2019 Toyota Hybrid - 1st Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Visited the local Toyota dealer to pick up 0W-16 oil, filter and oil pan bolt washer.
Changing the oil at 1,000 miles on the SUV.

Prices were surprisingly reasonable imo.

0W-16 Toyota branded oil - $6.87 per liter x 5
Oil Filter OE - $7.91
Washer - 2.99 (looks like compressed felt)

Total $45.25 before taxes

To convert to USD, apply a 25% discount or $33.94 in USD, before taxes.

I really like their washers. Just ordered a 10 pack on Ebay for under $9. The dealer's prices seen reasonable. 0w-16 oil. I'm not comfortable using the "recommended" 0w-20 oil in our Rogue Sport!

Good to get out the metal dust early like this. Then 10,000 mile oil changes from here on out. It is like 5,000 mile oil changes since it is a hybrid and the engine doesn't run all the time.
Wonder how many of us could not resist the temptation to put in 0w20 here?

Why change at 1000 miles? The oil in newer cars are better than anything you can buy off the shelf and good to do go for recommended OCI. I changed mine at 4500 miles with 4000 being severe service and that is what I drive is

Sorry Danno but $2.99 for those dealer washers is a little steep. I buy mine at the dealership also but they're only $1.00 apiece. The price you're paying for dealer oil and filter seems relatively normal though. Too tempting not to finish without a "book 'em " Cheers.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Why change at 1000 miles? The oil in newer cars are better than anything you can buy off the shelf and good to do go for recommended OCI. I changed mine at 4500 miles with 4000 being severe service and that is what I drive is

What makes the factory oil better than what you can buy off the shelf?

Changing out the factory oil early is a personal decision of which I favor. In this case it's his car, his choice.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by tiger862

What makes the factory oil better than what you can buy off the shelf?

Changing out the factory oil early is a personal decision of which I favor. In this case it's his car, his choice.

Why be so defensive when I asked op a question? I worked dealerships most of my adult life and when I got a new engine that was defective from factory before it was sold they sent me an engine off assembly line full of oil and was instructed not to replace the oil. I have seen more engines use oil and last shorter time when oil was changed
Have you ever built an engine and use break in oil? Most shops will void warranty if first oil change is changed early
If you read manual I don't know of any that recommended early oil change for first oil change but everyone does it different and I asked op why he came to that conclusion and dump perfectly good oil at 1000 miles

I wasn't defensive. Where did you get that idea?

Again it's a personal decision. Some do it, some don't. Is it necessary? Maybe not but I feel better getting out the fines from new engine assembly. It's my choice.

Personal decision on changing the oil at 1000 miles for my peace of mind.
This car gets extremely short tripped, it will get an oil change twice a year at 3,000 mile intervals.
The same as the Venza that was in service before the RAV4.

My JGC will get oil changes at 4,000 mile intervals, probably at 50% OLM.

I used to run a fleet of 1400 light/medium duty trucks.
I get the process of maxing out an OCI, as an example, we had our sprinters at 15,000 mile OCIs.

Originally Posted by Danno
Personal decision on changing the oil at 1000 miles for my peace of mind.
This car gets extremely short tripped, it will get an oil change twice a year at 3,000 mile intervals.
The same as the Venza that was in service before the RAV4.

My JGC will get oil changes at 4,000 mile intervals, probably at 50% OLM.

I used to run a fleet of 1400 light/medium duty trucks.
I get the process of maxing out an OCI, as an example, we had our sprinters at 15,000 mile OCIs.

I change mine twice a year. Mine is low speed driving. I get up to temp but after seeing son in law who drives mainly hwy in his f150 have to pay 3k for phasers at 63k by going with oil change light I will stick to 6 months

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back