Castrol GTX 5w30 Discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Walmart and even checked on Castrol's website. Looks like they discontinued GTX 5w-30 conventional oil. I called them and was told the same thing.

Anyways I don't change habits LOL unless there is an issue, and have been using this for every oil change since I bought by Silverado in 2002. Not once have I used anything else and I am at 160K miles. I guess Castrol Semi synthetic Ultra Clean is my next choice. I am not one to mix oils even though I know it wont hurt and I see people on here do it all the time.

I wonder why they discontinued this?

Thanks

It was phased out a while ago and replaced with the Ultraclean variant. When's the last time you bought a jug?

Valvoline did the same thing. Some grumpy customers that refuse to buy it and buy a different brand now. Most of the time I can convince them it's ok. But people are stuck in their ways even when they really know nothing about the topic. I wonder how much sales this is losing them vs sales gained from the new packaging?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
Cause there are no SN+ conventionals. Big branding shakeouts going on.

True I believe ^^^^^^

Castrol Ultraclean is pretty much GTX... GTX was semi synthetic I bet too in the API SN and ILSAC GF-5 version... Just not labeled as such.

Last edited:
Product overlap maybe; who knows for sure.🤔 Move up to a 10w30 or GTX HiMi 5w30. Or go with the Ultraclean... point is you have options that won't sacrifice anything over the plain flavour GTX.

Originally Posted by bbhero

True I believe ^^^^^^

Castrol Ultraclean is pretty much GTX... GTX was semi synthetic I bet too in the API SN and ILSAC GF-5 version... Just not labeled as such.

This is the likely answer. Castrol just rebranded GTX to something that might be more relevant to today's consumers. The last part is my guess.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by bbhero

True I believe ^^^^^^

This is the likely answer. Castrol just rebranded GTX to something that might be more relevant hype to today's consumers. The last part is my guess.

there I fixed it for you.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by PimTac

This is the likely answer. Castrol just rebranded GTX to something that might be more relevant hype to today's consumers. The last part is my guess.

there I fixed it for you.

Right. Oil companies spend a lot of money on focus groups finding out what words get consumers attention and what comes to mind when they see the word(s). "Ultra", "Ultimate", "Advanced", "Pro" and so on. It's not unique to Castrol/BP...they all do it.

Plain Jane GTX and GTX Ultraclean are probably more alike than different... and it's been rebranded. I've seen UOA's of Ultraclean where it performed admirably on 5k+ mile runs. I personally wouldn't have any concerns putting it into my engine

Originally Posted by dogememe
Valvoline did the same thing. Some grumpy customers that refuse to buy it and buy a different brand now. Most of the time I can convince them it's ok. But people are stuck in their ways even when they really know nothing about the topic. I wonder how much sales this is losing them vs sales gained from the new packaging?

Yep-- I've gotten on Amazon and tried to explain to people who are ticked that Valvoline Daily Protection 5w30 is semi-synthetic not conventional (and yes, they give it one star cause it isn't)-- can't win.

I have a whole pocketful of $10 conventional oil change coupons for VWB. Price for conventional has since doubled. No expiration date, but waiting for VWB to be declared semi-syn by the change place and my coupons refused. Walmart is selling ST high mileage synthetic as their hi mi/ syn blend change.

Last edited:

Walmart supertech is SN+ even in sae 30 and it is conventional.

Originally Posted by jakewells

Walmart supertech is SN+ even in sae 30 and it is conventional.

5-20 and 5w30 need roughly 50% group 3 to meet spec, unless they use Exxon-Mobil basestocks. 10w30 and up don't. Valvoline Daily Protection is labeled as semi-syn in 5w30 and conventional in 10w30. Same basic branding and label. Until a few months ago they labeled the 5w30 conventional, even though it wasn't.

Last edited:
I have a whole pocketful of $10 conventional oil change coupons for VWB. Price for conventional has since doubled. No expiration date, but waiting for VWB to be declared semi-syn by the change place and my coupons refused. Walmart is selling ST high mileage synthetic as their hi mi/ syn blend change.

They should still honor them, VWB 5W20 & 5W30 have been synthetic blend since around Feb. 2017. I went round & round with the idjits at VIOC on this, they didn't even know.

GTX discontinued? End of an era! I can remember the old tachometer commercials going back to at least the 80s, maybe further.

At my local gas station I found both 5w30 Ultraclean and old 10w30. This is up in Canada.

C5692D3F-B635-4F30-8861-CA8C7AD47BC9.jpeg

0095F4B1-EF6F-4077-9E41-0733211E7912.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back