Found in NC: SuperTech 0w-16!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen it at our local walmart for a while now. There's a lot of new car sales here because all of the old cars rust out. Right now it seems to be a Honda and Toyota thing, wonder how long before American companies start using it. I have 15w40 in the Jeep right now, I will be tempted to replace a quart or two as it leaks out with this so I can get something a bit more reasonable for winter.

Clicked for the comments, pretty much as expected. As for topic, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the owner's manuals for the vehicles specing 0w16 make a distinction for north and south use with a demarcation. Why would WM sale of the product do differently. Rhetorical, it wouldn't. When I bought some ST Syn 5w20 for a neighbor's Civic recently, I saw the 0w16 ST/Syn for sale here in NC too. Only thing surprising to me was they (WM/ST/WPP) already had a 0w16 product on the shelves ready to go.

NC? Heck, I've seen it in our Walmart down here in Miami. It, along with AFE 0W-16. The M1 version can't stay on the shelves long enough.

Good to see it show up here … both of my old squirt cans are low and 3 in one has gone up in price.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
We have 0w-16 in both Mobil1 AFE and Supertech here in my local Walmart. Some vehicles such as the 2019 Toyota Camry are spec'd for 0W-16. If you dig into this a little further you will find that the Japanese have been running 0w-16 for a decade now.

Make that nearly 2 decades. This is a good Q&A with a couple of guys from Eneos (Japanese company) on 0w16. (fwiw, they use Grp3 base stocks)

Eneos 0w16 Q&A

Q: are any U.S. engine builders speccing 0w16 yet?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Good to see it show up here … both of my old squirt cans are low and 3 in one has gone up in price.

LOL
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD

You can buy One in 3 oil at the dollar store. Very cheap.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Originally Posted by gathermewool
I still can't believe they're selling 0W-30! Too Thin, even for the for frozen arctic!!!
40.gif

Welcome to the 21st century. How was your nap?

Does your phone not show emojis or are you unsure what SPAM is?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by 4WD

You can buy One in 3 oil at the dollar store. Very cheap.

I'm still using my BRASS Eagle 66 squirt oilier.

Last edited:
We have 0w-16 in both Mobil1 AFE and Supertech here in my local Walmart. Some vehicles such as the 2019 Toyota Camry are spec'd for 0W-16. If you dig into this a little further you will find that the Japanese have been running 0w-16 for a decade now.

AND if you look further down the rabbit hole you will see all these cars aren't loaded up with tons of miles either. I could buy JDM spec DOHC vtec engines with low miles for cheap. They dont allow all that high mileage stuff over there so they sell it over here. At a certain mileage/age parameter set by the "man" they have a inspection that is so rigerous that its not worth keeping it. I'd like to see some of these 16 and 12w's survive a 18 year old in Japan where the best aftermarket parts are made. Especially with boost! I dont think or know of any 0w20 that is HTO-6 spec'd but if there is which there could be...I dont see a 0w16 surviving 10k oci with DI and Forced Induction going 200k or more. I dont see it going even 100k after people add bigger exhausts and various HP/TQ increase parts. To even make a 16 remotely feasible it would need a 5 qt capacity and a oil cooler to get high mileage on one. Someone on this forum has stated they use oil wt recommended overseas for same car. Unless I live in Hinton,Alberta or Yellowknife I would do the same thing he is.
I hope I am wrong and 16W makes it but I doubt in my lifetime it will be as mainstream as 5w30.

Originally Posted by Marco620
AND if you look further down the rabbit hole you will see all these cars aren't loaded up with tons of miles either. I could buy JDM spec DOHC vtec engines with low miles for cheap. They dont allow all that high mileage stuff over there so they sell it over here. At a certain mileage/age parameter set by the "man" they have a inspection that is so rigerous that its not worth keeping it. I'd like to see some of these 16 and 12w's survive a 18 year old in Japan where the best aftermarket parts are made. Especially with boost! I dont think or know of any 0w20 that is HTO-6 spec'd but if there is which there could be...I dont see a 0w16 surviving 10k oci with DI and Forced Induction going 200k or more. I dont see it going even 100k after people add bigger exhausts and various HP/TQ increase parts. To even make a 16 remotely feasible it would need a 5 qt capacity and a oil cooler to get high mileage on one. Someone on this forum has stated they use oil wt recommended overseas for same car. Unless I live in Hinton,Alberta or Yellowknife I would do the same thing he is.
I hope I am wrong and 16W makes it but I doubt in my lifetime it will be as mainstream as 5w30.
I think that I both agree and disagree with the various points you are making. Keeping it simple, I think that something as sedate as a Toyota Camry will probably do just fine using 0w-16 on American roads for 200k miles. Boosted vehicles, turbos, direct injection or turbocharged direct injection? 5w-30 sounds better to me under those circumstances. Presently I am off the reservation, testing 5w-30 M1 EP in my son's 2016 Accord with the 2.4 liter Earth Dreams DI engine that is spec'd for 0w-20. We should have 10k on that oil by mid November.

OTOH - there is this 2017 Prius V, not in my signature for lack of personal work on it, that I am tempted to try a 0w-16 in...

Those Accord engines are fun to rev especially with the manual gearbox. I have contemplated the new Accord with about four grand in aftermarket parts. I'm going to keep my Civic and just give to the Dobermans when the baby is old enough to drive.

signal-2019-07-04-194528.jpg

Originally Posted by Tjbouwhu
Curious, have you seen an issue with the 0w20 causing the move to 5W30?
Thanks,
Yes and no. See discussion on the last UOA. I was concerned about the fuel dilution and its impact on viscosity heading into the hot summer months. Wear metals weren't looking good from the February sample, but they did fall back in line with the June sample. I will probably revert back to 0w-20 once we hit the 10k mark in November.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Would you truly trust a 0w16 in a mountainous area with a lot of long fairly steep grades?? Would you trust it to keep a motor from experiencing part failures in a motor well outside of warranty?? Like 150k miles plus... Or trust in a TGDI motor that dilutes the oil a fair amount??

These are scenarios I would wonder about...

Having said that... There have been examples shown that this grade of oil is noted to be extremely well formulated. That this oil grade is quite a special oil in terms of what is made from in terms of additives and base oils.

I have read where NASCAR teams were running a 0w oil for qualifying runs... Though it certainly was not run on the race day.

I would trust it in any car that spec for it (that means the car has a variable volume oil pump) in any driving condition. The variable pump will pump more oil as needed to offset the low viscosity.

I would not trust it in any car that doesn't spec for it, even in the Arctic in winter, if it doesn't have the right engine / oil pump for it.

NASCAR can spec whatever they want, and use whatever they want, it has nothing to do with street car engine that spec another oil.

One thing I might do for experiment is to blend it with some 5w40 oil that I got for free to make it close to 0w20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back