Pennzoil Ultra Platinum VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, this is not my VOA. I wish I could remember where I found it to give them credit.

I did a bunch of digging on-line and finally found a recent VOA on the new PUP formulation that is certified SN-Plus in 5w30. It was actually fairly difficult to find given the amount of OA's that pop up when you do an online search. Most of them pop up with the older versions or of a different weight oil. In any event, I managed to pick up 10L of PUP for $33 CAN each. I'm looking to try it in my 3.5L Ecoboost once my current fill of M1 5w30 Full Synthetic runs out.

[Linked Image]

Reactions: a5m
Originally Posted by camryrolla
stop spreading Fake news around. This is definitely NOT PUP, as PUP does not that much magnesium or such low calcium.
The real PUP:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...zoil-ultra-platinum-5w20-voa#Post4981541

Camryrolla you're wrong,

This is the SN-Plus version. The latest version. Read before you criticize. If you read the thread you posted it says SN version 5w20.

OP,

Original post is here on BITOG, credit to member mdtaylor86

PUP SN-PLUS

Last edited:
Last edited:
camryrolla, PUP's calcium went down, and magesium increased, about a year ago or less, when it got the SN Plus (SN+) rating to counter LSPI concerns. Printed on the jugs and bottles. Besides that change, it may be about the same recipe as before.
This is a good result for all those turbocharged direct injection users out there who don't want LSPI.

Originally Posted by camryrolla
Now you are spreading more fake news with VOA with no labeling whatsoever and no original source.
Everyone on Bitog have known that PUP has large Ca, very little Mg, and a lot more TBN than 8.1 what is shown on the above chart.
Real PUP VOAs:
5W-20
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...zoil-ultra-platinum-5w20-voa#Post4981541
5W-30
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...pennzoil-ultra-platinum-5w30#Post4990292

33.gif

What I mean't was please read. Here is a link to Info about SN+ That will help you understand.

The VOAs you are linking to are old SN versions. SN+ is the new LSPI formulation which uses half calcium and Magnesium.

SN and SN+ Have totally different calcium quantities.

Pennzoil Q&A SN+ @ BITOG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
It would be best to link where this VOA came from. That's proper internet manners.

Yes I am aware of that. Hence the reason the first sentence in the post reads

Originally Posted by nlife
First off, this is not my VOA. I wish I could remember where I found it to give them credit.

camryrolla,

As the others have pointed out, you are linking and referencing the old version of PUP, the one that is designated SN. You've also linked one of a different viscosity. This VOA was for the SN-Plus designation.

donnyj08,

Thank you for finding the source! I had about a dozen tabs open across a number of sites looking for a PUP VOA. I was even over on the WRX sites scouring their info.

This VOA just brings up the question that has been asked many times on BITOG, what is the advantage of Ultra over regular Platinum?

This VOA just brings up the question that has been asked many times on BITOG, what is the advantage of Ultra over regular Platinum?

I agree with you. I certainly can't see a $10-15 per 5qt jug difference, not to mention it's harder to find than PP.

You gain better high temperature protection and oxidation resistance with PUP over PP. A VOA doesn't show you everything.

30-weights have been getting so thin lately. This one's barely 4% above the grade minimum.
But the additive pack and flash point look nice. Boron is very high, and is probably helping the tepid ZDDP level.

Originally Posted by donnyj08

I agree with you. I certainly can't see a $10-15 per 5qt jug difference, not to mention it's harder to find than PP.

It actually only ended up being $3 CAD ($2.28 USD) difference when both were on sale at Canadian Tire and Walmart for me. I don't know what the differences are in terms of actual product though. I did pick up 10L of both and will try them.

The cold flow ability is what has me interested me the most since I live in a northern part of the country and the cold months are upon us.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster
You gain better high temperature protection and oxidation resistance with PUP over PP. A VOA doesn't show you everything.

True..but it would be nice if we had something more to go off of. Both PP & PUP are 100% GTL, right?..and GTL's already pretty darn near PAO like in many respects. So if it's all the same VOA wise, why pay the premium???

*New SN+ version (lowered calcium) PUP - I would use it for sure ... I'm sure it is a good oil .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back