Does Ford F150 Have a Weird Spec for Late Models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in a parts store maybe 2 years ago, and I remember the counter guy telling a customer he didn't have the right spec motor oil for a late model F150. Now little junior wants to buy an F150. What are the details for the required spec on a 2017 V-8?

Originally Posted by atikovi
I recall some of the Mustangs take 5W50.

The 2007+ GT500, 12-13 BOSS302, 13-14 GT Track Pack, the newer GT350/R take 5W50.

CAFE is the reason for 20 weight. It is a remarkable and robust oil for most cars and some trucks. I would use a 5w30 but that's just my preference.

Originally Posted by atikovi
So why not 5W50 for the similar F150 engines?

All of those are considered "high performance". On the Track Pack GTs like mine, they turn off the thermal protection in the PCM since there is an oil cooler. Standard GTs will go into limp mode when the oil temp gets to a certain point where the Track Pack cars will let you burn the car down.

F-150s will, most likely, never be used on a road course.

Originally Posted by Hot_Ajax
... What are the details for the required spec on a 2017 V-8?

WSS-M2C945-A (which was superseded by WSS-M2C945-B1 in late 2018). Difference is essentially SN vs SNPlus. The 'A' spec oil will start disappearing as it is consumed.

Last edited:
Let's just move to a standard answer for BITOG if you don't like what the manufacturer recommends: Castrol black bottle 0W40 A3/B4. It's about as close to a one-size-fits-all as you can get, and is certified for some of the toughest oil tests there are. If you want to try something different than the recommended flavors, this one will likely sate your desires. I'm sure the 5.0 will do beautifully on it.

Castrol Edge 0W40 PDS

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Let's just move to a standard answer for BITOG if you don't like what the manufacturer recommends: Castrol black bottle 0W40 A3/B4. It's about as close to a one-size-fits-all as you can get, and is certified for some of the toughest oil tests there are. If you want to try something different than the recommended flavors, this one will likely sate your desires. I'm sure the 5.0 will do beautifully on it.

Castrol Edge 0W40 PDS

I like this answer. This is the oil I use the most. I use it in my EB all my Porsche cars and the Mustang. I usually post my UOA and have good results.
It's priced right, has a lot of manufacturer backing and easy to get. Though lately I have been using Valvoline PB in my EB because I have a lot of it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by doyall
Originally Posted by Hot_Ajax
... What are the details for the required spec on a 2017 V-8?

WSS-M2C945-A (which was superseded by WSS-M2C945-B1 in late 2018). Difference is essentially SN vs SNPlus. The 'A' spec oil will start disappearing as it is consumed.

This

Originally Posted by Silverado12
FWIW Wally's has the Motorcraft B1 spec 5W-30 for 20 bucks a 5 qt. jug.

And for $23 you can get "full synthetic" Mobil1 5W-30. And if you catch the Mobil 1 rebates you can usually get Mobil 1 5W-30 for ~$11/5qt jug.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Whimsey
Originally Posted by Silverado12
FWIW Wally's has the Motorcraft B1 spec 5W-30 for 20 bucks a 5 qt. jug.

And for $23 you can get "full synthetic" Mobil1 5W-30. And if you catch the Mobil 1 rebates you can usually get Mobil 1 5W-30 for ~$11/5qt jug.

Whimsey

Valvoline Advanced is also on roll back for $22.47 at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back