What do you guys use for heat shielding when torching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for something to act as a heat shield for when I use the torch around sensitive stuff like sensors, plastic or hoses.

Every once in a while I'll find a video where someone is using a heat shield material but I never find out or remember what it is.

Requirements:
* Must be rigid enough to keep its shape but soft enough to where I can bend it to custom shapes (not folding, just bending) to get it to accommodate wherever I'm putting it.
* Probably be a good idea to not get hot enough to where I can't hold it any more.
* Just MAYBE withstand direct flames without melting.

Maybe without the direct flames requirement which is really only necessary for really close quarters, I can just fold together a bunch of sheets of aluminum foil? Unless the radiant heat exceeds the melting point of aluminum which I don't think it would.

Piece of scrap steel sheet, I usually try to cram it in so I don't have to hold it, although leather gloves with mechanics gloves seem to help in that department.

That's a nice idea, steel would cut it. Where would I purchase scrap steel sheet? Is there anything I can purchase at Home Depot or Lowes?

i have used oil dry. aluminium will sooke heat. on the old AFB carbs i would put my torch on the jets to un stick them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back