How Does Toyota Do It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by dishdude
How do they build such a bland vehicle with terrible driving dynamics, horrid interior quality and comfort along with attracting the worst drivers on the road to them?

When it comes to quality-many would say how bad VW's are...............................Volkswagen is sixth from the bottom in initial quality surveys. Toyota is the top eleven.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2019-initial-quality-study-iqs

spankme2.gif
We all know "Initial Quality" doesn't amount to [censored].

[Linked Image]

Yea-that's what usually those say that have cars that rank near the bottom...........
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Toyota: the Apple of vehicles. Innovative? Nope. Exciting? Not really. Proven, dead nuts reliability that just works? You bet.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Toyota: the Apple of vehicles. Innovative? Nope. Exciting? Not really. Proven, dead nuts reliability that just works? You bet.

Except that, the Prius is known for burning oil and there are class action lawsuits against Toyota for engines that burn oil across several engines.

Except that, the Prius is known for burning oil and there are class action lawsuits against Toyota for engines that burn oil across several engines.

+1

Apple equivalent: butterfly keyboards

I wonder how many people trade in their oil burning Toyota's and buy another one.... I have a theory lol. Louis Rossmann pointed out in a video how many Apple users will go out and buy another Apple product after having issues with their current one, whereas people will vow to never buy another "X" product again if they have issues with that. Some of us are like that with vehicles. I'll admit I'm guilty of it, both electronics (Never buying another Samsung phone or tablet) and vehicles (issues with Durango, bought a 300).

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Used Toyotas have that pesky "Toyota tax". As do Hondas.
I know of no other car in their segment that has one.

Why would a GM product have a Toyota or Honda tax? That'd be pretty odd...

In all seriousness, wouldn't any of the 4 door pickups have their own similar tax? Times two if it was diesel powered? Not sure about SUV's, but I suspect CUV's might be retaining value too, above what "it ought to". All driven by market demand and preconceptions.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I guess OP never heard of the 3rd gen Prius head gasket problems. They are almost a guarantee around 180k-200k mile range.
Look for a thread from a member The Ctitic. He had the whole thing very well documented and his prius is meticulously maintained.

The OP has multiple large-bore IV lines pumping in the Toyota koolaid from a large drum and has for years.

Has a bunch of rabid cultists who swear the company can do no wrong? Absolutely!

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

Has a bunch of rabid cultists who swear the company can do no wrong? Absolutely!

Toyota revenue for the quarter ending June 30, 2019 was $69.579B, a 2.72% increase year-over-year.
Toyota revenue for the twelve months ending June 30, 2019 was $273.873B, a 1.92% increase year-over-year.
Toyota annual revenue for 2019 was $272.031B, a 2.88% increase from 2018.
Toyota annual revenue for 2018 was $264.416B, a 3.02% increase from 2017.
Toyota annual revenue for 2017 was $256.654B, a 8.87% increase from 2016.

Here at BITOG we cant let facts get in the way of opinions.

Enough said................................

Last edited:
I've owned serval Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus products. I think Toyota/Lexus makes good vehicles with fewer defects than most but nothing is bulletproof. There is a tradeoff of boring for reliable.

I think Honda's are totally overrated and still living off their reputation from 15-20 years ago. My current 2018 Pilot has been my most problematic vehicle ever and with 20K the engine is wearing like crap, it's been in for multiple parts failures and there are enough squeaks and rattles in the interior to make me never want to drive the car - it's my wife's daily driver. It is already starting to feel "loose" - both the interior pieces and the steering/ride. Doors slam shut with a hollow sound. Lots of road and rear suspension noise. I just don't think they are very well made.

My Lexus RX 350 has been great so far in terms of reliability but it drives like a brick with wheels and that's fine for me. It's quiet, comfortable and as long as it doesn't give me trouble we'll be ok together.

I drove a 2002 Toyota Echo for nearly 200K miles and beat the crap out it (with the 3-speed auto at 75mph the engine was close to 4K rpm) and other than a bad ignition coil at 150K it was stellar. We had a 2005ish RAV with the 3.5 and it was problem-free. A 2007 Corolla that was problem-free. I bought my mother a 2010 Corolla and it's been superb - she still has it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ndfergy
Originally Posted by Toros
The Prius is a success for Toyota but a crapola car. A gocart will get you from point A to point B....is that what rational humans with any means really want? I think not.
A trinket novelty for the tree hugging ilk, at best.

Stereotype much!

Notwithstanding all the other brands of hybrids I don't consider Prius owners as eco-bunnies any more than I think of pickup owners as red neck hillbillies. Being wallet or environmentally conscious is not a bad thing. Even I'm more aware and concerned of these issues than I used to be like I'm sure a lot of other people are. Prius' 0 to 60 and ¼ mile times are adequate enough for most normal driving situations. Even in my Yaris with its marginally better times I don't need to redline every gear to easily keep up or pass traffic. I don't drive slowly.

What's your experience with the Prius?

I f o arted in one once in Prague. It was the worst riding car I ever sat in. I drive a Lexus. A Prius is a clown car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

Toyota revenue for the quarter ending June 30, 2019 was $69.579B, a 2.72% increase year-over-year.
Toyota revenue for the twelve months ending June 30, 2019 was $273.873B, a 1.92% increase year-over-year.
Toyota annual revenue for 2019 was $272.031B, a 2.88% increase from 2018.
Toyota annual revenue for 2018 was $264.416B, a 3.02% increase from 2017.
Toyota annual revenue for 2017 was $256.654B, a 8.87% increase from 2016.

Here at BITOG we cant let facts get in the way of opinions.

Enough said................................

I never said they weren't good, I just think almost their entire line up is boring, appliance like vehicles that I personally have no desire to own. But I also understand why people buy them, nor will I steer anyone away from one (except the Sienna, that thing was horrific). It's actually my first suggestion to any friends or family that ask "I need a reliable car, what do you suggest?" "Toyota or Lexus." "Don't you like your 300?" "I love my 300 and would buy another one in a heartbeat. But you probably won't. Just get the Toyota."

But Jarlaxle is correct. There's a difference between liking a companies products but being able to admit their faults, and rabid cultism. And some people on BITOG definitely fall into the Toyota cult.

Originally Posted by lovcom
Prius hybrids or any hybrid, how do they provide for excellent engine longevity, and provide the most dependable model that Toyota makes when their gas engines start and stop and start and stop hundreds of times a day?

Does anyone know what technology they use?

I ask because you hear so much about how stop and go traffic, short trips, etc are hard on engines.

Somebody posted a Toyota (Tacoma) document here the other day with engine details, saying they used coated crank and rod bearings. Corvette went to that a few years back too, and others. Special coatings on the bearings are tougher for Start-Stop abuse.----- polyamide or some other trick materials does it, a layer on top of aluminum bearings.

Toyota has done remarkable things. Their new Dynamic Force Engine is hitting 41% efficiency in a hybrid setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=VGfxTRYI1YQ

Originally Posted by ndfergy
Originally Posted by Toros
The Prius is a success for Toyota but a crapola car. A gocart will get you from point A to point B....is that what rational humans with any means really want? I think not.
A trinket novelty for the tree hugging ilk, at best.

Stereotype much!

Notwithstanding all the other brands of hybrids I don't consider Prius owners as eco-bunnies any more than I think of pickup owners as red neck hillbillies. Being wallet or environmentally conscious is not a bad thing. Even I'm more aware and concerned of these issues than I used to be like I'm sure a lot of other people are. Prius' 0 to 60 and ¼ mile times are adequate enough for most normal driving situations. Even in my Yaris with its marginally better times I don't need to redline every gear to easily keep up or pass traffic. I don't drive slowly.

What's your experience with the Prius?

I wouldn't own a Prius just because I find them boring to drive, but I don't think everyone who drives one is a treehugging looney. Just like not every pickup truck driver is a raging redneck. Obviously there are plenty of people who fit both of those stereotypes. A coworker drives a Prius as his daily driver. He owns several vehicles, but he says the Prius has paid for itself. My company pays mileage for travel to different sites, and as a network engineer he travels all over New England. With the Prius he actually makes money off his mileage reimbursements. With his truck he barely breaks even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back