2014 Audi A4 with 125000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best oil to minimize oil blowby in this car?
This engine does not have rings and has a wear issue
That can show up even at low milage. Going thru a
Quart every 800 to 1000 miles. $5500 to rebuild the engine. Some chatter that Motul 8100 xcess is ok
Is it available in USA?? What are thoughts on STP
Thanks
Dickl

Does not have rings? Never heard of such a thing. How do the pistons seal against the cylider walls?

Originally Posted by Maxima97
Install a oil catch can. problem solved. use Castrol Euro 0W40 or Mobil 0W40 Euro (mostly PAO).

No

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
First thing I would do is make sure the PCV system is operating properly

Great idea.

A qt every 800 miles is not likely to be fixed by a different kind of oil.

You sure there's no leak? I'd check the oil pan and valve cover gaskets and RMS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Yes I want to hear about this ringless engine as well.

Cutting edge German engineering.

If this car is burning/leaking a quart of oil every 800 miles then there will be evidence. Smoke, obvious signs of leaking etc.

No oil or additive is going to solve that.

Maybe he means the rings are gone.

But seriously, maybe all the Audi needs is a piston soak or switching to an oil that cleans the rings out making them seal better.

Originally Posted by Dickl
Going thru a Quart every 800 to 1000 miles. $5500 to rebuild the engine.

You drive 25,000 miles a year. You add 25 quarts a year. That $125 a year. Actually it's $75 a year since you don't need to do twice a year oil changes any more. Spending $75 more a year on oil vs. $5,500 on a rebuild. That's a no brainer to me.

Maybe try running the Valvoline restore diesel oil made to clean carbon off of the rings in Cummins diesels. Heck of a lot cheaper than a rebuild.

Other than that I would just add a quart every 800mi and maybe do a filter once a year and keep on trucking as long as it runs okay. Definitely a pretty new car to have that much consumption.

I'm betting you could find another engine to replace it with for less that $5500 if you had too.

I would do a piston soak. My wife owns a 2015 Audi A4 quattro with the TFSI engine. This engine produces lots of soot and in my opinion wont experience wear issues if it has 5K OCI's.
However, I think Audis 10K OCI on this engine is a bad idea. I basically have the same engine in my GTI which has 166K on it. I only need to add 1/2 a quart around 4K miles. I do 5K OCI's on the Audi and VW.
My wifes car has 61K on it and doesn't consume any oil.

Take note of this website and look at the chart: https://www.classiccarrestorationclub.com/article/engine-vacuum-troubleshooting/#

Originally Posted by atikovi
Going thru a Quart every 800 to 1000 miles. $5500 to rebuild the engine.

You drive 25,000 miles a year. You add 25 quarts a year. That $125 a year. Actually it's $75 a year since you don't need to do twice a year oil changes any more. Spending $75 more a year on oil vs. $5,500 on a rebuild. That's a no brainer to me.

This is outstanding advice.

Scott

Originally Posted by Maxima97
If its burning oil through exhaust pipe, then you would need change oil control ring.

But it doesn't have rings, remember?
shocked.gif

What is the best oil to minimize oil blowby in this car?
This engine does not have rings and has a wear issue
That can show up even at low milage. Going thru a
Quart every 800 to 1000 miles. $5500 to rebuild the engine. Some chatter that Motul 8100 xcess is ok
Is it available in USA?? What are thoughts on STP
Thanks
Dickl

OK, I would like to know about ringless engine, but here is the deal.
You probably have pre 06/2012 2.0 TFSI engine. That engine (EA888) in Audi had issues with oil consumption because of two reasons (same engine, but lower torque was used in VW, and did not have this issue for whatever reason, although pre 2012 PCV in VW can fail too):
1. PCV
2. Oil rings are not as tight as they should be (there was/still is recall and Audi will pick up tab).

If Audi does not want to pick up tab, than use thicker oil. like Rotella T6 5W40, Mobil1 5W50, Mobil1 5W40 TDT etc.

It is my son's car and I told him that oil costs was less than $5500.
He drives about 35000 per year....outside sales in New England.
Thanks

It was my understanding that there was a "cost savings" change made to these engines....2.0 TFSI.
Initially sounded like with the improvement in machining technology they reduced the piston / cylinder clearance
in order to eliminate or reduce the qty of rings. Supposedly they reverted back to the original design after 2015.

Can you point me to the ring recall notification? The Audi dealer claims no knowledge and says the oil usage in "normal"
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back