How do you get next day delivery on Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never even seen it as an option. I know they're really sneaky about trying to get you to sign up for amazon prime, but even then I haven't seen it as an option.

I believe it's only offered free to Amazon Prime members. I have Prime and have got next delivery on several items.

All I know is that my deliveries come from an underpaid driver driving for a third party outfit in a dark navy blue van that says Prime on the side.
When UPS delivered some of my Amazon packages, the UPS driver is paid a livable wage with good benefits and didn't live in section 8 housing
unlike many of the third party Amazon drivers. I'm buying more of my things from other online retailers that aren't trying to overtake the world.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I've never even seen it as an option. I know they're really sneaky about trying to get you to sign up for amazon prime, but even then I haven't seen it as an option.

Are you an Amazon Prime member?

Some zip codes get it. Most do not.

Even then the items are very limited to like the 2000 most popular things they can stock in local warehouses.

I have it as an option for some items, as well as same day delivery. I have a lot of stuff dropped off at the Amazon location in Isla Vista, the view is spectacular.

I can order some things (usually computer parts) from Amazon now at 8pm and get it delivered by 8am tomorrow. There is a large warehouse close to me.

As a Prime member, I have gotten a few one day items, but it's still mostly two days.

Prime is worth the 130 bucks a year. We had around 200 orders last year. Most of those items are cheaper than the store I would have driven to, purchasing the item, and saving me time and gas.

I just had a 3 dollar oil filter same day delivered to my house.

When we lived in Austin, we used to get the 2 hour delivery items also once in a while. It saved me tons of money when the wife wanted to go to bath bed beyond, we just ordered it on prime and saved half.

No one hour delivery in the San Antonio hill country, so same day is good enough for me.

Yes. Here in Jersey there are Amazon vans everywhere. Mostly transit type vehicles stuffed with packages. Dashboards loaded with the "next in line to deliver".

FWIW, if you NEED next day delivery, a 1 month Prime subscription is usually cheaper than next day(if available) without Prime. I've done that plenty of times.

Amazon shipping can be a bit of a gamble. Remember that there are basically 3 categories of items sold on the website-items sold and fulfilled by Amazon, items sold by a 3rd party and fulfilled by Amazon, and items simply sold THROUGH Amazon by a 3rd party and shipped/fulfilled independently of them. The first category are items likely to be available next day, while the second category is usually 2 day(minimum) and the last category is is whenever the 3rd party seller gets around to shipping(most are decently fast). It's also worth noting that regardless of your Prime status, most items in the 3rd category do not get any kind of discounted shipping.

I hate to cave into the convenience of Amazon. Grew up in a small Jersey town with a vibrant downtown. But things change. Needed a furnace igniter for a no heat situation it's delivered in 4 hours. A new wick for my humidifier same thing. The list goes on and on. Bezos has created a tsunami. I feel for these guys killing themselves delivering this stuff but it's like comparing the internet to a telegraph key. Adapt or get lapped.

Originally Posted by JustinH
Prime is worth the 130 bucks a year. We had around 200 orders last year. Most of those items are cheaper than the store I would have driven to, purchasing the item, and saving me time and gas.

I just had a 3 dollar oil filter same day delivered to my house.

When we lived in Austin, we used to get the 2 hour delivery items also once in a while. It saved me tons of money when the wife wanted to go to bath bed beyond, we just ordered it on prime and saved half.

No one hour delivery in the San Antonio hill country, so same day is good enough for me.

i agree, Amazon Prime and Costco are two memberships I get so much value from that I don't give them a second thought - they're must haves. I love being able to order something stupid like a phone case or HDMI cable that would run me $40 at Best Buy for under $10 and brought to my door the same day or next.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Gotta live close to one of their distribution centers.

The one day shipping and "Prime Now" stuff are things they have on the shelf at the distribution centers. So it takes:

1. You being a prime member
2. You living near a distribution center (likely in a major metro area)
3. Them having it on the shelf at the center

Originally Posted by eljefino
Some zip codes get it. Most do not.

Even then the items are very limited to like the 2000 most popular things they can stock in local warehouses.

Well there we have it then. I'm not going to spend $12.99/month just to get the item a couple days sooner when I can just get regular shipping for free and get my item in 5 days vs 3.

Thanks for answering my question. Also I noticed that amazon can commonly be a day or two late on items shipped. I bought two sombrero hats 6 days ago and they were supposed to be here by 8pm. I came home at 3 today with a ups package at my door, but it wasn't the package that was supposed to be here today.

Different strokes I guess. I'll stick with Prime. When the furnace ain't working in the dead of winter I'd rather wait 4 hours for a furnace igniter instead of waiting 6 days for a sombrero.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Different strokes I guess. I'll stick with Prime. When the furnace ain't working in the dead of winter I'd rather wait 4 hours for a furnace igniter instead of waiting 6 days for a sombrero.

The point is in my area, prime doesn't make delivery much faster. For some reason things get held up frequently in the sorting centers in downtown Houston.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
All I know is that my deliveries come from an underpaid driver driving for a third party outfit in a dark navy blue van that says Prime on the side.
When UPS delivered some of my Amazon packages, the UPS driver is paid a livable wage with good benefits and didn't live in section 8 housing
unlike many of the third party Amazon drivers. I'm buying more of my things from other online retailers that aren't trying to overtake the world.

I agree with this sentiment. There's times when ordering from Amazon is unavoidable... it's that or pay a substantial premium to order elsewhere. I do make an effort to shop around though, 75% of the time I can find something at another retailer for around the same price as Amazon.

My only Prime memberships have been the yearly freebies on Amazon's buck. I think they let you do the 30 day trials once a year and I take advantage of it; it's especially useful around the holidays. The 2-day shipping is hard to beat.

Amazon absolutely gives priority to Prime members. You can always pay for next-day shipping but if you see the cost, you probably won't. There will be cut-off times to meet this and it's probably much earlier than they have for their own delivery service (this isn't a conspiracy either, it's just a requirement with UPS, Fedex, etc on when they need the package in their system in order to meet that service level).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back