Early oci on new winter beater

Status
Not open for further replies.
I aquired a mb ml320 for a winter beater. I did a oc first thing but im pretty sure previous care was minimum. Would it be worth doing a short interval at first to help clean it up a bit?

Our family used to have a 2000 ML320 back in the day. We loved that car.

[Linked Image]

I changed the oil around 206k when i got it a few months ago with castrol 0w40. It now has almost 209k. I plan to keep it a year or so at least i dont have but around 1200 dollars in the car. The engine clearly has some carbon buildup and probably starting to sludge as well.

Last edited:
Run the tar out of it. I'd do another change around new years' so the current oil will absorb some of the baddies of idling to warm up, etc.

Keep changing it until it gets cleaned up a bit. I don't think you can ever get rid of a bad sludge IMO however changing frequently should help it.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Winter beater your keeping for 1 year and you care?

You're right. I'd do some basic maintenance, air up the tires, change the oil, and make sure the car is safe, and drive it. I don't think I'd waste much time or money trying to clean up the engine internals.

If you're only keeping it around a year I'd run a dino HDEO in it for full 3~5k mile oci's. Throw some Techron or Gumout in the tank at fill ups for intake/combustion chamber deposits. Who knows, you might decide to keep it once you've rehabbed it.

Last edited:
What does the engine spec? If it's in ok shape I wonder if short OCI's on whatever meets spec is best. If it's in ok shape I wonder if you can flip it to someone else when done and if they'd appreciate knowing it got proper changes. Or if as Mad_Hatter says, you might decide to keep it. Oil changes are cheap, it's the other items that can add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back