Mix equal qts of 0w-20 and 15w-50 will make 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to fill my transfer case and it take 5w-30 preferred or 5w-40 oil and have several qts of what's in the title. These are synthetic Mobil 1 oil.

If not, then why not? I need 1.5qts to fill it up.

there is a formula for mixing + be aware thin oils have additives not suitable for wet clutches. for better answers more information is better, unless you prefer not to get negative info. viscosity is only part of a lube as different applications REQUIRE different additives!

Last edited:
The "winter" W ratings do not "blend" like the viscosity does. Read some on this site.

What's cheaper, replacing your transfer case because you wanted to save $5 and mixed it full of incompatible fluids, or buying the right fluid for the job? Answer: always use a fluid that meets the specs of the equipment in question.

My math, admittedly I did it in my head, says equal parts of "0" with equal parts of "15" equals 7.5, not 5. Strictly speaking of the math, not the "W" part.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
The "winter" W ratings do not "blend" like the viscosity does. Read some on this site.

What's cheaper, replacing your transfer case because you wanted to save $5 and mixed it full of incompatible fluids, or buying the right fluid for the job? Answer: always use a fluid that meets the specs of the equipment in question.

There's a good chance he's already done it and just seeking reassurance(s) he didn't #$&+ up!...‚

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

There's a good chance he's already done it and just seeking reassurance(s) he didn't #$&+ up!...‚

100%

Originally Posted by OilUzer
FYI, They sell 7.5W35, 7.5W45, etc.

HKS Oil

That 7.5W-33 diesel blend is dope. Imagine walking into a US parts store asking for that...
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn
Those are not SAE grades and are meaningless.

thumbsup2.gif
We need a sticky to explain that. It comes up often enough to be worthy of one for all the Frankenbrewers seeking answers to home blending oils.

Originally Posted by sdowney717
I need to fill my transfer case and it take 5w-30 preferred or 5w-40 oil and have several qts of what's in the title. These are synthetic Mobil 1 oil.

If not, then why not? I need 1.5qts to fill it up.

Are you sure it does not call for syncromesh (that winds up similar to that vis, but different chemistry)

There are no clutches, or chains. It is just gears. It is for a 1996 Trooper. I see nothing wrong with doing this. It could take the thicker oil but it would be stiffer when cold. The recommended oil is 5w-30 preferred but also 5w-40 is acceptable.
What do you suppose happens to engine oil when you mix 15w-40 Valvoline with 1 qt MMO a 20W oil? It cleans the motor and you can leave it in there a long time. I did that to remove the varnish off the stuck lash adjusters, took 3 days to quiet it down. It works so well, my plan leave it in till the next oil change at the regular interval. I also used a BOSS filter. Engine i 3.2L V6 SOHC Isuzu Trooper.

I know I never changed the Transfer case oil when I got this in 2013, and my daughter took ownership, then my son in law drove it, so its past due as is the rear axle that is a LSD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjayman227
Originally Posted by OilUzer
FYI, They sell 7.5W35, 7.5W45, etc.

HKS Oil

That 7.5W-33 diesel blend is dope. Imagine walking into a US parts store asking for that...
crackmeup2.gif

Not all the parts store counter guys are dummies, but I bet quite a few would actually go looking for this viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back