Kohler Command twin cylinder Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

mez

Cutting my grass last week the Craftsman 48 inch lawn tractor with 339 hours, the engine was running like "half speed" I manage to cut the grass . It did it whether the blades were engaged or not. When out today start it and I just hear a click. Any ideas? Thanks

My Briggs Vanguard twin cylinder did that when I bent a push rod(s). Was running about half power, one cylinder, and managed to finish the yard. Next time I went to start it it just made a click.

Not saying that's it but something to consider.

Half power on a two cylinder? Maybe you need to compare the two cylinders. My mower slowed down and started to backfire under load last weekend after about 45 minutes of cutting. It turned out that some mice had built a rather comfortable nest on top of one cylinder, reducing cooling air flow to nothing. Luckily things went back to normal once that was cleaned out; hopefully no permanent damage occurred. Check your cooling fins, and pull both plugs to see if one looks different than the other.

Try to turn the flywheel by hand to see if the engine is locked up. You may need to take the top shroud off to do this, which is a good opportunity to check for mouse nest as mentioned.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
How do you bend a pushrod?

I don't know about the Koehler engines, but on my Briggs Vanguard the push rods are only held in place by the tension of the lifter springs, and one of them (intake, I believe) is aluminum. On mine one of them popped loose so I was only getting power from one cylinder. Fortunately it was just sitting there under the cover and fell right out when I opened it. I have heard stories where the have come loose and fallen down into the crank sump.

Valve clearance may need adjusting. Will give the indication of a bad battery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Valve clearance may need adjusting. Will give the indication of a bad battery.

Kohler Commands have hydraulic lifters, and clearance isn't adjustable.

OP I would test compression, blown head gaskets aren't uncommon for the V-Twins, especially the 25hp models.

Last edited:
I did a little more investigating on the Kohler PRO CV624 20HP v-twin. I think the blades were engage which cause the clicking sound and I determine throttle not working at all. Played around with the linkage and it's now running at full power but the throttle is not not working. Adjusting the throttle up or down has no effect. Not sure why, maybe a spring missing? Anyone have a diagram or link to what it should look like?

Originally Posted by mez
I did a little more investigating on the Kohler PRO CV624 20HP v-twin. I think the blades were engage which cause the clicking sound and I determine throttle not working at all. Played around with the linkage and it's now running at full power but the throttle is not not working. Adjusting the throttle up or down has no effect. Not sure why, maybe a spring missing? Anyone have a diagram or link to what it should look like?
Rust in the throttle cable linkage? Can you move the throttle and see what is happening at the carburetor? Try lubricating that throttle cable.

the governor should fight against a spring to actuate the throttle valve to regulate RPM. The other end of that spring should be tensioned by the throttle cable.

There is a breakage in the sheathing so not sure that's causing the issue. I'll check it out.

Kohler Command, or Command PRO? The former seem to be known for having issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back