What Do You Do For A Living?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run a private hedge fund, aggressively conservative, stocks and options. I do everything else on the side, handyman, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, tile, sheetrock, ...

I am a internet data mining engineer. I glean data like this and tie it to actual people. I sell the results to tech companies looking for such data.

Originally Posted by GoldDot40
Originally Posted by Ursatdx
I own/operate a "Quick Lube".
35 years in the business.
21 years at current location.

I did that as well. Started off at a dealership, then worked for an independent shop. You remember QLube? Worked for them until the Pennzoil-Quakerstate merger in turn QLube was absorbed by Jiffy Lube. Left them to manage a Texaco Xpress Lube, then back to another independent...then decided to get into trucking. About 14 years total in the quick lube business.

Hmmm, back about twenty some years ago I used to work close by a QLube in Marietta, GA. Never used them since I like to change the oil myself. You brought some memories...

Now I am an expediter, which is a glorified truck driver. I drive a straight truck all over the US, transporting stuff that needs to be there yesterday, from auto parts, to electric motors, to airplane tires, to jet engines. I basically come in to save the day when "next day delivery" is just not fast enough. Once I had to expedite a $75,000.00 diamond ring from Atlanta to a CEO in Memphis. All I could hope was that she said "Yes."

I'm retired now, but before that I worked in IT for 40 years. Started out in 1967 as a programmer on IBM mainframes. Ten years later I switched over to Systems Programmer on VSE and MVS systems.
The last 12 years I was a UNIX systems administrator.

Spent about 18 years in the textile business as an Ind Engineer and owned and operated my own business for 10 of those years. The last 20 years I've worked in Funeral Service and I'm a licensed Funeral Director and Embalmer in the State of Georgia

I'm an IT Equipment Coordinator, basically I rebuild, reimage, and supply all IT Equipment for all of our 50+ locations.

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
Originally Posted by CT8
Seems like all the posters have important employment.

Back in the day I was head bottle washer at Vernors.

We like clean soda bottles.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
The last 20 years I've worked in Funeral Service and I'm a licensed Funeral Director and Embalmer in the State of Georgia

That's where all that Cadillac hate comes from!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
Seems like all the posters have important employment.

"Newspaper pressman "
Not me.
Use to be a moneymaker.
Now which will come first?
Retirement or getting retired?

I work at a shop that specializes in auto AC and heating. I'm the AC guy but I get dragged into the overheats too. I also have a class A CDL. I occasionally deliver bulk cement,limestone and lately roof trusses.

I also get to go get trucks for us to work on if they don't have a driver available.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by kstanf150
The last 20 years I've worked in Funeral Service and I'm a licensed Funeral Director and Embalmer in the State of Georgia

That's where all that Cadillac hate comes from!!

Just replaced one of em with a new Lincoln ðŸ‘

I work for a DOD Contractor. We refurbish radar systems for the USMC. My Job title is Rigger. I do that as needed but also drive a truck and haul radar systems to and from Military bases. I also handle all of the hazmat and hazwaste duties for the Company. I have a background hauling hazmat so I kind of fell into that job. Been here 13 years and love the job.

Sort of retired just over two years ago at 55. I currently own 38 rental units, but turned over day-to-day management of them to a management company. Now I sit back and collect the monthly check, and spend my time in our pool or at our condo in Orange Beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back