Looking for some type of heating plate that can reach 1000c

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a project for college that involves sintering 3d printed powder metal copper parts. Right now I am looking for some type of high temperature hot bed like some type of ceramic plate that can reach 1000c and stay at that temperature for indefinitely. I am having trouble finding anything and the things i do find come from large companies that dont just sell to the general public plus they are super expensive. Any ideas on what to use? Basically I have a vacuum chamber and i want to have the heated plate inside that i can set my part on top of.

I've never encountered anything like that in the labs I've worked. I've used muffle furnaces. They go up to 1000C. You can get to 500C with a regular hot plate. 1000C is crazy hot, though.

Even if you could find one with that much output, (which I doubt), it most likely wouldn't last long. The biggest problem with electric hot plates, furnaces, even coffee makers is the heating elements slowly die, creating less and less temperature as they do. I have a couple of lead bullet casting furnaces, (Lyman, Lee). They only heat to a max of 800F.

But after a lot of use, you have to keep increasing the temperature dial in order to maintain a hot enough melt. Until you end up having to replace it. Both the hotter and more you use them, the faster this happens.

Even my Mr. Coffee takes longer and longer to brew a pot as it gets older, and the heating element slowly dies. Until I get impatient and toss it. With that said, there may be some type of magnetic induction hot plate that would reliably reach that temperature and hold it. But my guess is it would be very expensive. And I don't think it would be suitable for your purpose.

You're asking for an industrial piece of equipment. There are plenty out there to choose from, but they ain't cheap. Another factor that you may or may not have considered is in order to get that hot you'll usually be looking at 208-240v electrical. A standard 110 outlet isn't going to handle that sort of industrial power requirement. And you're not going to find something in the consumer market, they just don't exist because there isn't a need for them.

Originally Posted by billt460
Even if you could find one with that much output, (which I doubt), it most likely wouldn't last long.

Let's see. There's Thomas Scientific and Thermoplate just to name a couple off the top of my head. Thermoplate makes models that go up to 1000, 1200 and 1500 degrees.

Originally Posted by joegreen
I am working on a project for college that involves sintering 3d printed powder metal copper parts. Right now I am looking for some type of high temperature hot bed like some type of ceramic plate that can reach 1000c and stay at that temperature for indefinitely. I am having trouble finding anything and the things i do find come from large companies that dont just sell to the general public plus they are super expensive. Any ideas on what to use? Basically I have a vacuum chamber and i want to have the heated plate inside that i can set my part on top of.

Hot plates with temperature up to 1500°C available here https://mhi-inc.com/hot-plates-glow-radiators/.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
HELLO 911.

Right!...‚..."my house is on fire" or.."little Johnny's on fire".....‚

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back