Safety feature they all missed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why no added lights, buzzers, adjustable volume, increasing volume, or such on turn signals? I added a $5 vibrating motor for a massage pillow (hold your laughs) into the foam of my motorcycle seat to remind me when they're on, because the blinker lights on my Honda Valk are out of the line of sight. We see it everyday, and it should be mandatory to make it harder to leave them on.

The auto-cancel mechanism went bad in my grandfather's '74 F100, and he was very hard of hearing. He bolted a giant indicator on top of the dashboard. I'd say it helped 20% of the time...
smirk2.gif

My 2005 Chevy Avalanche has a turn signal distance chime plus a ‘turn signal on' display in the instrument cluster that activates if the turn signal is left on for 1 mile. I didn't know it had this feature until making a sweeping left hand turn one day and the wheel didn't return enough to cancel the turn signals. All Buick's should have this feature!
whistle.gif

IIRC Chrysler had something similar on the 1996-2000 minivans (prob some other cars as well) that would chime after the signal was left on for some time.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
IIRC Chrysler had something similar on the 1996-2000 minivans (prob some other cars as well) that would chime after the signal was left on for some time.

Yup, that's true. It's quite attention getting.

Most cars have a green arrow blinking in the dash display when signals are on. You just have to look at it occasionally to notice. Many drivers don't glance there enough. On a motorcycle, different story.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I would mostly be happy if people would use their turn signals.

I agree. Around here it seems most folks are not sure what a turn signal even is.

Originally Posted by gman2304
My 2005 Chevy Avalanche has a turn signal distance chime plus a ‘turn signal on' display in the instrument cluster that activates if the turn signal is left on for 1 mile. I didn't know it had this feature until making a sweeping left hand turn one day and the wheel didn't return enough to cancel the turn signals. All Buick's should have this feature!
whistle.gif

Both my cars have the feature where you just give the turn signal a tap and it just flashes 3 times and then automatically shuts off. Lots of other new cars are starting to have that feature. Useful for signaling lane changes on the highway. That's usually when you see them on for miles, someone signals a lane change and then doesn't shut it off afterwards.

My ‘87 Toronado Trofeo would chime and send you a message on the digital dash that read "right turn signal is on". My 86 300ZX turbo would say in a sexy lady's voice "Right turn signal is on" through the stereo speakers.

I learned in a Defensive Driving course back in 1968, when entering or crossing a through street and a car is approaching from left or right with turn signal blinking, that if you did not see them start to blink, assume they have been on for several blocks. Never forgot. Good lesson. It is O K to assume in this situation.

Originally Posted by Drosselmier
I learned in a Defensive Driving course back in 1968, when entering or crossing a through street and a car is approaching from left or right with turn signal blinking, that if you did not see them start to blink, assume they have been on for several blocks. Never forgot. Good lesson. It is O K to assume in this situation.

I try to look at the front tires and see if they are turning or at the steering wheel if I can see it. Either way I usually let them go past because you can never tell around here.

My Mazda CX-5 has adjustable volume on turn signal audio plus on other alerts as well. The alerts are directional in some cases like the blind spot alert.

Really??? I thought only driver's in Hawaii don't use their blinkers when turning or speeding up to cut in front of you then slowing down. I drove on the mainland in Washington, Oregon, California to Georgia, Maryland and I hardly ever encountered a driver that didn't use their turn signals.

We have too many beepers and buzzers already. The guy that invented the backup alarm should be taken out and shot. The guy that put them on garbage trucks should be shot twice.

Originally Posted by billt460
We have too many beepers and buzzers already. The guy that invented the backup alarm should be taken out and shot. The guy that put them on garbage trucks should be shot twice.

Back up signals on garbage trucks, fork trucks, wheel loaders, and many other vehicles and heavy equipment have saved numerous lives. If you're standing behind one of these behemoths when they start to back up towards you....you'll understand the reasoning for back up alarms. In many of these cases the drivers cannot see you or might not see you.

My 2001 Lincoln has the audible chime alarm when the turn signal has been left on for approx 30 seconds. Comes in very handy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by billt460
How about the guy at Toyota who decided I need a continuous loud beeper INSIDE the car while backing up?

Originally Posted by anndel

Really??? I thought only driver's in Hawaii don't use their blinkers when turning or speeding up to cut in front of you then slowing down. I drove on the mainland in Washington, Oregon, California to Georgia, Maryland and I hardly ever encountered a driver that didn't use their turn signals.

I think it's an East Coast thing, that turn signals are considered a "sign of weakness"-or maybe that's a sign of an inconsiderate (insert [censored] of your choice here) of a driver!

I can tell you that all the blinkers in CA are busted.
Especially the soccer moms in their big suburbans squawking away on their cells.

If I do see one blinking, I can only assume they don't know how what they are doing; I quickly move away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back