Knights muzzle loaders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one would you choose and why? Torn between 50 and 45, and what's the diff between the bare primer models and the "full plastic shell"? Can you swab bore by simply removing the bolt like a centerfire?

Thanks, not new to muzzleloading, but new to inlines...

I would go with the 50. Also, shoot 777 instead of black powder. I use the pellets, 2 per round. This stuff is a LOT easier to clean up compared to black powder residue. Just run hot water through the barrel, swab it out, apply a rust preventative oil with another patch or brush and you are done. I also use Gorilla Grease, the purple stuff, as thread lube on the breech plug.

Heard the 777 and Black Horn 209 were both good clean propellants. Glad they were developed, never enjoyed cleaning the old black powder.

50s seem to have the best sabot selection, but some of the new "long range capable inlines" seem to push 45 as the answer for long range performance? Marketing?

Think I found my answer on the bare primer vs full plastic.

Apparently the plastic makes it 100% weatherproof, but they are prone to leak gas when fired and may hurt ignition with certain powders. In short, sounds like bare primer is the way to go unless you plan to hunt underwater.

Thanks for the tip on the gorilla grease!

What pushed you to the knight? Solid rifles my dad has a .45 disc extreme, I just like the break actions more.

My first gen CVA Accura .50 cal will shoot sub moa. Made myself a few plugs that will shoot blackhorn209 reliably.
Harvester crush rib .458 sabot gives lots of bullet options. Watch breech design of you want to shoot blackhorn209.

Knight mostly because 100% made in USA, comes in stainless, reputation, and 200yd moa guarantee. Probably in bare 209 primer?

I like the form factor of the break actions though, and the easy removal plug they usually have that makes cleaning easy.

I like the vast amount of .50 sabots and the like available, but the .45 with the faster twist (1/20 vs 1/28) seems like it would offer a flatter shooting longer range whitetail platform. Definitely want to try the blackhorn209, so proper breech design is high on the list.

Gotcha, depending on how far you plan on shooting the .50 is an easy 200 yard gun. I like to pair the Barnes originals withe the .458 crush rib. The Barnes originals have a bit better ballistic coefficient than most bullets for the muzzleloader.

Knight does advertise a 500 yard muzzleloader in .45cal. Not sure of bullet availability. I think Parker has a few long range oriented projectiles.

I am noticing I can get both .40 and .45 Harvester sabots for a .50, so having the ability to shoot both size sabots as well as .50 conicals might negate any advantage to the .45?

Are .30~ cal sabots with high ballistic coefficient a thing for .45s? I have not found any if they exist, only .40s.

Parker and Barnes seem very high on everyones bullet list!

I believe prbullet.com has a sabot that goes down to .357.

You may also want to look at Fury custom bullets. Looks like an interesting selection at a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back