6.4L Powerstroke under the knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by P10crew
So the manufactures have specific instruction on how to remove the cab??? I guessed that it took these kick @&$ mechanics to figure it out on their own.
If a mechanic beats the book time does he still get paid per the book? And vise versa. ?

Most shortcuts are innovated by mechanics....Which manufactures take full advantage of once they find out! By cutting the labor time for that operation.

I got taught by an old timer that was a very good mentor to me......Do Not talk about service shortcuts to ANY "Company/Corporate Men"! I went to A LOT of factory GM training classes & seminars......Always some jacka** divulging information to the wrong people!

When working flat rate.....You get paid the same regardless of how long it takes to do the job.

Ah ha didn't know that. Do you normally get 2 bays so that when you are waiting on parts you can get on a second paying job right away?

I usually had 2 bays, But not always 2 lifts. Lifts are where you make your money most efficiently.....So I try not to clog my lift.

If I had to wait for parts on this truck, I'd lower the cab back down & push it out of the way. Planning ahead goes a long way! I didn't start on it 'til all the parts were delivered.

I also try to have enough diagnostic jobs to fill in.....Those difficult problems that have been to several shops/mechanics.

I have a 2nd lift for my other bay, Just need the time to install it along with 100 other thing I want to do!

Sorry for the autobiography sidetrack on my part. Good job on getting it done. I'm sure the owner who has sentimental value in the truck appreciates it.

Originally Posted by ls973800
Curious what the aluminium wheel shown in two of the pictures is being used for. Trip hazard, stepping stool, seat,? LOL

Thanks for posting this, it's very interesting.

I use it as a stepping stool, I call it my Ghetto Wheel. It's a 22" or 24" with flat wide spokes.....Perfect for standing on!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by ls973800
Curious what the aluminium wheel shown in two of the pictures is being used for. Trip hazard, stepping stool, seat,? LOL

Thanks for posting this, it's very interesting.

I use it as a stepping stool, I call it my Ghetto Wheel. It's a 22" or 24" with flat wide spokes.....Perfect for standing on!

Thanks. For some reason just seeing it there I kind of thought it was used for a steeping stool.

Great work as usual
thumbsup2.gif
I see that pressure sensor you replaced appears to be an updated design?

That's awesome CLine never really knew how it worked behind the scenes. As with all trades the dudes that are on the top of their game and at the top of their trade are the ones that are positive all the time good or bad! CLine your not the only one on this site that shines but you are definitely up top man. 22" ghetto cheater foot stool.......... well at least he's not rollin on a donut!

Nice job. You definitely have way more patience that I do. With that said, I would not own a diesel for anything. My fiancee's mom own's a 2004 Super Duty with the 6.0 with only about 75,000 miles on it and it recently blew a head gasket and did some other damage including taking out the fuel injectors to the tune of a $10,000 repair to get it running again. The truck is probably not worth much more than that if that.

My fiancee had a 2003 Super Duty with the 6.0 that never had any issues but I convinced her to get rid of it when it hit about 96,000 miles before she had any major repairs come down the road.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back