OWB options for Stainless Steel firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pistol in question is a Taurus PT92 AFS-D

Stainless Steel Finish.

All of my pistols prior to this are black/cerakote and are just fine in a Kydex holster.

I'm kinda hesitant using a hard (Kydex) holster for this pistol as idk if itll mess with the SS finish, and am unfamiliar with Nylon or Leather holsters... although I'd assume Leather is probably softer and more durable than Nylon.

Anyone using Kydex for a SS sidearm? Or leather/nylon?

That a big gun to conceal. I have a PT92 but it isn't SS, it has been fine in kydex, I would imagine the SS finish is at least as durable.

My PT709 is SS but it lives in a leather IWB holster.

You will most likely have some shiny spots on the finish. It's not going to wear the metal down but you might have to buff or work the spots out. Any holster will leave some kind of marks if you use it enough.

Take a look at 1791 Gun leather. Excellent quality holsters. The owner of the company is our sales rep and he is a super nice guy.

Originally Posted by thastinger
That a big gun to conceal. I have a PT92 but it isn't SS, it has been fine in kydex, I would imagine the SS finish is at least as durable.

The CC is the XD-S which yeah has a IWB Kydex, looking for an OWB for open carry of the PT92

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
You will most likely have some shiny spots on the finish. It's not going to wear the metal down but you might have to buff or work the spots out. Any holster will leave some kind of marks if you use it enough.

I figured as much. I was just wondering if hard plastic/kydex holsters could have issues when paired with SS weapons..

Originally Posted by JasonC
Take a look at 1791 Gun leather. Excellent quality holsters. The owner of the company is our sales rep and he is a super nice guy.

Right on. I'll definitely look into them!

a kydex holster will wear the best on a SS firearm. all holster will wear the gun reguardless, if the firearm is drawn often will cause a wear pattern. in stainless steel you can have it polished or bead blasted to refinish the gun if desired.

It's a tool. Who cares. I have beat to heck guns that look rough. Inside they are like new and they are maintained, lubricated, and they work. Wear adds character. As long as it's not rusting I could care less about the finish on my tools.

My opinion.

Just remember that leather retains moisture, and if the gun is kept in leather all the time that is more time exposed to moisture.
Probably not a huge issue with a SS gun, but still something to be aware of.

Originally Posted by thastinger

He didn't say he wanted to conceal it, just carry it. Some states allow open carry, like here in Az, see it all the time. You will probably slick up the edges if you carry it a lot with Kydex or leather. Stainless steel is not rust-proof BTW.

Originally Posted by JasonC

Another vote for 1791 Gun Leather. Ordered one of their 4 way concealment holsters for my Springfield Armory XDS. The quality was much better than expected for a sub $50 holster. And it covers any IWB/OWB needs in one package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back