Fuel price threads are always fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Reg unleaded has gone up 15c in just the last couple weeks alone.. what the #$_&...... ..it was abt $2.85/gl a couple weeks ago and now it's over 3 by a penny.

Sounds like your prices stay relatively stable or go up or down gradually. Is that the case ? I wish that were the case here. Yesterday, gas was $2.40-2.45/gallon in the morning and when I was driving home, it was $2.75/gallon at multiple stations - Speedway, Shell, Thorntons, etc. Murphy was holding at $2.40 still but they usually end up matching the others within hours or sometimes 1-2 days.

It isn't uncommon for it to go up $0.50 or $0.60 in a single jump either. It's bovine excrement !!

I paid $2.29/gal yesterday which is about normal here in Georgia. A few weeks ago, I had to go fill up a 15 gallon drum with VP-110 at $9.20/gal. It'll last a whole year though.

These huge price differences between regular and premium are nothing but gouging...

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Reg unleaded has gone up 15c in just the last couple weeks alone.. what the #$_&...... ..it was abt $2.85/gl a couple weeks ago and now it's over 3 by a penny.

Sounds like your prices stay relatively stable or go up or down gradually. Is that the case ? I wish that were the case here. Yesterday, gas was $2.40-2.45/gallon in the morning and when I was driving home, it was $2.75/gallon at multiple stations - Speedway, Shell, Thorntons, etc. Murphy was holding at $2.40 still but they usually end up matching the others within hours or sometimes 1-2 days.

It isn't uncommon for it to go up $0.50 or $0.60 in a single jump either. It's bovine excrement !!

Agreed..a .50c jump is outrageous IMO...i can't recall the last time prices jumped any more than a few cents. Most don't "feel it" because it's done incrementally but you know us BITOG'ers, we're not your avg breed. ...‚

Plus the station I go to is a branded 76.. and it's sandwiched between a Shell and ARCO (and a Chevron a little up the road; all 4 within a mile of one another) about a block apart so I think because of this prices rarely jump by a large amount. Dunno..

Last edited:

Agreed..a .50c jump is outrageous IMO...i can't recall the last time prices jumped any more than a few cents. Most don't "feel it" because it's done incrementally but you know us BITOG'ers, we're not your avg breed. [/quote]
Just to be clear, price jumps of $0.30 or more are absolutely normal then they either hold steady or drop very, very slowly. Today, they had dropped $0.03 (whoo-hoo !) since last evening. The station (chain) that drives this is Speedway and the price changes are called "the Speedway effect".

By my work, there are (4) stations very close to each other and when the Speedway raises theirs, the rest follow suit very quickly. About a half-mile away is another Speedway and they will follow but the Murphy next door doesn't. There's been days where their prices were $0.50 different and people were lined up !

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by Rmay635703
The sad part is Kwik Trip 88 is only $2.30

Why is there a $1.50 difference between reg and premium? Ours is usually a $.10-$.20 difference between grades.

I was a little kid the last time I saw that locally and diesel was $0.99 a gallon too

Though in Arizona I saw this happen twice,

things are very different out west, I think 10-20 cents difference is uncommon in most of the country

Premium is a means for the station owners to rip you off around here.

Not any different than the $630 title and registration you pay if your dumb enough to buy an EV in this area.
(All because you avoided the $41 of annual gas tax a normal car pays)

How is premium the cheapest of those three grades? And by such a wide margin? What the huh?

Thanks Shell Rewards!! There is a Mobil station close to my house that is 4.79/4.89/4.99 which now isn't remarkable except it has been that much for 6-7 years now. We are convinced they are running drugs out the back. Crazy part is people buy gas there, even with a Chevron station across the freeway that is at times a dollar or more cheaper.

IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6663.jpg

Not only is gasoline expensive in California, but with PG&E shutting off power due to their lack of equipment maintenance has really made times tough!

Originally Posted by DGXR
How is premium the cheapest of those three grades? And by such a wide margin? What the huh?

Overcharge for regular and premium seems cheap ?

Happened at 2 different stations.

Years ago something similar happened in Wisconsin, it was before e10 was common there would always be a mom and pop that sold "every grade" for the same price but didn't mention above mid grade was flex fuel till you got to the pump.

Aka
87e0
89e10

Then everything else above was flex fuel

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Thanks Shell Rewards!! There is a Mobil station close to my house that is 4.79/4.89/4.99 which now isn't remarkable except it has been that much for 6-7 years now. We are convinced they are running drugs out the back. Crazy part is people buy gas there, even with a Chevron station across the freeway that is at times a dollar or more cheaper.

I seem to remember a James Bond movie many years ago that had a Mexican cartel mixing heroin or cocaine into gasoline and delivering it in gasoline tankers. Maybe it's really happening
21.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Fawteen
I filled up the pickup for $2.24/gallon this morning-pretty much half of what you pay. I can't imagine living somewhere that outrageously overpriced, no matter how "nice" it is supposed to be.

I lived in Montgomery, AL and San Diego. Yes, gas is more expensive, but income is much higher and there are a lot more opportunities in CA.
This gas thing is ridicilous to me as we are talking about Bay area where median income is between 67k and 244k.

Last week I bought gas at Sam's Club for $2.30 a gallon, then this week I noticed the price has gone up to $2.31.

Mobil station just on the other side of the freeway from my house. This station has been this much for probably 4-5 years. This is the one I was posting about where everyone assumes they run drugs out the back.

IMG_6937.jpg

$3.85 per gallon for rag at Costco in San Ho today...
Tundra is thirsty.

FYI, gas in CA is it's highest right now in something like 10 years...

$3.79 at Costco in Sacramento.. thankfully just filling families Lexus we're borrowing. Have to fill the RV though before hitting I80 back to KC... ouch! Think we paid more around Las Vegas but will have to look at receipts.

About $2.70 for E10 87 Octane by me in the competitively priced stations. Only E10 sold by me, no E0 for sale at all. No idea what higher octane costs, I only use 87.

Still sitting around $2.19-$2.25 around here. I can't imagine living under the draconian thumb of some of those places out west.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back