Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Originally Posted by TiGeo
LM fanboi

Stick to tennis, hommie,

Still one of my favorite threads.

grin.gif

Oh! I get it now...that's an electric fly swatter...not a tennis racket..AHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
But Kool Aid taste great and is a nice, refreshing, drink.

It quenches your thirst, like LM quenches your engine.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Rock Auto has Liqui Moly...

Watch the shipping costs, however...

Liqui Moly

I get the LM kits for my Golf for ~$60 including filter/drain plug from www.shopdap.com

FCPEuro has a great deal on LM (same ~$60 delivered price) - if you return the used oil you get the replacement for free - yes, you cover shipping the oil/filter back so not really free but less than $60!

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
Even though they don't explicitly discourage it, it's not right to mail back used oil to FCP.

Eeuroparts advertised a lifetime replacement warranty like FCP and they emailed me recently how they're going out of business.

FCP posted on a BMW forum that they also have to pay to have the used oil recycled so keep in mind the more you take advantage, the greater the chance FCP will suffer the same fate as Eeuroparts which would be a shame as they're such a good company.

I don't see why it's not right if they advertise it. It's up to them to remain profitable, not the customer.

It's part of their cost of doing business but if you do the math - they're losing money each time you do this.

So yes, it's up to you to make sure they remain profitable when you're responsible for their losses.

Otherwise they won't be around for much longer.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
I don't see why it's not right if they advertise it. It's up to them to remain profitable, not the customer.

And by the way, they don't specifically advertise fluids in their policy. So this is taking advantage

Their policy is responsible for their loses. If they wanted to omit this one particular item they could. They omitted stuff already like empty aerosol cans (which makes complete sense). If they omitted oil returns tomorrow I would still shop there. If we're not taking advantage of their policy then aren't we just shorting ourselves?

I see that video is unlisted which tells me they don't want to encourage this. From what I understand, the point of the video was because people weren't taking precautions when mailing used oil.

What you're encouraging is no different than buying a 12 pack of wine at Costco, drinking 7 bottles and returning the pack under their guarantee. Then the following week, repeating the same move.

Sure they'll give you a full refund but don't think for a second it's ethical.

While I don't disagree with the comments about FCP and their return policy and verging on abuse - the have advertised it. I really don't think many folks take advantage of it and for that reason, it's probably not a huge issue for them overall. I know one person that does it - I jsut think it's a huge PITA for something that costs $60 a few times a year. They do have that video...

They don't advertise it. The video is unlisted so obviously they don't want it advertised on their main page.

Their policy does not mention liquids.

You're right that not many people do it - they've said this before.

This is why they haven't changed the policy. Same reason that Costco hasn't changed their policy.

Most people know that it's wrong to buy a case of wine and return it for a full refund after all the bottles are empty - just like most people should know it's wrong to send back used oil for a refund.

If everyone did it, FCP would have to change their policy or go out of business which is why we shouldn't be advocating it's okay and spread false information like they encourage it.

Originally Posted by michael007
They don't advertise it. The video is unlisted so obviously they don't want it advertised on their main page.

Their policy does not mention liquids.

You're right that not many people do it - they've said this before.

This is why they haven't changed the policy. Same reason that Costco hasn't changed their policy.

Most people know that it's wrong to buy a case of wine and return it for a full refund after all the bottles are empty - just like most people should know it's wrong to send back used oil for a refund.

If everyone did it, FCP would have to change their policy or go out of business which is why we shouldn't be advocating it's okay and spread false information like they encourage it.

They don't hide it, their oil videos all have the link to the lifetime replacement policy - I've read social media posts by them talking about this. If this is drama, they should simply exclude it. I can't believe they mention brake pads, wiper blades, etc. Again, easy - just exclude this stuff. I don't think using a policy they have is wrong. Watch the video below, interesting what they take back. I just see it as a bit different than the wine example so will disagree. There is a lot of info out in the Euro car community on this (returning oil to them) - I've never even heard of someone returning wine to Costco. I have no idea why don't just exclude liquids etc. Stange policy but they most think it drives their business from people ordering new kits and throwing a bunch of other stuff in the basket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuhcW_PrV1M&t=3s

I watched that last video you posted. They mention used oil is sent to them by customers buying their maintenance kits but you never hear them encouraging it.

RE the costco wine, just type "reddit costco wine returns" and you'll find plenty of testimonials from their employees.

Both Costco and FCP have a similar policy and both don't bat an eye when you return used items. One employee wrote that he asked his supervisor if he can deny the return because the customer was coming back week after week. Supervisor responded to comply with the policy.

Both don't change their policies because an extremely low number of people take advantage of it.

FCP won't change their policy for the reason as Costco - it makes them stand out from the competition and it gets the people talking so in a way, it's marketing.

So far, they got us talking in this thread and you mentioned others in the euro community talk about it too.

We agree that it's part of their costs of doing business but considering every time you make a claim, they cover:
-the shipping fee
-the cost of the new oil
-the cost of disposal

then you should think to yourself "maybe I am justified to make this return but am I part of the problem that will result in FCP suffering the same fate as Eeuroparts who had a similar policy?"

some here mentioned "its not my responsibility to make sure they're profitable". Fine, it's your right to take advantage but do understand that you were part of their losses when you get a "404 - website not found" after typing FCPEuro.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that if you abuse the Costco return policy they will cancel your membership. I know a manager in one of the stores and had a discussion over some beers about the return abuse he sees. So my position remains, it's up to the retailer to police their policy, not the consumer. If I get a 404 when I go to FCPEuro, it will be their fault and not the consumer. Businesses have the responsibility to themselves to remain profitable and enact policy that ensures that. If I take advantage of that policy and they go out of business I will feel no guilt.

I don't disagree with some of your logic and am typically in the "I don't take advantage of [censored] camp" including insurance, warranties, returns, etc. People returning brake pads and wipers? It really all falls in the same bucket - "consumables" which are called out in the one video. Of course they don't encourage it but yet they keep on with the policy and advertise it (yes, they don't say "please return your used oil and brake pads"). I'm sure they have run the numbers and make far more in extra crap people buy when they order their new oil kit then they loose in shipping/recycling. And BTW - I'm an avid Costco enthusiast...hahahaha....I don't think I've ever returned anything to be honest in tens of thousands in purchases over the last 13 years I've been a member. I jsut land in the camp of businesses make these decisions and need to live with the consequences of consumers who will take full advantage. REI is a great example - they finally had to cut off their 100% satisfaction return policy b/c folks were returning really old stuff b/c they just wanted new replacement gear. They still have a great return policy but they scrutinize it more and have a time limit. FCP will eventually come to terms with this somewhat ridiculous policy.

I purchased 8 liters of LM 6200 Top Tec 0w20 from FCP. I wanted to get Motul 0w20 because I need VW 508. They didn't have Motul so I went with LM. When the time comes I am going to inquiry if getting Motul from them is possible since LM is so expensive. I'm going to put the ball in their court and see if they say order another kit and we'll refund you for the first one.

I bought LM after looking at this comparison of different 508 oils. I do think LM is more expensive then a lot of comparable oil but with this 508 spec nothing is exactly cheap. The cheapest one is probably Total at $40 for 5 liters. Motul can be had for around $50 for 5 liters. LM was $75 for 5 liters. I'm going to do a UOA and wanted to see what LM can do. If it doesn't give good results I'll probably switch to Motul or Total since they technical look good on paper. I do think LM will deliver, it will just delivers at a price.

https://www.ato24.de/en/blog/comparison-0w-20-engine-oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back