What Do You Do For A Living?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search and didn't see such a thread. A few other forums I'm a member of have these threads. They're pretty interesting with decent participation usually.

I'll start.

I drive a fuel tanker and train new drivers hired to work out of my terminal. Basically I transport gasoline and diesel from the distribution terminal to the retail location. I worked for a local Anhueser-Busch wholesale distributor before this. Been a truck driver for 12 years now.

Accounting - handle the financial reporting of 14 commercial properties.

Might be a large explanation of my OCD and why I start to panic when oil change reminders start to pop up on my cluster and I cannot bear going 1 day past due.

Used to drive a truck, I delivered fuel as well.
In 1996 I got into IT and been there ever since.
Used to be Unix and Novell. Now I just dabble.

I work as a back counter parts person at a Ford / Mazda dealer. Most people say I am one of the best they have seen, others don't like me. I try to be helpful.

Last edited:
Maintenance Technician for a very well known package shipping/delivery company. Mostly conveyor work, but if they break it, we fix it!

Blue collar. Railroad 1977-1982 freight train conductor. Air freight 1982-2000 owner op delivering overnight packages and heavy weight machinery. 2000-2017 bus operator for New Jersey Transit in and out of Manhattan. Retired now and driving part time for an assisted living facility 10 minutes from home. Quite a ride!

Formally a network engineer, I'm the director of IT for a healthcare-specific logistics and transition company.

30 years Program/Risk Management for a large defense contractor in Tactical Strike Missiles and Air Combat and Air Strikes Systems. Retired at 58 with a Golden Handshake offer. Now doing housework to stay busy.

I'm a computer scientist for the federal government. I've been a fed for 11 years, but have recently accepted a job with a contractor. Don't tell my management.
smile.gif

Was a finance executive in a global high tech company. We were acquired and most of management was shown the door....I hung around longer to bring the two companies together, but happily took severance.

Now just hung up a shingle and started doing management consulting for small/mid size firms and am happy... Have a few great clients and if I never have a full time, staff job in a large company, I will be even happier. Was a bit nervous about jumping out on my own, but I'll take a bit of uncertainty over the political, Machiavellian, back stabbing machinations of exec life. Just had enough for a while.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silverado12
Tanker truck driver. Dry bulk and chemicals; no food grade or fuel. Been trucking for 23 years. Was in law enforcement before that.

Funny...I've trained a couple of ex LEO's for tanker work. There's a few more I see around the loading terminal as well.

I work for a private student loan insurer and like to spend my spare time doing my own car and truck maintenance and detailing as well as some other hobbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back