6.4L Powerstroke under the knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd share the latest from the shop.....2008 F250 4X4, 86,000 miles, Would randomly set P0088 (Rail Pressure To High) while pulling a trailer. Flashing in the latest calibration had no effect.

With most Bosch common rail systems the Pressure Control Valve/Solenoid is replaceable/serviceable separately from the HPFP, Unfortunately....The 6.4L uses a Siemens/VDO K-16 high pressure pump & the PCS/PCV is not serviceable, The pump has to be replaced.

I pull the cab to do this....While it's possible to do it with the cab on & I've seen techs do it, I think they must be masochist or something? I'll do a 6.0L HPOP with the cab on, But never a 6.4L HPFP!

This truck belongs to a long time customer of mine, He owns a Fire Sprinkler Installation/Sales/Service company. Usually runs strictly Duramax trucks, But has had some Dodge/Cummins & Ford 6.0L's in his fleet. This was his dad's truck & was inherited after he passed.....The reason for the low mileage.
I tried to talk him into selling it even though it had been maintained very well & never worked hard. Hasn't been 6 months I've replaced the DPF & now the HPFP. Given the DPF was already pretty well dead/loaded from all the short tripping the truck saw early on.

Gettin' ready to pull the cab.....Had to heat the Core Support Mount Nuts with Victor, So I needed to pull the headlight assemblies. The other 4 cab mount bolts came out without drama using my long 1/2" Ratchet. DO NOT use an Impact on these....The caged nut will spin if you do! While the newer trucks (2011 & up) don't have this issue.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Got the old pump out.....Service manual calls for breaking loose & torquing the drive gear bolt in the truck, I use a 5mm socket inserted in a hole in the pump to service the bolt.

Last edited:
Oh that is a horrible site. The last time my junk line truck went under the knife there were 7 trucks in that exact same stance ..... cab 5 ft above the frame. I just shook my head. The engineers had no plan in mind for working on the motors. 2 of these 7 were very new king ranch dually's.....I bet those owners were proud of their 70,000 purchase.

Vintage Craftsman -V- Thin 5/8"-11/16" wrench to back-up the Banjo fittings, It was my grandfathers....Not sure how old, Guessing early 1960's? Still gettin' the job done!!

Installed my "Bleed Fitting" at the fuel cooler preemptively to avoid extra unneeded steps!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Isn't that a piece of Ford engineering art you have to pull the total truck apart to work on it? Ford should have the pleasure of fixing that truck for free!

Technically....This is a International/Navistar engine. Ford had a similar agreement with Navistar as Chrysler has with Cummins. Navistar/Cummins builds & engineers the engines & Ford/Chrysler Warrants them.

Pulling the cab isn't that bad, It actually calls for more hours of labor to do this job with the cab on....Costing the owner more money!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Isn't that a piece of Ford engineering art you have to pull the total truck apart to work on it? Ford should have the pleasure of fixing that truck for free!

Technically....This is a International/Navistar engine. Ford had a similar agreement with Navistar as Chrysler has with Cummins. Navistar/Cummins builds & engineers the engines & Ford/Chrysler Warrants them.

Pulling the cab isn't that bad, It actually calls for more hours of labor to do this job with the cab on....Costing the owner more money!

Ya, pulling the cab is pretty easy and makes the job easier. Seeing the 6.4L engines apart, it makes me want a 6.0L even more. All the faults have been sorted for not that much money considering the result is a reliable truck.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Overly complicated garbage!

Diesel engine repair is one of...If not THE most profitable in all of light duty automotive repair. HVAC repair is probably a close 2nd in the hotter states.
The complicated nature & the price of these trucks (New & Used) is what allows a mechanic to make $100,000+ a year.

Yet....This repair only seems complicated, It's Nuts & Bolts at the end of the day!

I would call myself a DIY parts changer; I'm not a mechanic....I'd starve to death. Appreciate you guys. FWIW, I've been in several car assembly plants in the midwest working as a subcontractor when they do model year conveyor change overs and retool. The plants are kind to us peon construction workers and allow us access to their break rooms, most very nice, with microwaves, vending machines with sandwiches, coffee, etc., the conversations inevitably turn to maintenance on vehicles; how hard it is to change #### plugs on X car, getting to the oil filter on Y car, replacing ABC on XYZ...
The POINT is, I've heard engineers at all of the plants respond to access for maintenance on vehicles with similar thoughts/words: Cars are NOT designed to be maintained. They are designed to be ASSEMBLED. We don't expect you to maintain them, we expect you to throw them away and buy new ones.
Your pictures demonstrate this. What percentage of car/small truck owners have a 4 post lift in their garage; with the ability to do things like you picture? BTW, I LOVE the old Craftsman wrench. That's a treasure. I have very few tools from my dad.

Lucky you caught it in time before it flooded the system with metal. Last one I did I didn't have a choice to pull the cab. Didn't have a lift at the time. Much easier doing it that way without pulling the turbos.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Oh that is a horrible site. The last time my junk line truck went under the knife there were 7 trucks in that exact same stance ..... cab 5 ft above the frame. I just shook my head. The engineers had no plan in mind for working on the motors. 2 of these 7 were very new king ranch dually's.....I bet those owners were proud of their 70,000 purchase.

This is a prime example of what happens when you have an engine rushed into production in order to meet strict emissions requirements. The 6.4L is a throw away engine, and probably the worst PowerStroke ever made.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

This is a prime example of what happens when you have an engine rushed into production in order to meet strict emissions requirements. The 6.4L is a throw away engine, and probably the worst PowerStroke ever made.

The newer 6.7 PSD can have the engine dropped I believe rather than cab pulled. A big engine with lots of parts stuffed in a normal size engine bay. The 6.7 has two independent cooling systems for people to marvel over..

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by jeepman3071

The newer 6.7 PSD can have the engine dropped I believe rather than cab pulled. A big engine with lots of parts stuffed in a normal size engine bay. The 6.7 has two independent cooling systems for people to marvel over..

The 6.7 cannot be dropped out the bottom. No PSD can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back