Advice for young BITOG males...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately lots of people are in toxic , poisonous marriages because they can't decide to throw in the towel and file for divorce.

Very common to see miserable, bitter people stay married for 20, 30, 40 years for the sake of the kids, cultural, financial, family, ....etc... reasons.

I've been married for 28 years and glad I found the total package....

Originally Posted by Shannow
They become their mother...always.

So wanna see what they will be like in 25 years time ?

look at the mother. . . .

I did that very thing with Wife No. 2. She looked like Jan Smithers of WKRP; Mom looked like a redhead version of Marsha Mason in The Goodbye Girl.

Daughter kept her good looks. Unfortunately, she turned out to be a sociopath who rifled our bank account and faked the books. So a young BITOGer needs to be wary on more than one front!

Originally Posted by Red91
In other words, don't get married. If I had a dime for every unhappy married couple I've come across in my life, I'd have a lot of dimes. 🤣 seriously, I can do miserable all by myself.

As of June 26th, 2015 I can get married anywhere in the US. Unfortunately, I have yet to find anyone worth marrying. I'd marry my Suburban if I could. It's practical, handsome, and low maintenance. A little thirsty, though!

Shannow , don't take this wrong, but your situation is unique to you as is every participant in this thread. Our marriage is far from perfect, but it has lasted 46 yrs. We can hardly speak to each other without arguing and its been that way for 20 something yrs. 3 kids to raise takes precedence over personal happiness. Suck it up Buttercup. We're lucky, we saved ourselves from toxic childhoods . We were 21 yrs old, and soooo in love. 8 fantastic yrs, then kids. Kids are work, see above. Now it is survival and caring for each other.
grin2.gif

I guess I am the outlier...
I have the most wonderful, intelligent and perfect (for me) gal in the world.

I had 2 surgeries in the past year: joints fused in my foot and severe carpal tunnel.
Sue nursed me back to health and forced me to get better by pushing me hard when I was ready.

I hope I never have to pay her back.

This is a fascinating thread! I'd like to thank the mods for letting threads like this continue on without a problem!

I think most marriage problems are a result of both parties involved. Look around at people your age. Doesn't matter how old you are. You will see plenty of people your age that can't grow up, who are slobs, who are basically sorry, pathetic people. The men are drinkers, possibly drug users, they would rather hang around people like them so they can be lazy and mindless. This aggravates their wife, who is mad that they couldn't make this sorry piece of crap husband grow up, but she probably can't grow up, either. She was most likely told 100 times that she shouldn't marry this guy, not to mention she shouldn't be running around with him before marriage. Her father probably tried to tell her, if he was in the picture.

Which brings up the real problem in society in the US today - no real father in the household with kids being raised and if there is, there's a strong possibility he's some hipster-like male who is afraid to tell his kids how it is without sugar coating it because his "educated" wife tells him he shouldn't talk to the kids _that_ way, but kindly explain to them that blah, blah, blah.

I can tell you what works - talking to your kids in plain English with no BS, no skirting around the issue and no sugar coating it. My 20 yo daughter will tell you (like she's told many others) that she is glad her daddy talked to her in that manner about life. My wife didn't use to like how I would explain things or talk to my daughter, but today she (wife) will tell you that it all worked out and it's all good.

My wife constantly tells me how glad she is that I take care of things, do things without having to be told, etc. This usually comes after she's had a "girls night" or a girls weekend (like this recent weekend) where she's around 3-5 of her long-time friends who seem to gripe and complain about their husbands. I ask her if she just sits back and listens, she says yes.

Marriage is work and it is also about growing the heck up and acting like adults who have been taught how to be responsible and handle problems. That's a big issue, many parents don't need to be parents and certainly aren't educating their kids at home on how to be an adult and handle life.

If you're in a bad marriage or relationship, do something about it. Either figure out if it's going to heal and get better or get out and move on. I assure you that you're probably a huge part of the problem...if you recognize this, either do something about it or stop rooking people into entering a relationship with you where you screw up both lives.

Originally Posted by Cujet
How did I miss this thread???? Oh well.

Great advice Shannow!

My father provided all the advice he could, and it was SPOT ON. I tend to listen to advice.

However, I never got any advice from my grandfathers. That was a shame. As "the change" was completely misunderstood by me.

I married a woman 4.5 years older, mature, responsible and self sufficient. But change came early and By the time I was 40, I might as well have been a catholic priest.

It's evolution my friend. Low survival rate for the huntergather having children over 40 yrs of age.

Originally Posted by thooks
..."girls night" or a girls weekend (like this recent weekend) where she's around 3-5 of her long-time friends who seem to gripe and complain about their husbands.

A potentially toxic environment where they try to make decisions for each other's lives.

I think most marriage problems are a result of both parties involved. Look around at people your age. Doesn't matter how old you are. You will see plenty of people your age that can't grow up, who are slobs, who are basically sorry, pathetic people. The men are drinkers, possibly drug users, they would rather hang around people like them so they can be lazy and mindless. This aggravates their wife, who is mad that they couldn't make this sorry piece of crap husband grow up, but she probably can't grow up, either. She was most likely told 100 times that she shouldn't marry this guy, not to mention she shouldn't be running around with him before marriage. Her father probably tried to tell her, if he was in the picture.

One might ask a disgruntled husband or wife why they chose to marry that person? If they were a drinker or drug user or lazy before the wedding, why expect them to be different after?

I'd agree, for many things, the state of the marriage is on both parties.

However, there are some behaviors that are ONLY on the one engaged in them. If your wife chooses to have an affair, no one forced her to do it. She 100% owns the decision to do that. She may not have been happy. However, she chose the most hurtful and unhealthy way to deal with her unhappiness.

Which brings up the real problem in society in the US today - no real father in the household with kids being raised and if there is, there's a strong possibility he's some hipster-like male who is afraid to tell his kids how it is without sugar coating it because his "educated" wife tells him he shouldn't talk to the kids _that_ way, but kindly explain to them that blah, blah, blah.

Many fathers are driven out by a wife who wants a divorce (about 2/3rds of all divorces in the US are filed by women and relatively few of those women have complaints like his adultery, addiction or abuse) and is treated as a visitor to his children.

He's an ATM for the whims of the mother.

I can tell you what works - talking to your kids in plain English with no BS, no skirting around the issue and no sugar coating it. My 20 yo daughter will tell you (like she's told many others) that she is glad her daddy talked to her in that manner about life. My wife didn't use to like how I would explain things or talk to my daughter, but today she (wife) will tell you that it all worked out and it's all good.

Yep, I was told my approach was wrong. Now that my daughter is 21, I'm the one she goes to for advice, help, etc. She calls her mom merely her "Birth Giver" and that she's a big child masquerading as an adult.

My wife constantly tells me how glad she is that I take care of things, do things without having to be told, etc. This usually comes after she's had a "girls night" or a girls weekend (like this recent weekend) where she's around 3-5 of her long-time friends who seem to gripe and complain about their husbands. I ask her if she just sits back and listens, she says yes.

I'm sure there are a few things my wife might like me to do differently. But then she realizes that I do take care of things that she doesn't have to. She's found her cars are more reliable since she met me and that I can make breakfast and do laundry when working from home, leaving fewer things for her to do.

Marriage is work and it is also about growing the heck up and acting like adults who have been taught how to be responsible and handle problems. That's a big issue, many parents don't need to be parents and certainly aren't educating their kids at home on how to be an adult and handle life.

If you're in a bad marriage or relationship, do something about it. Either figure out if it's going to heal and get better or get out and move on. I assure you that you're probably a huge part of the problem...if you recognize this, either do something about it or stop rooking people into entering a relationship with you where you screw up both lives.

I'd say do something HEALTHY and HONORABLE about it. Most people, "DO SOMETHING." However, few seem to do things that are healthy and honorable.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
I read threads like this and I have to wonder whether I'm a delusional fool or I really was very lucky to have found my wife of these past 35 years.
I have no idea whether she's become her mother since her mother had died before I met her, but we still have a good and enduring relationship and still enjoy one another.
I look around at all of the unhappily married folks as well as those who've divorced and I have to wonder what we got right and they got wrong.
A ring changed nothing between us. Children changed everything but in a good way and they're both all grown up and on there own now, with one son and his spouse having bequeathed us a grandson, a little ball of fire with the ginger locks of his mother, or my wife when she was younger.
Life can be very happy and congenial if both partners in a marriage let it be.
Life is too short to allow ill will to dominate one's view, but both partners in a marriage have to share this view for it to work.
I sometimes have to give and the same is true for my wife, but over time neither of us takes more than we give.

I was thinking much along the same lines.

Try to out serve each other. Mutual respect. Find what works for you both, not what divorced peers or some societal claimed best practices are.

Work things out.

I think for us, having two stable parents on both sides was a key element to setting our norm and goals.

But, unfortunately, the math works out that somewhere around 50% of anything is below average... where those scales are, and how bad is bad could be discussed, but it's to be expected unfortunately that some will fail or at least be troublesome...

Originally Posted by Astro14
Being right isn't by definition comfortable...neither was being miserable and always wrong...

Miss the kids bad...

"You can be right, or you can be happy"...often true. But not always the foundation of a successful strategy.

Tried that for 19 years with wife 1.0.

Still ended up miserable.

Wife 1.0 tried to keep kids from me, used them as leverage in the divorce. Now, over a decade later, the kids and I are very close. Her plan was selfish, manipulative and detrimental to them.

They saw right through it.

Wife 2.0 is awesome. Beautiful. Accomplished. Fun.

We're enjoying a long weekend in Coronado, CA. Having a great time together.

Hang in there, my friend. I've been where you are. It gets better.

I promise.

Thanks mate...

Have now become an ATM...now it's only upside...thanks again.

A wise man once told me...

"If its got lips or tires you're better off renting it".

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

I heard that one before but as "if it flies, floats, or flirts it's cheaper to rent it."

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

I heard that one before but as "if it flies, floats, or flirts it's cheaper to rent it."

Was trying to be poite, but I first heard it to be " if you can fly it, float it or FK it you're better of renting.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
They become their mother...always.....

My mother told me this very same thing.

My own additional two cents. The partner you chose to hitch your wagon to is, at least partially, a reflection of your own judgment.

Oh and of course we males will take on some of the characteristics of our fathers.

If I ever do that, I hope someone will shoot me.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
The real test for a man is when she's early 40's to about 55. Good luck!!

Married 23 years...and I am just WAITING for the first time someone thinks she's my daughter.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back