Front control arms - 2009 Ford Flex FWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Hopefully someone here can offer some assistance!

Looking for left and right lower control arm assemblies for my 2009 Ford Flex with Front Wheel Drive. I'd have lots of good options if the car had AWD, but no. So I am wondering a couple of questions:

1. AC Delco has part 45D1916 and 45D1917 for my Flex, but don't have any experience with AC Delco, never owned a GM product. I know AC Delco is just a name now, most parts made in China.
2. Moog has control arm RK620214 (passenger side) with the ball joint, but they don't include the rearward control bushing (big aluminum extrusion with rubber insert) - don't know if I can install a rubber bushing from Dorman ex # 523-254 onto the hexagonal post without needing a press?

What would you do?
Thanks, Ken

Yes, very aware of the Ford parts, but the dealers want $450 USD per side for their OEM control arms. AC Delco, Moog, are much less expensive.

Haha ya
33.gif
I didn't even look at the price of the parts. The arms list out for $662.07ea and those bushings are $118.55ea
crazy2.gif

FYI, the Moog parts with the RK prefix are their budget / value line. I've found that they're no better than the cheap Chinese stuff, yet they charge a premium for the Moog name, even though the quality is poor. If you are considering it, just get the cheap generic stuff and save a few bucks. I typically get a year or two out of these cheaper front end parts, then I'm doing the job again.

The [Moog] CK suffix is where the quality is at, but you pay a substantial premium for it.

Are you certain the control arms are different between AWD vs. FWD? Most FWD/AWD optioned vehicles that have a transverse engine I've seen use the same general suspension layout and simply lack a transfer case, differential and driveshaft.

Edit: Autozone's website lists the same part number for both AWD and FWD lower control arms. You might look into the possibility of them being the same.

I've always heard good things about AC Delco suspension components.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Audios
My catalog shows I can special order TRW 2115 and 2114, its also telling me 3/36k warranty, but not sure if amazon offers that as well. TRW is a good name and OE manufacturer quality. https://smile.amazon.com/TRW-Automo...ds=jtc2115&qid=1571267733&sr=8-1

This is great! I can order the TRW parts and have them shipped to my relatives in Connecticut and pick them up later this month! Autoanything has a good price.

Thanks again for the suggestion of TRW.

Originally Posted by perfect_oil
Mevotech makes the upper control arms for your Flex. Their parts are high quality made in Canada.

[Linked Image from mevostorage.blob.core.windows.net]

That's for the rear suspension. The items that Mevotech has for the front of my Flex are only for the AWD version...no such luck for FWD.

I agree with others that the FWD and AWD versions of the 2009 Flex should have the same front suspension, but the aftermarket Mevotech brand doesn't agree. I emailed Mevotech in Canada, they are only 1 hour away from me, and their tech said that there was a difference in the front subframe between the AWD and FWD versions. I think this is so much BS...as when I reviewed the Tasco Ford site they don't show any differences in the subframe or front lower control arms relative to AWD or FWD.

However, I don't want to play games on fit when I have to pay significant delivery charges to Canada on heavy (15 pounds per each) parts. TRW JTC2114 and JTC2115 will be my choice, hopefully this will be pain free.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
That's for the rear suspension. The items that Mevotech has for the front of my Flex are only for the AWD version...no such luck for FWD.

You're correct, they are the rear control arms. In the midst of my excitement with my rush to be a parts hero, I over looked that one detail.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by perfect_oil
Originally Posted by KGMtech

You're correct, they are the rear control arms. In the midst of my excitement with my rush to be a parts hero, I over looked that one detail.
smile.gif

I really appreciate your enthusiasm! FWIW, I had the Mevotech rear upper control arms you posted done in the Flex last week - the originals were making a horrible amount of noise

I call BS on the subframe difference. No way Ford would design two different front suspensions. I could see the subframe perhaps being a bit different to accept a transfer case of some sort to power the rear wheels, but that would most certainly be a minor change for clearance, but even then the chance of being different is remote. But heck, I've seen stranger things!

Really can't go wrong with TRW. That would be my choice between all the options presented above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back