CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE!

I usually check mine every couple of weeks with the same tire pressure gauge. Well I started to use a less expensive one I had. Checked the tires on my wife's car which we were taking on a short trip and everything was fine. A half hour down the road the tpms came on and pulled over and checked the tires everyone looked fine. Pulled into gas station and they had a meter where you punch in the number you want and it pumps it to that reading. Started down the road and light went out. Half hour later came on and then went off. Played this game on the way home. Did not have a gauge in the car and I always do. Compared the two gauges I have and the less expensive one was several lbs low compared to the one I usually use. Threw the cheap one away and bought a similar one to my good gauge so I now have a gauge in both cars. Light has not come on. I have always used pencil styled gauges.

Weekly tire pressure check on Sunday ... Mazda 2. NO TPMS.

32 ...

32 ...

29 ...

18 ... what the ???

Yanked the wheel and, sure enough, found the screw ... thankfully BEFORE any tire damage / stranded / blowout / accident.

Check your tires ... especially on a car with no sensors. The wife's Honda Pilot shows individual tire psi, so I don't worry too much about that one ...

I have about 20K miles on my RT43s. Still perfectly fine. They seem like a good, solid medium priced tire.

Good reminder. The LaCrosse I've been running at 37 all around, over the door-plaque 33, for better handling and gas mileage. The big car's chassis isolates me from the nasty roads well enough that the higher pressure hasn't been a problem. Perhaps I'll set them all at 36 this am while the tires are cold.

Checked them all today. Honda dealer said they set them to 36 Psi when I bought the 2016 CR-V in February, and they checked them again a week later when I had them align it. They were 36.5 and 36 on front and 36 and 36.5 on back, but spare that is full diamater but skinny was supposed to be 60 Psi and it was only 28 Psi.

They are 36, 36, 36, 36, and 60 now.

I have a Thermometer in the garage and when I see a 10 degree difference since last time they were checked, I will check again and record PSI

So, they pretty much get checked at least Monthly.

I learned to do visual inspection every time before getting in the car and driving off, so multiple times every day. It's so embedded into my mind I look at other people's car tires. Mandatory gauge check and adjustment on monthly basis.
Bought for and taught my daughter to use tire inflator too: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07ZCLZD51/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think that condition is an occupational hazard for a mechanic. Can't walk past a car without checking the thread on the tyres, visual check of the inflation, brake wear and condition and if any bits underneath seem ready to fall off. Planning to change careers soon so maybe I can still get better and actually look at my surroundings rather than a stranges cxar condition

I have developed the habit of visually checking my tires before I start the motor and when I arrive at my destination. That routine has saved my hide a few times. Last time it happened was last year. Got to the parking lot at work, one tire was looking low on air. I'd looked 2 hours earlier at home and all 4 tires looked fine then. Drove off to the tire shop and true enough, the old valve stem had a leak.

Taught my daughters to do the same. Last year, daughter looked at the tires after work and saw a front tire bulging suspiciously. She was going on the highway but caught the condition prior to, thankfully.

I did my annual * good deed this morning. A crossover, a Kia I think, ahead of me as I drove to the car wash clearly had a very low LR tire. Sure, late model cars all have TPMS, but still . . . We stopped at a light and I blipped the horn so that she lowered her window.

"Your left rear tire! It's real low. It might be about to blow out!"

"I know --" She pointed at the instrument panel "-- it's been tellin' me. Goin' to get some air now. Thanks!"

Put me in a good mood for the rest of the day.

* "Annual" good deed? Well, I never said I was perfect --

Reactions: JC1
I just aired up my spare (full size) today. Inflated it to 50 psi. I figure it might be a few years before I remember to check the air in it again, out of sight out of mind. I keep a tire gauge in the glove compartment so if I have to use it I can adjust the pressure at that time. A couple years ago we were in my mom's car on a highway trip, we had a flat and the spare was nearly too low to use. but I put it on long enough and drove slowly to get somewhere to get a replacement. The tire that went flat was ruined and the other one was several years old so I took it and had 2 new ones put on. This was on the rear axle so I didn't feel any pulling until it went completely flat. I suspect I'd picked up something and the pressure dropped the reason it ruined the tire.

I just aired up my spare (full size) today. Inflated it to 50 psi. I figure it might be a few years before I remember to check the air in it again, out of sight out of mind. I keep a tire gauge in the glove compartment so if I have to use it I can adjust the pressure at that time. . . .
The Buick's spare takes 60, I think. I need to check it and top it off shortly.

Thanks for the reminder the weather has cooled of and they were all just a little low. I'll be just fine now until the temps drop another 20 degrees.

We are now in Colorado Powerball season. Right now is -1 outside, by the end of the week it will be 70.
Only thing more tiring than chasing temperature is chasing proper tire pressure.

Back