Oil Recommendation For A 2012 Tacoma 2.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I wanted to get oil recommendations for a 2012 Tacoma 2.7L with 70,000 miles on it. I did search allot of threads, and got allot of different answers
crazy2.gif
. Some say Toyota went to thin oil, only to boost fuel economy and it will end up ruining your valves and pistons . Others say they used it especially because it has VVTI system and others oil can ruin it. The manual recommends to only use 0W20. I've been using that, since brand new. I change the oil yearly, at about 7000 miles. I use a Toyota factory oil filter. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
I don't think running 0w20 in that engine will ruin anything, especially since it is the recommended grade. I think those who claim to have damage from 0w20 have issues related to extended drain intervals or incorrect oil levels instead of the oil viscosity itself. If you run the factory recommended oil and change it at the interval you mentioned I doubt you will have any oil related issues.

Thanks for the quick response. I was reading allot of people here, like 0w40. You think that's something I could run, or just stick with 0w20? Also the manual says 5000 mile oil change interval. The dealer did that for the first to changes, than they said, the interval changed to10,000 miles. Is it ok to run the 0w20 and stock Toyota oil filter to 10,000 miles?

Internet mythology. Go by what Toyota says. In days of yore, 20w 20 was common. I used it in my American Motors straight six, made coast to coast trips in the summer, and the engine ran smooth as glass and consumed no oil. This was on 1960's oil. Toyota is not so dumb to put oil in that increases wear, they know what they are doing.

We have a 1996 Tacoma with the 2.4 for a shop truck. It gets beat on with minimum maintenance.It's now somewhere around 440K on the original engine,never even had the valve cover off. It usually gets Pep boys Proline 10w40 and whatever filter is cheapest.

Use the 0w-20 Toyota recommends. You could also use 5w-30. Stay with the 5k oil/filter changes.

Edit: Your yearly/7k OCI interval is fine if recommended by Toyota.

Last edited:
Best to side with Toyota and use 0w20. You can get some of the best 0w20 in Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0w20 or the top Mobil1 Annual Protection one. That Castrol gold bottle actually is good enough to meet Mercedes 229.71 according to Mercedes themselves, a spec tough to meet and proof it is great 0w20.

Thanks for the help guys. Just wanted to make sure. I really like this truck and want to keep it for a long time
grin2.gif
. I always check my fluid levels, at least once a month. I was changing my oil spring and fall. I thought it was a big waste, because at that OCI, I had about 3,500 miles. So this was the first time, I went to yearly OCI. I'd rather do it at 7,000 , so it ends up yearly in the fall. I'm upstate and don't have a garage,. Changing oil below zero, is not fun
lol.gif
. I did find it weird that Toyota changed OCI from 5,000 to 10,000. The manual recommended 5,000 for the four cylinders and 10,000 for the six cylinders. I'm not sure why they should be different OCI's. The dealer said they have a TSB, stating four cylinders are 10,000 OCI's
confused2.gif
I have been following this site, since around 2005. I do understand that oil can go much longer, than the manufacturer recommends.

Last edited:
If you are having no issues then keep doing what your doing. You are in NY so different temps and conditions than what a different driver may have. If you are short tripping your vehicle (you said @7000 miles a year) then consider shortening your oil change interval. In any event, that is a low stress engine that will go 200,000 with routine maintenance.

Originally Posted by Tdog02

If you are having no issues then keep doing what your doing. You are in NY so different temps and conditions than what a different driver may have. If you are short tripping your vehicle (you said @7000 miles a year) then consider shortening your oil change interval. In any event, that is a low stress engine that will go 200,000 with routine maintenance.

I do a mix off short trips and long trips. Most of the milage is long trips though. I do a two hour drive, about 4 times a month. Than about 24 short trip drives a month. So that's about 5000 miles highway and 2000 miles local.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cast71
Thanks for the help guys. Just wanted to make sure. I really like this truck and want to keep it for a long time
grin2.gif
. I always check my fluid levels, at least once a month. I was changing my oil spring and fall. I thought it was a big waste, because at that OCI, I had about 3,500 miles. So this was the first time, I went to yearly OCI. I'd rather do it at 7,000 , so it ends up yearly in the fall. I'm upstate and don't have a garage,. Changing oil below zero, is not fun
lol.gif
. I did find it weird that Toyota changed OCI from 5,000 to 10,000. The manual recommended 5,000 for the four cylinders and 10,000 for the six cylinders. I'm not sure why they should be different OCI's. The dealer said they have a TSB, stating four cylinders are 10,000 OCI's
confused2.gif
I have been following this site, since around 2005. I do understand that oil can go much longer, than the manufacturer recommends.

Odd, the manual for my '09 is 5K OCI's for both the 4 and 6 cylinders. I know the newer 3.5 is 10K OCI's, but never knew they upped the 4.0. The only changes to the 4.0 in '12 was added emissions equipment. 0w20 will serve you well in your climate and 7K intervals sounds about right. That's what I plan on with mine with the 4.0.

Agree with the rest. You'll be fine going with a good 0w20 synthetic. That said, I run a little Rotella T6 5w40 mixed in with the 0w20 in our '18 4runner with the 4.0L which also calls for 0w20. The 4.0L seems to love it.

Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by cast71
grin2.gif
lol.gif
confused2.gif

Odd, the manual for my '09 is 5K OCI's for both the 4 and 6 cylinders. I know the newer 3.5 is 10K OCI's, but never knew they upped the 4.0. The only changes to the 4.0 in '12 was added emissions equipment. 0w20 will serve you well in your climate and 7K intervals sounds about right. That's what I plan on with mine with the 4.0.

I just checked the manual and your right it says 5000 mile OCI for both 4.0L and 2.7L. I think it was some where in the Toyota care paperwork, that said 4.0 gets 10,000 OCI and 2.7 gets 5,000. I remember, because I had to show them that paperwork at 10,000 miles. They didn't want to do it, because they said it changed to 10,000 OCI, like the six cylinders. They said to come back at 15,000 on the odometer, since I had it changed at 5,000. I showed them, the Toyota care paper work still said 5,000 mile OCI, so they changed it for me. Than at 15,000 they, gave me the same trouble. This time I didn't have the paper work with me and didn't want to fight. I just went home and changed my own oil. You'll have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure the 4.0 is 10,000 OCI. There 2.7 definitely is. If I still had the Toyota care paper work, I would post it.

Originally Posted by Dave1027
Agree with the rest. You'll be fine going with a good 0w20 synthetic. That said, I run a little Rotella T6 5w40 mixed in with the 0w20 in our '18 4runner with the 4.0L which also calls for 0w20. The 4.0L seems to love it.

I run T6 5w40 in all the Honda quads, thanks to the recommendations here
cheers3.gif
. That's some really good stuff for wet clutches.

Originally Posted by paoester
Best to side with Toyota and use 0w20. You can get some of the best 0w20 in Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0w20 or the top Mobil1 Annual Protection one. That Castrol gold bottle actually is good enough to meet Mercedes 229.71 according to Mercedes themselves, a spec tough to meet and proof it is great 0w20.

The Castrol edge 0w20 sounds great. The only problem is, I have 6 five quart jugs of Pennzoil platinum 0w20 to go through first. I squirreled it away, from all the rebates you guys talk about
lol.gif

Thanks for all the replies. Your guys are a friendly bunch. I've been just reading this site for years, and never really had to post. I pretty much found everything in the search. Thanks to you guys, I use zerex Asian coolant, Valvoline Max life transmission (it really is a great product for the price. It actually works in Nissan, Toyota and Honda transmissions, with no problem), change my brake and power steering fluid every three years (I use to be one of those guys, that just topped off and never changed), use Lucas red n tacky for the zerks. I'll be using the 0w20 worry free, and make sure to change it out and keep it topped off. Thanks again

You should stick with what owners manual says i.e. 0W20. Any brand is ok as long as it is API SN certified. Believe me I have used many brands and got oil analysis done. Most important is to maintain oil & filter change intervals as per service manual recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back