How do you get next day delivery on Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live 400 miles from the commerce city CO DC and about 75% of the orders are next day if it's stocked at the DC

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted by eljefino
Some zip codes get it. Most do not.

Even then the items are very limited to like the 2000 most popular things they can stock in local warehouses.

Well there we have it then. I'm not going to spend $12.99/month just to get the item a couple days sooner when I can just get regular shipping for free and get my item in 5 days vs 3.

Thanks for answering my question. Also I noticed that amazon can commonly be a day or two late on items shipped. I bought two sombrero hats 6 days ago and they were supposed to be here by 8pm. I came home at 3 today with a ups package at my door, but it wasn't the package that was supposed to be here today.

Amazon Prime video is nearly the equivalent of Netflix. You get a lot more than package delivery.

I understand motor oil madman. I happen to live close to a warehouse in central Jersey so pardon my attempt at humor. But don't think Bezos is done. Eventually they'll be smaller satellite warehouses every where. They track your online browsing habits and will pre-position merchandise that you've "looked at" to a fulfillment center close to you in order to deliver it faster when you eventually decide to buy. Scary stuff.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
All I know is that my deliveries come from an underpaid driver driving for a third party outfit in a dark navy blue van that says Prime on the side.
When UPS delivered some of my Amazon packages, the UPS driver is paid a livable wage with good benefits and didn't live in section 8 housing
unlike many of the third party Amazon drivers. I'm buying more of my things from other online retailers that aren't trying to overtake the world.

Come on... tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back...

At least Amazon has the ability to deliver packages on time, and the packages arrive in excellent condition.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Some zip codes get it. Most do not.

Even then the items are very limited to like the 2000 most popular things they can stock in local warehouses.

Probably more like 2,000,000 most popular items. I have ordered so many diverse and obscure things over all categories it blows my mind that they are in stock and delivered same day, next day,or 2 days at most. Well worth $120 for our family.

In stock does not necessarily mean in an Amazon warehouse. No way do they inventory all that stuff. They have amazing ability to network with outside suppliers.

Last edited:
I get it on most items free because I'm a prime member. Sometimes I even get same-day delivery for free if I order early enough or sometimes a cheap $3.99 same day shipping if I'm buying for work because I'm in the city but there's amazon warehouses everywhere here.

All our deliveries from Amazon are from brown Amazon trucks/employees. Gone is UPS or FedEx, no more.
With that said, we now do everything humanly possible to avoid ordering anything from Amazon (or at least I do, wife might feel a little differently) Hate the company, we buy everything online, have for 25 years, and first check all other sites for price before considering Amazon.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Remember when Amazon only sold books?

I remember when they first came out they were anywhere from 20-50% more expensive then all the other websites. Then like 15 years later they're almost a monopoly.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
All our deliveries from Amazon are from brown Amazon trucks/employees. Gone is UPS or FedEx, no more.
With that said, we now do everything humanly possible to avoid ordering anything from Amazon (or at least I do, wife might feel a little differently) Hate the company, we buy everything online, have for 25 years, and first check all other sites for price before considering Amazon.

Around here I have not seen any amazon trucks, it's all UPS, FedEx or USPS. Curious why you hate Amazon?

All I know is that my deliveries come from an underpaid driver driving for a third party outfit in a dark navy blue van that says Prime on the side.
When UPS delivered some of my Amazon packages, the UPS driver is paid a livable wage with good benefits and didn't live in section 8 housing
unlike many of the third party Amazon drivers. I'm buying more of my things from other online retailers that aren't trying to overtake the world.

All you know?...how exactly do you know that Amazon's independently contracted deliverer's live in subsidized housing? Did FB tell you that?...‚

For the right individual it's actually not a bad gig...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste

Amazon Prime video is nearly the equivalent of Netflix. You get a lot more than package delivery.

While the movies may not be the latest run, there's a lot of good original programming on Prime. Add to that the other benefits like free music, Audible and their free/lending library on books..it easily makes Prime a good value in my opinion.

Last edited:
If Amazon misses a one day guaranteed delivery date, they have to compensate you by extending your Prime membership by one month. Not a lot of people are aware of this. I usually get at least 15 months worth of membership for one annual fee due to late deliveries. Buying one day guaranteed shipment products are a good way to do this since they are the most likely to fail the delivery time guarantee.

Amazon has a "final" delivery hub 18 miles away from us. I'm not sure how these function but I suspect they don't stock items there. It's no different than a UPS or Fedex "center" where packages arrive by semi-trailer and are sorted for final delivery (looking further, they refer to it as a "Delivery Station"). We do have at least (3) full-blown Amazon warehouses (Hebron KY, Monroe OH, and Columbus OH) but I still rarely have the option for next-day delivery. I do suspect it depends on the time of day that you place your order too.

------------ ------------ ------------

I just looked at multiple random items (air filter for car, wallet, a wrench, laminating sheets, shipping labels, etc) and many are offering next day delivery (via Prime). Interestingly some say I have to order within 2 hours and 11 minutes, others say 4 hours, one said 7 hours.

If you can wait a couple of days, shop on ebay. Most things are free shipping. Sure, there are some junk items out there, but do your research, check the vendor. ebay is wayyyyyy cheaper than amazon on most things.

Pay's to shop around and to plan ahead. I am a prime member but Amazon usually isn't the lowest price available if you can wait a couple days. I do use their video services and Kindle freebies. The $129 is justified but I have used many free options with Home Depot, Walmart etc. In my case I have to pay Amazon the sales tax. Many Ebay items are still tax free and free shipping at a better price than Amazon if you can wait that extra few days.

Originally Posted by diyjake

Around here I have not seen any amazon trucks, it's all UPS, FedEx or USPS. Curious why you hate Amazon?

I used to like Amazon.

Its turned into all things evil as far as I am concerned, they have become way to powerful and mighty, they do need to be broken up.
They control too much of the media as well.

You really have to pay attention to who your ordering from, Amazon or aftermarket seller.
You also have to really pay attention when ordering from Amazon that you are not buying a "refurbished item".
Because of their return policy a lot of merchandise ends up getting resold and if your the unlucky one, you end up with something that has been opened up, missing parts or broken, possibly used.
Amazon doesn't always have the best price but people assume it does so they dont shop around.
Amazon algorithms constantly adjust price from one hour or day to the next maybe even tied to your browsing history.

The CEO (Bezo)owns and controls the most influential newspaper in the country (for those that pay attention) giving him unlimited political power to keep his empire intact, The Washington Post.

They control the content you watch on TV (for those that let them)
They know your utility bills and how many people live in your home, Alexa.(those that let them)
They know more about you, then you know about yourself and making more and more money off this information (like google) as opposed to selling you stuff.

Amazes me that people dont pay attention to this stuff, all the information is out there and if they only knew.

All good, just explaining why I avoid them, if I buy big, I rather buy from Walmart when I can. Convenient too, when I need to return something, order online, get it delivered or pick it up at the store or return it to the store and they stay out of politics.
But bottom line is I do what is best for my pocket/money and Amazon isn't as competitive as it used to be, plus as mentioned, the website is turning into a mess of refurb stuff and resellers.

Last edited:

You really have to pay attention to who your ordering from, Amazon or aftermarket seller.
You also have to really pay attention when ordering from Amazon that you are not buying a "refurbished item".
Amazon doesn't always have the best price but people assume it does so they dont shop around.
Amazon algorithms constantly adjust price from one hour or day to the next maybe even tied to your browsing history.

Well you generally have to pay attention to those regardless of where you buy any items from anyways.

On the other hand, the amount of money Amazon pays drivers is not my concern. They choose to work there for what Amazon is willing to pay them. No one is forcing them to work there, they are free to apply for a job at the UPS if they choose to. Many other higher paying jobs are available in the job market.

So if Amazon can provide me what I need at a cheaper price with free 1 or 2 day delivery, I will give them my business. Better prices and better service will get my business every time.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
I hate to cave into the convenience of Amazon. Grew up in a small Jersey town with a vibrant downtown. But things change. Needed a furnace igniter for a no heat situation it's delivered in 4 hours. A new wick for my humidifier same thing. The list goes on and on. Bezos has created a tsunami. I feel for these guys killing themselves delivering this stuff but it's like comparing the internet to a telegraph key. Adapt or get lapped.

I agree and that's why I've bought Amazon stock over the past few years.

Amazon is not always the lowest priced place to shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back