Reccomend gear oil please

Hello

I have a 2006 Chevy tahoe 5.3l 4x4 with the Eaton g80 differential.
Can anyone recommend me a good non ls gear oil. Every oil the parts store has says ls.

Thank you

There is an active thread on this and it comes up every few months … Delvac 1 from Summit Racing is what I use in my G80's

I saw many references to people using, Amsoil, Royal Purple and M1 gear lubes with no issues.

The G80 uses any 75W90 oil with no additives. It doesn't know the difference from Walmart's oil or a designer oil. Spend as much or little as you want.

I changed my gear oil about a week ago and I used supertech 75w90 full synthetic gear oil. The rubbing/vibration feeling on turns from a stop was gone very briefly but slowly came back when my wife drove to work. Has anyone else experienced this when using cheaper gear oil? Should I add the limited slip additive or change to a better gear oil

First you asked for a non LS additive gear oil and now your asking if you should add it. I'm confused. ST is not a cheap gear oil and does have an LS additive.
To answer your question, no. I have ST syn 75w-140 in all my vehicles and I like it better than the M1 75w-90 it replaced. Only one of my vehicles (F150) has limited slip.

Originally Posted by TheProdigy001
I changed my gear oil about a week ago and I used supertech 75w90 full synthetic gear oil. The rubbing/vibration feeling on turns from a stop was gone very briefly but slowly came back when my wife drove to work. Has anyone else experienced this when using cheaper gear oil? Should I add the limited slip additive or change to a better gear oil

Add an ounce of LS additive, drive the truck in a few figure-8s. If the noise is still there, add another ounce. ST oil is fine.

GM normally doesn't call for an LS additive in the G80 locker. It can't hurt though.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
First you asked for a non LS additive gear oil and now your asking if you should add it. I'm confused. ST is not a cheap gear oil and does have an LS additive.
To answer your question, no. I have ST syn 75w-140 in all my vehicles and I like it better than the M1 75w-90 it replaced. Only one of my vehicles (F150) has limited slip.

I only asked because after I changed fluid it still makes the sound when turning from a stop.
Also my rear differential was rebuilt and I dont know what or how they rebuilt it. I look online and see pics of eaton g80 locker and mine looks different. My differential has springs when you open and look at it. The g80 locker seems more mechanical. Any pic of a 06 g80 locker?

Only the G80 is part of the rear end …
So, if AAM built it … they will recommend the lubricant to the vehicle's Engineering team
That builder will recommend a synthetic knowing owners often neglect the rear end.

For the small amount more -vs- the hassle to change it … I'm going to be using something with pedigree

Originally Posted by userfriendly
Am I the only one that uses 80W140 in G80s? Chevron makes a good one, good to -30F.

I use it in other vehicles. It is closer to old spec straight 90. Excellent oil

Amsoil squeeze pack sure is easy. Wait, I mean really easy and clean and no runs, few drips and no errors.

Nothing wrong with AC Delco.

6CB24030-461C-4392-9A02-347BFF92F6FB.jpeg

Am I the only one that uses 80W140 in G80s? Chevron makes a good one, good to -30F.

I think more people would use it if it were available in 1 quart containers, or at least I have not been able to find the Delo Synthetic XDM 80w-140 anywhere online. The Delo XDM 75w90 is readily available through Autozone (only via web order for me in Knoxville, TN). I called the Chevron technical questions phone number and asked about additive package in the XDM vs the Delo ESI boron additive package. They said the XDM used a specialized sulfur-phosphorous package due to concerns about water induced additive fallout for the boron additive package. They indicated it was an even better additive package. I have seen some web postings about using both boron additives (at a lower quantity) along with a sulfur-phosphorous additive.

Back