AAM Axle Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Please post a link to the bulletin or copy and paste, since most have never heard of this. Would like to see the context of the bulletin.

With modern EP additves containing metal deactivators and corrosion inhibitors, I don't see where a P-containing EP add would be a problem.

The only formulation without P elements would be base oils with Potassium Borate additive packages.

I've seen it. But is is vague. I'm wondering if whoever wrote it forgot to add some words. A VOA would confirm this.

Basically, the AAM doesn't use a clutch or cone LSD and does NOT need LSD additives. It uses a gear type diff. Are certain LSD additives phosphate based????

The AAM is supposed to use a non friction modified synthetic 75w90 Mopar gear oil PN 05102232AA...

I also wonder if different gears oils or additives can change the bias ratio of the gear type diffs rendering them less effective.

I seem to recall someone figuring out the OEM axle fluid was a Texaco product. Draining it at 15k miles it looked like black snot, while Mobil 1 75w90 at the next 15k miles looked like a darker olive oil.

Which Chevron or Texaco synthetic 75w-90 contains the Potassium Borate additive package?

I searched the Chevron site, but I could only find mineral oil based gear lubes that mention borate additives in the product description.

American Axles

Dodge Trucks are now using American Axles for 2003 and later. Please make sure your Service Department is using the correct lubricant and adhering to the correct fill levels.

These axles do not require Friction Modifier, but do require a special synthetic lubricant. According to American Axle, this 75W-90 lubricant part number listed below is a pure synthetic lubricant and does not contain Phosphates. This is different from the 75W-I40 that is used on DANA and Corporate Axles.

Please use Mopar Part # 05102232AA on all American Axles

Caution: Overfilling these Axles may result in lubricant foaming and overheating!

Please adhere to the fill levels described in the vehicle owner's manual or levels listed below.

9.25 Front: 1/4" +/- 1/4" (Total of 1/2" below fill hole)
10.5 Rear: 3/4" +/- 1/4" (Total of l" below fill hole)
11.5 Rear: 1/2" +/- 1/4" (Total of 3/4" below Fall hole)

Reminder
 A break in period of 500 miles is required before towing!
 Afterwards do not exceed 50 MPH for the first 500 miles of towing.

\...
Dana & Corporate Axles
Both of these axles require the 75W-140 Synthetic lubricant available through Mopar Parts when used for towing. (See Owners Manual)

I read a dealer service bulletin in reference to the rear axle fluid to use the AAM axles used in Dodge 2500/3500 axles in 2003 and later. In this it stated that correct fluid does not contain phosphates and this is the only fluid to use.

My question is what problem could result in using a gear oil with phosphates, and what other chemistry could be used to replace the phosphates in this fluid?

What levels of boron should be expected in a VOA of gear oils using Potassium Borate additive package? A VOA of Royal Purple MaxGear had 238 ppm. Are there other gear oils, other than Chevron, that use a borate additive system?

I talked to the Chevron technical help line, and I was told that Chevron did not have a synthetic 75W-90 with the borate additive package, only mineral oil.

Does any other manufacturer offer such a product?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back