genuine Honda that isn't a low ball price. Was it a dealer selling it?

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

iPhone? I got frustrated recently and took a look, and apparently Apple encodes into the picture a bit of data about orientation--that non-Apple programs may or may not know what to do with.

Supposedly the answer is to point the volume button up, and then the pictures will always be oriented correctly when you send off your iDevice. I haven't tried it out yet, though, I usually just open the photo and try to rotate in windows, and if that doesn't work, I'll use Windows snipping tool to make a "new" photo that will now be forced to be correct.

Hmm, took a photo recently and disproved that notion. Nevermind...

The mechanic charged me $480 labor plus $40 for OEM coolant, so I was in for about $750 on this repair. The Honda dealer wanted about $1,000 had I gone there.

Suddenly that $250 difference doesn't seem so large now!

We don't know what happened yet. Parts may have been correct; install error could be the problem. Or you might have gotten the rare OEM part that was bad out of the box.

This is where a good shop might cost more, but by definition a good shop would stand behind their work and fix this on their dime. All of us who DIY and/or shop around realize this, that often we'll get ahead but once in a while we'll get burned.

Situations like this are unfortunate, but not uncommon. Installing a timing belt and supporting components is MISSION CRITICAL stuff, and not every tech has the skillset and or attitude to do the job correctly. There are numerous instances of failure shortly after replacement, when you were proactively trying to prevent failure in the first place.

Some big jobs are better off left for the next owner ...

Ask Subaru / Toyota how their BRZ / FRS engine recall is going ... an increasing number of engines that were running just fine BEFORE the recall fix are blowing up after the recall work is done. The repair is removing the engine, basically tearing down the top of the engine, installing upgraded parts, and putting it all back together. The average tech has NEVER done this kind of work, and they are making mistakes that are destroying engines. And those owners are wishing they never took their car in for the recall at all.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Situations like this are unfortunate, but not uncommon. Installing a timing belt and supporting components is MISSION CRITICAL stuff, and not every tech has the skillset and or attitude to do the job correctly. There are numerous instances of failure shortly after replacement, when you were proactively trying to prevent failure in the first place.

Some big jobs are better off left for the next owner ...

Ask Subaru / Toyota how their BRZ / FRS engine recall is going ... an increasing number of engines that were running just fine BEFORE the recall fix are blowing up after the recall work is done. The repair is removing the engine, basically tearing down the top of the engine, installing upgraded parts, and putting it all back together. The average tech has NEVER done this kind of work, and they are making mistakes that are destroying engines. And those owners are wishing they never took their car in for the recall at all.

GOOD POINT. I've heard the genuine horror stories about this situation and my viewpoint would be to NOT have the work done in this specific case.

Originally Posted by geeman789

I dunno, I've DIYed a half-dozen or so timing belt changes and never had one issue. Several were done as a dumb kid who messed up plenty of mechanical stuff. One was done in the dark in a parking lot on a Mazda 929.

$230 for the whole TB kit of Genuine Honda Parts is too low. I paid around $550 for the whole kit at a reputable online Honda dealer. The genuine Yamada Water Pump alone plus the Timing Belt Tensioner cost ~$260. Then, ~$75 for the Unitta Timing Belt, ~$45 for the Koyo Seiko Idler, and ~$100 for the Adjuster. The Manual also calls for the Idler Bolt to be replaced, or at least a threadlocker be applied to it -- I just replaced, because it is a $5 part.

Last edited:
I purchased the Aisin Kit, and returned it. The WP seemed of lower quality, and the TB is not Unitta that the Honda uses. Timing Belt components are critical parts, and therefore, I prefer Genuine parts purchased from Honda.

Originally Posted by DIANgEMinONV
I purchased the Aisin Kit, and returned it. The WP seemed of lower quality, and the TB is not Unitta that the Honda uses. Timing Belt components are critical parts, and therefore, I prefer Genuine parts purchased from Honda.

That's nonsense. Aisin is the OEM water pump and the same part they sell aftermarket except the HONDA logo is ground off.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Mitsuboshi is the OEM belt supplier.

If you feel better that HONDA is printed on it, OK, but you're paying extra for that.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by DIANgEMinONV

That's nonsense. Aisin is the OEM water pump and the same part they sell aftermarket except the HONDA logo is ground off.

Mitsuboshi is the OEM belt supplier.

If you feel better that HONDA is printed on it, OK, but you're paying extra for that.

Mitsubishi does not supply any belts to Honda; they only supply belts to Toyota.

Aisin was the OE supplier of water pumps to Honda at one point, but Honda switched to yamada many years ago.

The Aisin is a decent kit but the fit/finish is not quite OE level in my experience. But for the price, it is a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back