Safety feature they all missed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I would mostly be happy if people would use their turn signals.

We are sure that many cars around here are made without turning signals.

Originally Posted by tcp71
On a motorcycle, different story.

My last motorcycle would automatically turn off the turn signal after X number of seconds if you were moving.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by billt460
We have too many beepers and buzzers already. The guy that invented the backup alarm should be taken out and shot. The guy that put them on garbage trucks should be shot twice.
How about the guy at Toyota who decided I need a continuous loud beeper INSIDE the car while backing up?

He should be shot 3 times. If you need a beeper to know when you're backing up, you've got no business behind the wheel.

The problem with all of these things, (back up alarms), is no one pays attention to them anymore, because they're everywhere. Garbage trucks, cement trucks, fork lifts, delivery trucks of every size and type. I've even heard them on some police cruisers. It's insane.

They rank right under car "alarms" that blow the horn intermittently . Have you ever been to a crowded shopping center parking lot when one wasn't going off? The concept sounds good, but fails in practice over time, because the application becomes more useless due to mass dilution. They have become nothing more than an annoyance. We have been alarmed and pass worded to death.

Besides, much like "gun locks", the majority of this crap is now being installed for legal liability reasons only. Not, "in the interest of public safety".

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I would mostly be happy if people would use their turn signals.

^This.

My 1999 Malibu had a chime for this purpose. I only set it off once, on a very long exit ramp in traffic. First thing I thought was that I had some sort of car trouble and started looking to see which idiot light was on.

My 1976 Yamaha RD400 motorcycle has self cancelling turn signals. Every vehicle should have them IMO.

Originally Posted by Drosselmier
I learned in a Defensive Driving course back in 1968, when entering or crossing a through street and a car is approaching from left or right with turn signal blinking, that if you did not see them start to blink, assume they have been on for several blocks. Never forgot. Good lesson. It is O K to assume in this situation.

My wife was nailed by somebody that put their signal 1/4 mile before the intersection they intended to use.

I almost got nailed by somebody that assumed my lane change was me taking a right.

Let's not forget illuminated dashboard, but NO LIGHTS ON at night!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back